cane chair bottoms?

miniwendy

Anyone ever replaced a chair bottom made from woven cane webbing? We inherited some old chairs from a relative. They're kitchen chairs with woven cane seats. We've already busted out the bottoms of 3 of the chairs and I'm sure the others are only a step away from the same fate.

It looks like replacement should be fairly simple, but I've never done it before, so I may eat my words before its all over!! The chairs are the kind with a groove around the outside of the cane area, so you can take already woven cane webbing and just put it in with a splice piece.

Where can I buy the cane materials? Does Hobby Lobby/ Michael's/ JoAnne's carry it or am I going to have to order from somewhere? If I'll have to order, can anyone recommend someone?

Also, any tips? I'm familar with basket weaving, but have never done a chair bottom before!

Thanks,

Wendy

Corwin, I use crochet cotton for caning 1:12 chairseats.

BTW, our original diningroom chairs were caled seat ladderback chairs and when they finally "bit the dust" we discovered that the "cane" was tightly twisted craft paper that had been woven around a cardboard form in the core!

DH used to do chair caning, but it was a tedious hobby. He hasn't done it for 20 years. We were able to buy the canes locally back then, but I'm sure it's an internet thing now.

I'd like to learn to do it in mini scale!

As much as i would like to do it, I think my hands are to shaky let me work on embroidery first. ^_^ I love the look of caned furniture.

(not tin but from canes) I hope i spelled that right. :please:

Holly, I had some chairs like that when we first married. I think they are called rush bottom. The rush, or paper, is wrapped around the frame of the chair, rather than through holes in the seat. They lasted a long time, though, until we could find real pressed oak cane bottom. I redid those too-not something I'd want to do again!