What are your plans for your Winter Contest-Orchid?

Anne

I would love to make a school or grocery out of my Orchid.... but I'm still not sure which colors to choose for it. For all of those who also have won an Orchid: What are your plans? And will you electrify it? :D

My Orchid is still waiting it's turn to be built. I don't have too many plans to bash it though because this is one small house I really like the design of so I'll probably turn it into a little english country cottage. And you betcha I'm going to light it :D now that I have one lit house under my belt I cant wait to try it again! :p And a little place like that won't need too many lights I don't think. Definitely one for the fireplace (and it Has to have a fireplace) and maybe one or two in other places. I may try hardwire though. I'm not sure I can solder without leaving a lump yet... more practice is definitely needed!

David

I think mine will be a fairytale type cottage with tons of decorative painting on the exterior. That's a long way off in the future though, I have too many things that need my attention at the moment. I don't know if I will electrify, depends if I find the perfect lamp I suppose.

Hi Anne.

I was thinking of making mine into a witches cottage and it will definitely have lighting!:D

Are you going to use neutral colours for it?

I can imagine that you have alot of inspiration living in Austria. I bet the houses are all like fairytale houses there.

There is a lot of inspiration in Austria. But generally I prefer the American Victorian houses. And horror films are also a great inspiration! :p:D I love the "Adams Family house" and the manor in the movie "Casper". Have you already chosen colors, Wendi? I'm still not sure if I will paint it yellow and white or just white with a dark roof. What do you think? And I think I will TRY to light it! :p A fairytale type cottage sounds nice too! Can't wait to see how your Orchids will turn out!!! I'm planning to make a wainscot (is this the right expression?) at the outside.

The orchid is going to be white. :p It just looks like it should be that shade.

Light colours are best because it's a small house. I think dark colours would take away all the lovely detail.

I'll make the walls look like stone I think.

There is a lot of inspiration in Austria. But generally I prefer the American Victorian houses. And horror films are also a great inspiration! :p:D I love the "Adams Family house" and the manor in the movie "Casper". Have you already chosen colors, Wendi? I'm still not sure if I will paint it yellow and white or just white with a dark roof. What do you think? And I think I will TRY to light it! :p A fairytale type cottage sounds nice too! Can't wait to see how your Orchids will turn out!!! I'm planning to make a wainscot (is this the right expression?) at the outside.

• 5 weeks later...

my Orchid (i or should i say my daughters) is going to be a cafe, there will be tables and chairs upstairs too, with a little bathroom for the customers. she has decided that the colour scheme will be creamy green and drak brown windows and trim.

i am jsut sticking on the roof tiles now

I have decided that my Orchid is going to be a little school of the early 20th century. A school with only one classroom :lol: and a small teacher's apartment. If there's enough space I will make a small bathroom and bedroom with a desk upstairs. And downstairs a small classroom and a tiny kitchen with a table. I'm also planning to build a small front garden where the children can play at breaks. I have found some very nice pics of old classrooms at the internet. Hope my little school will turn out nice! :angry:

I have decided that my Orchid is going to be a little school of the early 20th century.

That just sounds totally cool! HBS has old fashioned school desks here. One of my aunts was a genuine schoolmarm in the early 1900's in the Ozarks so I have a fondness for the old one room school houses. I used to love hearing her stories.

Deb

I've seen schoolroom projects in several mini magazines, I think the NAME website has an indes of projects by publication, but it may just be for the US magazines, and not include the European ones. I remember DHMS (Dolls' House & Miniature Scene) ran a couple of issues of schoolroom projects.

Thank you so much for the link, Deb. The desks are so cute! ;) My local dollhouse store offers some school furniture too. I hope they still carry the furniture and accessoires I'm planning to buy. I love old schoolrooms. In Austria we have some very nice school museums. I think I will visit one or two during my summer holidays to get some inspiration. My own school was a turn of the century building too. We had very old maps, stuffed animals and even an one hundred year old human skeleton (I can't remember the name we gave him.... :blink: ).

I will visit the NAME website - thanks for the tip, Holly! :)

If we all put our Orchids together we would have a little city! Wouldn't that be cool? =)

• 1 month later...

All the stuff I need to build the Orchid arrived today! =) I'm so excited! Now I have all the moldings, lamps, electrical supplies, etc. I just can't wait to start building it. Everything is so pretty! I just love the stuff I have ordered. And I already have "designed" all the wallpaper and floors on my PC, just need to print them. So very soon I can start on my first dollhouse kit ever. It will be again very Art Nouveau style - very colorful, playful and romantique. I can't wait to see how it will turn out. :):rolleyes:

My Orchid is going to be either a witch / wizard / haunted house or a dress shop! Quite a difference LOL...........Grungy to delicate!

Shelly...either way I WILL be using paperclay again and I am going to electrify it!