Soooooooo Cooooold

Hallowell

I called the oil company for prices(just in case) and it's down to $2.14 a gallon, much better than the $3.20 we paid in August.

Terri, I live in Washington County near Charleroi and we just got oil this week and it was $1.93/gallon. We paid almost $3.80 (it had been up to $4.50/gallon and we wouldn't get it the few weeks before that) in September and then around $2.80 in November and this week it was down to $1.93 and the delivery guy told us it was going down even more. I don't know if it did because gas prices are on the rise this week. We got it on Wednesday.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jokelly, that is a great price. I called about 10 days ago, I'm going to call again on Monday. At those prices we might just get it and be ready for the fall. We live on the border of Allegheny and Westmoreland, and the 2 closest companies are both in Westmoreland. We use either Export or Glassmere, which ever is the cheapest at the time.Are either of them the company you use?

I thought you lived the other direction, out by Greene county, Charleroi isn't that far, about an hour I think.

We use a company called Sutchko. I think it's out of Fayette County. Some companies are higher than others. It seems there are a million little companies in Southwestern PA. I live in the Mid-Mon Valley area between Charleroi and California. The border between Fayette County and Westmoreland County is right across the river and then Greene County is only about 10-15 minutes away. For some reason I thought you lived in Canonsburg. (On a side note, I'm not too confident about the game tomorrow...I feel like a traitor, but I don't think the Steelers are going to pull it out. But I hope I'm wrong.)

When is it every going to warm up? This is the time of year I pull out my Jimmy Buffett and pretend I'm laying on a beach somewhere. I kept catching myself singing "Boat Drinks" this week as I was doing things.

Oil is at $2.19 here in CT. Because the prices went down so much this fall/winter, I still have oil allotted to me from the heating program with the state.

It snowed last night but does not look like 2-5 inches. More like an inch. It stopped snowing for a bit but it will start up again. News still says 2-4. Going to snow all day. The good thing..It is going to be 36 deg F! WooHoo!

Fred freaked out yesterday. The car was really sluggish accelerating. Once you got it going it was fine but when you stopped (like at a light) and then went to go again, slow mo.

He is thinking that it is the transmission. Fred was freaking out! I thought about it and asked if there was anything you could put in the gas tank like antifreeze. I figured the poor car was left outside in the cold all night, somewhere in the line was frozen. Oh no, it is the transmission. So he humors me. Buys the gas antifreeze. Puts it in the car. Then I drive around the corner and top off the tank and get some coffees. Guess what?

Heidi was right! This stuff costs $2 a bottle and it treats up to 20 gallons of fuel. So the next time we get a cold snap like this, I am going to buy a couple bottles of the stuff.

Heidi was right! This stuff costs $2 a bottle and it treats up to 20 gallons of fuel. So the next time we get a cold snap like this, I am going to buy a couple bottles of the stuff.

That's an idea Heidi! My truck hates cranking in weather like this. It hasn't "refused" to crank yet, but I've had to force it to crank whereas normally you turn the key and it immediately cranks. Wonder if that would help with that?

Linda,

Fred says the brand is called Heet. It is a gas line antifreeze. He put the whole bottle in the tank. We left, drove around the corner, I topped off with 1/2 a tank (a bit less then that), got our coffee and everything was fine. A total of 10 mins and it solved the problem. You do not have to top off the tank but I figured since we were right there, it could not hurt. You can put it in after you fill up or before.

Heidi, can you send me the receipie for American Chop Sewy?! Thank you!

We keep our house at 55 degrees at night. We do not heat the bedroom or loft upstairs. What heat up there comes up through the loft balcony area over the dining area. We have triple paned windows and one of them developed a big crack from the ice on the inside of the windows. We keep the house at 55 degrees and bring it up to 65 during the day. It's healthier for both of us. We cannot tolerate the heat. Sleeping at 55 is far more comfortable for us. The plants do better too with a nighttime drop in temperature. My orchids are blooming better with the temp drop.

I am worried however about my brothers in Maine and my kids in Massachusetts. My brothers are elderly and not well, but they tell me that they are warm and are staying indoors. Especially my next older brother who now uses a walker to get around. He has arthritis pretty bad. I hope and pray this cold snap comes back here where it belongs! Right now it's warm outside at 17 degrees. I have to fill my feeders this morning and feed the deer, then it's play time today!

