new pictures : flooring

woodinville guy

I've just uploaded new pictures of the house that I am building for my daughter. The newest edition is the flooring that I just did. I used wooden coffee stir stiks. They are "free" thinner that popsicle sticks. Made of birch. It is slow going, but I like the results.

The album is at: http://community.webshots.com/user/woodinvilleguy

-Dave

Aye sire, looking very good. Great idea to use the wooden stir sticks, I'll have to look for them, we don't have them at work. Wonder if they have them in the coffee section of the grocery store.

Hey Dave,

The floor is looking good!! I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for some of those coffee stir sticks!

-David

Starbucks!!! I bet they have them! There's one on every corner here! By the time I go three miles, I could have a gross of them! Hmmm. Wonder if I'd have to buy coffee? <putting on Ninja gear> Okay, who's with me? It's the great coffee stirrer caper of 2006!

Dave, the floor looks excellent! You're doing a wonderful job. It's definitely worth the extra time and effort to get results like that.

Deb

Starbucks!!! I bet they have them! There's one on every corner here! By the time I go three miles, I could have a gross of them! Hmmm. Wonder if I'd have to buy coffee? <putting on Ninja gear> Okay, who's with me? It's the great coffee stirrer caper of 2006!

Deb

I'm in! Though if we get caught do you think we'd be 'notorious' or 'ridiculous'? :lol:

I'm in! Though if we get caught do you think we'd be 'notorious' or 'ridiculous'? :lol:

At first we'd be notorious, but after the third movie sequel, we'd only be ridiculous. <cackle> Besides, we'd never get caught. <pulling mask down over my face> We are stealthy. We are cats. We are like the wind. We are....<urg> <erk> <ack>......we are tangled in our mask. Someone wanna lend me a hand here?

Deb

Great looking floor Dave! And the Magnolia is coming along beautifully too! I love the colors!

Yep, Starbucks has those coffee stirrer sticks. A friend of mine grabs extra when he's there and then brings them to me.

Darrell & Melissa had acquired a box of them and they had THOUSANDS! At one point they were trying to give them away. With Marg's stash & growing, perhaps she & Andrew oughta invest in a box or two! The thread was either on the old forum here (archives) or possibly DHM's.

Dag-nab-it!!

Our Starbucks is currently under construction!

Dunkin Donuts? Plastic

Tim Hortons? Plastic

I wonder if Krispy Kreme has them???

And what would this movie be called?

I hear pink panther music in my head. They dig up Peter Sellers to star in one more great caper...

The pink panther is Inspector Greenleaf!

What a wonderful job your doing Dave! Which house is that? Im not regonizing it at all? its beauitful though, and your daughter looks VERY happy :lol:

At first we'd be notorious, but after the third movie sequel, we'd only be ridiculous. <cackle> Besides, we'd never get caught. <pulling mask down over my face> We are stealthy. We are cats. We are like the wind. We are....<urg> <erk> <ack>......we are tangled in our mask. Someone wanna lend me a hand here?

Deb

<helping Deb and Doog get their masks untangled> ... Actually I was thinking more along the lines of buying them.. perhaps at Smart & Final :lol: heheheh

-David

What a wonderful job your doing Dave! Which house is that? Im not regonizing it at all? its beauitful though, and your daughter looks VERY happy :angry:

It's the Magnolia by Corona. Thanks and yes she likes it. She is in charge of picking out the colors. THe flooring is stained puritan pine for the outside and the inside will be a light maple (lighter than outside).

I must admit that I had no idea what I was getting myself into. She is now placing orders all over for furniture, dolls, and other stuff.

-Dave

<helping Deb and Doog get their masks untangled> ... Actually I was thinking more along the lines of buying them.. perhaps at Smart & Final :lol: heheheh

-David

I figure that if I have to pay an arm and a leg for coffee at Starbucks they can donate a few sticks. I will most likely pick some up at Costco (We don't have smart & Final in Seattle, I wish they did...) But I'll probably end up with multiple boxes (There are 1000 in a box) I know I researched this too much.

