my glencroft - sort of

lmgervais

Walls did not turn out as smooth as I woul like, even with sanding and spackle, so DH is now using drywall mud on both the walls and the ceilings. A bit hard to do in the stairway now that the house is mostly together, I must say!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting on DH to finish with the mud and sanding. In the meantime, I have been working on other things to keep me busy, like the rug for the library, making a FIMO family, making curtains and bedding and wood floors, and trying my hand at furniture-making. Some success, some not so successful, most in process of being finished. Will post pictures when I have something worth showing.

House building put on hold a bit because of son's diagnosis of diabetes on Friday (see post under chit-chat for more info) as I am spending the weekend at the hospital. As much as I miss my mini-ing, RL is just way more important than dh's right now!

• 2 weeks later...

Got back to the house again yesterday. Was tied of waiting for RL to give DH a chance to work on my dh, so I started to paperclay around the upstairs windows. Got the top left one done yesterday, and just finished the top right one. I do hope they look as if the same stonemason made them!

Harder than I thought it would be because my hands are not very steady lately. Also, not quite sure if I am making the stones small/large enough. But, it's progress and so far I like what I have done. Final judgement will have to wait until the stones are painted.

We have a long weekend next weekend (called 'Family Day' - just an excuse to have a stat holiday in February, but we'll take it), and DH promised to do more work on the house and maybe start house #2, which is 'Grandma's House', but will be named either Bellecour or Bellecoeur (I can't decide which). I can hardly wait!

• 3 weeks later...

dh has decided to throw me a curve ball more than half-way through building - it is thinking about changing eras from late 20th century/early this century to very early 20th century (~1910). Problem is, I have to do all the thinking about if and how the bashing done to the house can be modified to accomodate this. So much for the library! Now to find another use for that room.

Houses in 1910 had libraries.

But a small house like the Glencroft? (It is small, isn't it?) I was figuring from the size of it that the people living in it would not be overly wealthy, and probably could not afford one. Or, is my thinking wrong? In the town where my mother grew up in the 40's, there was no public library and only a select few people had more than a handful of books in their house.

• 2 weeks later...

The glencroft, or Stonehurst as Holly suggested, is starting to speak louder to me. As I have written in the thread 'Advice, please 1910 house' under general mini talk, the house keeps asking for more changes. There is now a kitchen entrance, a porch of the kitchen, no bathroom, and an upper side window closed off. Still deciding on the final arrangement for the entrance and whether or not it really, really, really wants wallpaper in some of the rooms!

Hey, if they don't want an indoor bathroom then the walls are painted, probably whitewash.

Too early of a time period for indoor bathrooms in small towns! Walls could still be wallpapered, but I am really hesitant to do it now with all the corners and the house already built, and the fact that I have never done that before. So, I will leave the colours more or less as planned. Not truly accurate for the time period, but the next house will be better now that I know where things are going!

Still have to change the lighting plan as it was oil or kerosine lamps back then - no electricity, so no ceiling fixtures.

Thanks, Elsbeth. I didn't like the asymmetry of the house or the size of it - I always want bigger dh's and more rooms - thus the reason for the changes.

I'm hoping that everything will turn out fine in the end, but I have almost no furniture for it yet, which seems to be presenting a few challenges to make sure that I have enough space for what I want to put in there!

no electricity, so no ceiling fixtures.
Unless you consider the large rind of candleholders that could be lowered to light/ replace the candles (or gas fixtures, remember a lot of houses at the turn of the last Century had gas lights) and raised to light a large room.