The weather here has been freezing all week and so far it doent look like we are going to get much relief from it yet. The weather here is a low of 3 degrees with some snow but not too much.

Our temperature has now dropped to 10 above. You cannot see outside the windows for the freezing fog we are experiencing. Weird. The windows are all covered with a dense layer of frost, screens included. I just stepped outside and the outside walls of the house - I had to feel them as I can't see them - while holding on to the doorknob are totally ice covered. Back in the house even through it is light outside, you cannot see anything but your own reflection. This is the worst fog I've seen here.

Even the dog doesn't want to go out!

Heidi, after you mentioned American Chop Suey yesterday I immediately went downstairs and made some. Just had to have some. :cold:

I just posted my recipe cause Gina was interested. Leftovers are the best!

We will not be doing to the dump this morning that is for sure! It is scary. Even my nighty had frost on it when I came back in. Just the arm though.......

I wish it would snow......our snow that we have is evaporating rather than melting, and when that happens it just compressed into shiny glazed ice. Not pleasant to drive on.......

Jokelly, With all this snow we're getting right now, (we got about 2" this morning, and it's almost a white out right now and piling up fast) this is Steeler football weather.I think it will be a great game. Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl!!!!!!!! I have to go to the grocery store and I don't know what I dread most, the snowy roads or all the last minute Steeler party people buying game food! If I wasn't out of catfood I'd skip it.

Annette lives in Cannonsburg. I'm right near the turnpike at Monroeville.

Go Steelers!!!!

We Won! We Won! We Won! Sorry, but it's exciting and the game was a nail-bitter. Pittsburgh is going to the Superbowl. We take our football seriously in Southwestern PA.

Ahh, so that's where I got Canonsburg. Corispice lives in the Pittsburgh area, too, I think.

We got another few inches of snow today. Isn't it about time to get a warm-up. At what age do you turn when snow becomes something you love to sometime you despise. I think it's when you start driving in it. I just hope we don't get anymore tonight. I have to leave for work before sun-up and I don't relish driving our hills on a snowy one lane country road with more snow on them.

Yea! Pittsburgh's going to the superbowl AGAIN!

Gotta love that BLACK and GOLD!

Oh I wish I had tickets to the superbowl, wouldn't it be wonderful to go somewhere that's warm!

I don't think they are calling for anymore snow tonight, just cold, cold, cold.

Be careful driving.

I was visiting family in Pittsburgh this weekend, and just couldn't believe the cold. It was -10 each morning, and all that snow! I've never seen anything that cold in my life, and of course never that much snow, being in Atlanta and all. I really don't know how y'all do it! We walked out of the airport in Atlanta, in 26 degrees (which is awful cold for here), exclaiming how warm it was. That got us some pretty strange looks. Stay warm everyone!

Ok, since it wasn't cold enough LAST week....this weekend is supposed to be just as cold, if not worse....I think the lowest low in Bangor last week was -27.....I was in a training with a lady from Houlton (way the heck north!!!) and she said they had cancelled school for the next day because they were expecting -60! SHEESH!!! She said there was no way she was going back that day or the next! As for me....if it gets that cold again, I will not leave my nice warm bed with nice warm flannel sheets, a nice warm electric blankie, a nice warm hubby (when he isn't restless LOL) and four nice warm purring, furry blankies..I mean kitties... :photo:

That stinks Jen. Down here in CT it is going to warm up this weekend..THANKFULLY! I am so sick to death of this weather. I hate the cold. I hate the snow. I hate the ice. Hate it hate it hate it.

*done ranting now*

I wish I could fast forward to March..no wait, scratch that..March brings flooded basements..Fast forward to April. Yeah, April. Sit out on the front porch in the morning with the warm sun hitting your face. Listening to the birds, looking at the emerging flowers. Yeah, I can dream can`t I ?

I also want to fast forward because I am going to have stuff done in the yard this year. Stone Mason in our neighborhood (he is EXCELLENT!) is going to put down a new front walk and repair our stone wall out front. Our wall has a crack in one section and it is leaning more then before. He came by in November and said it will be fine until Spring. He actually said that it is solidly put so it probably wont move at all even after Spring but I do not want to wait.

I also want Spring because I planted a huge bunch of big Alliums in the front and I want to see them.