Close call

pdlnpeabody

For being that premature he is doing really well. I can just imagine the weight he owuld have been if he went to term. At least they have moved the feeding tube so you can try feeding with a bottle. My thoughts are with you and your family. He is an adorable little boy!! And your daughter is so cute!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaden is over 4 1/2 lbs and he isn't even 3 weeks old (33 weeks). He wiggles a lot, but my wife and I haven't been able to see him because we have been sick, including our 10 month old. We did get a package from a law firm I interact with at work. Its a basket full of diapers with Jaden's name on all of them! Its a large basket with a lot of diapers in 3 different sizes and a small teddy bear. It will be a while until he's big enough to wear one, but they're adorable.

Jaden is over 4 1/2 lbs and he isn't even 3 weeks old (33 weeks). He wiggles a lot, but my wife and I haven't been able to see him because we have been sick, including our 10 month old. We did get a package from a law firm I interact with at work. Its a basket full of diapers with Jaden's name on all of them! Its a large basket with a lot of diapers in 3 different sizes and a small teddy bear. It will be a while until he's big enough to wear one, but they're adorable.

So sorry to hear that you haven't been able to see him. Hope you all get better soon!

From how quickly he is gaining weight, it seems as if Jaden will be taking after you in size by the time his 'due date' comes around!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't posted an update lately. Jaden is almost 5 weeks from his due date, but weighs 6.5 lbs. He has pulled out his feeding tube 3 times, but he still needs it. He doesn't cry very much, and he can hold his head up for short periods already. My mother-in-law is supposed to be arriving sometime today (4/18), but she has cancelled her visit several times already. Most importantly, Jaden is doing very well without any complications to his digestive tract or respiratory system.

He is doing really well and obviously a feisy little fellow if he can keep pulling out his feeding tube. You will have you hands full with that one when you get him home as he is going to be up to all kinds of mischief!

What a beautiful family. :) We're all hoping the little squirt gets to come home soon. Any guesses as to when that might be, Jeremy?

Hear, hear!!! ;)

Hugs

I'm so glad to hear he is still doing well. I've only known of two premature babies in my lifetime...and both are sturdy young men, now (one 15, one -- his brother -- 12)...I hope for the same outcome for Jaden.

• 1 month later...
As I suspected, the staff were a little too optimistic, but he was discharged today, May 25th.

You all must be so happy that the family is all together for once! I'm sure you will both take excellent care of those two little ones, especially now that no one has to chose which one to be with - home or hospital!

Little Julianna wants desperately to play with her little brother (or at least explore this new addition to her world) but we can't let her yet.

Unfortunately, things didn't go as well as we had hoped. Jaden's monitor stayed nice and quiet the entire evening-until we put the kids to bed. The alarm went off every 15 to 20 minutes ALL NIGHT LONG. It isn't a quiet alarm like an I.V. pump. It sounds like a smoke detector and is easily 100 decibels. What's more, it doesn't have a volume control or mute button, so it woke up both babies and kept all four of us up all night. The worst part is they were all false alarms! It would read that his pulse was 37, but when we checked his pulse manually, it would be around 145. Its like the electronic version of the boy who cried wolf. Our once quiet, content kids are now fussy and cry all day since they were kept up all night. I just hope we don't have a repeat of last night. Besides the fear of SIDS, Florida's DCF is a contracted, private entity that uses a quota system to get more tax dollars, so they will use any excuse to take kids away from perfectly competent, loving parents. So we won't take the monitor off of him.

One other observation is his navel. At first I thought maybe he had an "outy" but it looks like he has a hernia. I shouldn't be surprised. The same incompetent flunkies from the University of Oops who couldn't diagnose a woman in labor have been taking care of (or should I say learning on) our son. Fortunately we have an appointment with a real doctor tomorrow to find out if I spotted what the med students missed or if I'm hopefully wrong.