After the flooring I'm going to figure out hour to rip cut these guys and route them to make base boards. They are way too small to use my router on, that would be way to dangerous. I'll probably attempt to score them with a utility knife and a straight edge and them crack them along the ridge. I want to have them be half the width. each board = 3" in scale so the baseboard should be 1.5" in scale.

-Dave

I figure that if I have to pay an arm and a leg for coffee at Starbucks they can donate a few sticks. I will most likely pick some up at Costco (We don't have smart & Final in Seattle, I wish they did...) But I'll probably end up with multiple boxes (There are 1000 in a box) I know I researched this too much.

After the flooring I'm going to figure out hour to rip cut these guys and route them to make base boards. They are way too small to use my router on, that would be way to dangerous. I'll probably attempt to score them with a utility knife and a straight edge and them crack them along the ridge. I want to have them be half the width. each board = 3" in scale so the baseboard should be 1.5" in scale.

-Dave

A few stir sticks I'd take too :lol: but if I really wanted to do alot of flooring I'd probably just buy them - and they look really good from your photos so that's something I'll definitely think about! As for the router blade - they make them in miniature for the dremel and I've seen instructions for how to use yoru dremel in a drill press to make it a mini router. I wish I could remember where I saw them - maybe in the Small Stuff archives?

-David

It's looking good! I used coffee stirrers for flooring on the main floor of my niece's dollhouse. They are so inexpensive--actually, the cafeteria manager in the building where I work gave them to me--so they were free! I was really happy with the result, and liked the fact that I cut out the price, but it doesn't look like I compromised on look or quality.

Jeri

As for the router blade - they make them in miniature for the dremel and I've seen instructions for how to use your dremel in a drill press to make it a mini router.

www.widgetsupply.com sometimes has the mini router bits dirt cheap. I also found a boxed set of a variety of mini router bits at Woodcrafter's on sale. I haven't used the freehand router attachment for my Dremel, but I have used the router table DH got me from Sears. Use push sticks.

The 1000-count boxes were what I recall Darrell & Melissa posting. It seems like a lot, but using them for baseboards and other trim & moldings would have you going through quite a few!

We did get a case of them 10 boxes of 1000 each. I have been using some lately and stiull have 9 unopened boxes. I may use some to make a floor in the Garfield. I am considering laying them on a cardstock template and power sanding it smooth. First before I try a floor, I plan to make wainscoting with it for the dining room. If that goes well, then the floor may be done.

Melissa

The floor looks good. Now everyone will be on the look out for coffee stirrers. I have also found a source for small dowels--you can buy at beauty supply stores. The little paddle things they use to paint color on your hair. They're flat on the ends --easily cut off--but small round most of the way.

I found packs of 1/16" diameter round dowels in a craft store last week. I'm still thinking of getting a draw plate, but so far the only ones I've seen are in the Micro-Mark catalog ($$$), and I'm saving pennies & green stamps for new head- & tailstock chucks for the lathe ($$$$$).

The floor looks good. Now everyone will be on the look out for coffee stirrers. I have also found a source for small dowels--you can buy at beauty supply stores. The little paddle things they use to paint color on your hair. They're flat on the ends --easily cut off--but small round most of the way.

I bet dowels would work as base boards if they are sanded on two sides. just a thought,

-Dave

I'm saving pennies & green stamps for new head- & tailstock chucks for the lathe ($$$$$).

What kind of lathe? If it's a mini lathe ala Harbor Freight, Grizzly, Micro Mark et al then check out Little Machine Shop. They're awesome. Fun guys to deal with, top class product.

If it's a craft lathe from HF, I think your sunk, it's a clone of a Unimat, and they don't seem to sell replacement parts, and believe me, I've looked.

It's a very basic full-sized lathe DH picked up to learn how to turn on, but I discovered I can turn mini furniture legs on it, so there you go. It'll hold standard chucks, we just haven't gotten them yet (DH is too busy finding kayaks & running shoes & hiking sticks & bike parts... you get the idea!).