New mini tutorials

Deb

A couple of people had asked for tutorials for some of the asian decor I'm making for the Samurai Summer House (bashed Coventry Cottage) and I finally got time today to put the tutorials together with the pictures. They're posted in my blog here if you'd like to see them. The kimono, pillows and chests are toward the bottom of the blog. I'll add more as I go along, but that's what I've got so far.

Deb

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's just so hard to find any asian minis and they're really easy to make so I wanted to share whatever I could. Everyone here has helped me so much that it feels good to finally give back a little bit.

Hay Deb I have a great light that would go with your house it's from a old set of christmas light that my Aunt had I have one in the Garfield you can see a picture of it there

<giggling> You mean like this one? Great minds definitely think alike! I got an auction lot of 50 of them last year. They're my actual Christmas tree decorations but I don't think my xmas tree will miss just one. It's really sweet of you to offer tho.

post-329-1143526253_thumb.jpg

CatColorado:Deb, may I add that link to the tutorials listing?

I'd be honored to have it added to the tutorials. Cool!

Deb

I'm glad to see you have them ,they where made in the early 1960

I have 2 sets too, they are so cute and really detailed.

when I first see them used as a light it was in the MC mag.

I was excited, I went and scrounged them up from my collection of old

christmas things.

I'm glad to see you have them ,they where made in the early 1960

I didn't know what era they were from, so that's just cool to know! I think they're great little ornaments. It's not every day that one sees an oriental christmas tree. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

You know, I'd forgotten that you had asian decor in your Garfield. And you're here in Denver too. Have you been to "Oriental Gifts" in the Aurora mall? It's worth putting on a bullet proof vest to go out there for it. :) They're down in the lower level on the corner by Pennys and just started carrying regular minis. Not many of them yet, but they're getting there and if we encourage them, they'll stock more. But he does have some oriental pieces that work well in mini houses.......a nice selection of various types of statues and even micro mini mud huts and cranes and teeny buddhas that are just the right size for knick knacks in a mini house. It's worth a trip out there.

Deb

Good Morning Deb

I need to go there I know where it is. I just don't get that far, it's a mess on the highway.

There is a little shop in the Westminster mall I wonder if it's the same people?

They have alot of the thing you mendtioned also they have some really cute plants in asian pots.

Also hanging plants that really look real.

I just got a job working at a garden store and they have some mini thing there too,I would like to make

mini flower scene out of the real plants, I think that would be fun.

Donna

There is a little shop in the Westminster mall I wonder if it's the same people?

Yep, that's the same company. I think the store in Westminster is the original store and the one in the Aurora mall is the second store.

I just got a job working at a garden store and they have some mini thing there too,I would like to make

Oh, that would just be totally cool! I think there was an article on mini gardens with real plants in the last issue of Dollhouse Miniatures magazine.

Deb

Donna

Bonsai houseplants, interesting idea.

Deb, since it's a Samurai house you're going to need a katana stand and katana. Shouldn't be too hard to make, I'd prolly go with something like that silver mylar 'leaf' they sell at Michaels et al. for the blades.

Now my original thought, besides saying the tutorials are great, I was wondering how you're doing the roof. I ask because on my horific trip to Canada, while in a bus station in London (Ontario) I saw a poster of a huge building smeowhere in Asia. Think it might have been Korea, I also wondered why you'd take a bus to Korea from Canada. But anyway, the roof was made of lengths of split bamboo. I'd forgotten about it until now. It lloked really cool, reminded me of the training facility in 'The Man With the Golden Gun'. Since you can get really thin bamboo it might be an idea for the roof.

This is the only pic of the thing I have in mind:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

Unfortunately it's small, and you can't go to the larger pic. But you get an idea, it's not the bamboo shingles or thatch, but lengths of bamboo. If I can find a better pic I'll post it.

Hi!

I have the dhm mag from last month. That had the garden with the fountain. I made made a lion's head all I need now is the greenery.

The month be for had a peice on asian plants in pots and a asian garden with a curved bridge and a great little lantern I thought would be neat to make.

Deb, since it's a Samurai house you're going to need a katana stand and katana. Shouldn't be too hard to make, I'd prolly go with something like that silver mylar 'leaf' they sell at Michaels et al. for the blades.

Now my original thought, besides saying the tutorials are great, I was wondering how you're doing the roof. I ask because on my horific trip to Canada, while in a bus station in London (Ontario) I saw a poster of a huge building smeowhere in Asia. Think it might have been Korea, I also wondered why you'd take a bus to Korea from Canada. But anyway, the roof was made of lengths of split bamboo. I'd forgotten about it until now. It lloked really cool, reminded me of the training facility in 'The Man With the Golden Gun'. Since you can get really thin bamboo it might be an idea for the roof.

LOL! Great minds thinking alike, I've got the plans made up for a full set of tanto, katana and wakizashi in a wall mounted stand. Since they'll be in stands, the blades won't show, altho I may do a floor stand for a ceremonial wakizashi on it's own and leave the blade exposed. Your tip about the mylar is excellent. That would look much more to scale than foil. I'm going to use basswood to make the sheaths for the full wall mounted set and can use jewelry fittings for the tsubas. They won't have the clan mon on them, but that's okay. I've even got some fine gold embroidery thread to wrap the hilts. I've been trying to find mini martial arts weapons and the best I can find is still a wee bit too large for scale. However, I did find a jewelry site that has earrings shaped like sais so I'll at least have a pair of those.

Thanks for the idea about the bamboo roof. I'll definitely give that some serious thought coz it would be a totally cool effect. I was going to use paperclay to make clay tiles at first, but the house had different ideas and wanted thatch instead. I'll talk to it about the bamboo and see what it thinks. (believe me, arguing with this house is just an exercise in futility) :)

Donna: The month be for had a peice on asian plants in pots and a asian garden with a curved bridge and a great little lantern I thought would be neat to make.

I love the plans for the japanese garden in the last two DH issues. I've pulled several ideas from them for my garden on this house. The bridge is a must-have!! And the trellis style entry way in the second part of the article is so cool that I'm going to do it on the front of the house as an entry way to the front door in place of the porch. I've almost read the covers off those two issues already.

Deb

Thanks for the idea about the bamboo roof. I'll definitely give that some serious thought coz it would be a totally cool effect. I was going to use paperclay to make clay tiles at first, but the house had different ideas and wanted thatch instead. I'll talk to it about the bamboo and see what it thinks. (believe me, arguing with this house is just an exercise in futility) :)

Deb

Well you could always use bamboo thatch.

ok....i have been following along and LOVE the work!!!! Great job on everything...I am a big fan of Asain!! I decorated my home with it :):) well...my bedroom...I'm still working on getting the hubby to let me do more ;) ok...I got the DHM mag. that had the tree and garden stuff...but not the one with the bridge :p:( anyone know where I can get a copy or directions!!! :o:) please help...I think it would def. be a must have too deb...