A few Opinions

XansGirl

Stains  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which wood stain should go on the gothic/victorian interior?

• Red Chestnut 232
    • English chestnut 233

Ok.

So I decided to turn my house, the Buttercup, into a gothic victorian.

Stained trim outside,

stained wood interior

red carpeting.

ect..

I got 2 stains both minwax

what should I put inside?

Red Chestnut 232

or

English Chestnut 233?

has anyone tried using the velur christmas ribbon for carpeting? the burgundy and red kind? how did it turn out?

Edited by XansGirl

I often post about experimentation, making mock ups, etc. Why not take a kit scrap like a window punchout and stain one with each color, lay you ribbon on the stair and put one stain sample on either side, and decide which one YOU like? Another factor will be wallpaper colors & designs, floor treatments, etc.

Often the house will tell me which color it wants.

I cannot vote without seeing the colors, but I hear colors when I look at them.

I think Holly has the best idea. That's what I do. For a dark stain, I usually use the Minwax Special Walnut oil stain & then a coat of satin clear coat. However, if you follow Holly's suggestion, you will see better what looks the best to you.

Steve in PA

Another option we often use when we can't decide which stain to use is to make individual samples, then try a sample with both colours combined. It can totally change the look! Also try different numbers of coats. Often, 2-3 coats of one with only one coat of the second stain works well. So, take out some scrap samples and experiment until you find what you like!

I will be using a combination of stains for the wood floors in my glencroft-bash.

Well.. I spent about 6 hours doing staining today.. My fingers are totally covered in color.. they're sticky too...

I figured that I'll be using the english chestnut on the outside and the red chestnut on the inside :p

I painted the outside walls with 'Heritage Brick' from Americana and I'm going to be using a burgundy velvet ribbon for the carpet on the inside :)

I just don't know how to glue it on now O_O craft glue? hot glue gun? @_@

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hola!

Well had a rough start to my very first build but now I am determined to finish it, even if it doesn't look perfect. :)

So suggestions? Is it better to paint as you go, or build it and then paint? Any tips in general? I think I am going to keep this one simple and evolve as I go...if it goes well! :lol:

Thanks!

Is it better to paint as you go, or build it and then paint?
Entirely up to you & what the house tells you (learn to listen, the results will be outstanding)
Any tips in general?
Keep it simple. When you start to stress, stop, leave and go do something else and wait for the house to come out of its snit and talk to you again.
I think I am going to keep this one simple and evolve as I go...if it goes well
Follow your own advice and it'll go well.