my glencroft - sort of

lmgervais

As I have said elsewhere, I have had the glencroft for many years. After starting the basic shell all those years ago, having 3 kids and moving multiple times, it seems that the basic shell has gone missing. However, having a willing husband and most of the templates still, I will finally be able to put it together.

To make things more complicated, instead of just re-creating the pieces we are missing, I've decided to try and 'bash' the kit by making it symetrical about the main peak in the roof (yes, this will give me two pieces to curve). This will give me two additional rooms - which is what I really want! In addition, we are plannig on moving the side walls out a bit to make the rooms a bit bigger. Ambitious, I know :) ! This will then allow us to centre the front door and add extra windows.

Because I really liked the finished product shown on the glencroft blog, I plan on finishing it it paperclay stones. The roof will have to stay as shingles unless I can think of something else, because I don't know how to make paperclay shingles.

I'm so excited to get started :banana: ! I thought I would have to wait until after Christmas, but my husband said we can start this weekend, so I ordered the electrical works today and they should arrive tomorrow if everything isn't snowed in. (I've already been studying the plans and pieces to pre-plan the modifications, so I think that I am ok on that front.)

More to come...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, thanks for the link - it will be very useful when the time comes.

Plans tweaked a bit tonight as I was going over the changes needed for the front pieces. Decided to keep all of split stairways to 2nd floor in hallway, so I will have to change the walls a bit. Not sure if my entry into extra room on first floor will be big enough, though :congrats: .

Hopefully I will stop wanting changes before we start cutting new pieces saturday to replace the lost ones!

I'm so happy! Design plans are coming along nicely for the changes, and I went out and bought the extra wood needed and the paperclay today.

A question for anyone, do I keep going here on progress update, or do I start a picture gallery, or both? I would guess that I should start a picture gallery soon and add a link to it here.

Don't know what happened to my last post...However, by borrowing the picture from "minis on the edge" (I really hope you don't mind too much), this is my electronic cut and paste job of as close to I can get of what I have in mind as the final house. Note that the end pieces will be wider to accommodate the larger windows, hopefully as bumpouts.

I guess when I bash, I really bash!

Guess I will have to start a gallery once pieces sart coming together.... ;)

Edited by Minis On The Edge
to remove picture

I, for one, would like you to go ahead and start the album so we can see each step of your progress, and later someone can link it for a tutorial on kitbashing the Glencroft. I LOVE the Glencroft, and cannot wait to see how yours comes out. I met Tracy in person when the Building Team was blogging that one, and got to see her shingles & other paperclay work.

I've started a gallery, but I've also attached here my hand-drawn sketch of what I hope it will look like when it's done.

(Sorry Tracy, I will never do it again! :) )

Oh how COOL is that going to be! I have the Glencroft--ordered it from HBS during their 40% off sale and haven't started on it yet. Seeing this makes me wonder if I shouldn't wait for the next 40% sale and get another one, so you HAVE to :D take pictures for me as you go. This could end up being the best house ever! (Uh..I think Im more excited than you are LOL!)

I don't think you could be more excited than me. My electrical kit arrived today and I was thrilled. I have no stores close to me, so a trip to Toronto will have to happen in February or March, depending on how fast progress happens on the house. (I do not like ordering things unless I can see them.)

Because of the missing walls and floors (but I still have the sheets) and all of the bashing we are going to do, I have been re-designing some of the main pieces to see how everything will go together. This morning, my 12 year old daughter told me that, ever since I got the kit out, that I am always working on the plans. All that I can say is that they are generally never very far from me when I'm home!

Thanks for the compliment - let's just hope it works out the way I want it to!

Yes, there will be bay windows on both sides, top and bottom similar to the original left side of the Glencroft, and I'm hoping to make the top window over the door a bay also. My daughter would like a balcony, but that will have to wait until the next house...

The plans are to keep the interior similar to the original layout, sort of. The smaller bedroom will be pushed out to accommodate the larger window and to make it bigger. This will also be more-or-less mirrored on the other side. The only major plans for changing the inside involve the staircase. As the additional room upstairs will be a bathroom, I hope to have the stairs go up as intended, then split in two up to a dorr on either side, so the hallway will be wider at the top and both rooms will be closed off from the stairs.

My only problem right now is access to the additional room on the first floor. I'm hoping to replace the bookcase with a doorway, but not sure if I will have enough height.

This probably sounds really complicated, so I will post floor layout sketches in my gallery once I am happy with them.

As for my daughter, I now have her involved in creating the family and she will help choosing things for the house once construction is done.

The bashing has begun! Today, my husband :cold: cut out most of the front walls with their new dimensions!

I bought the wrong wood to cut out the pieces we were missing, so this will be a real bash with the exterior walls and floors made from slightly thicker plywood than the rest of the house.

Sidewalls tomorrow, then dry-fitting can begin :yes:

Liza, your bash idea looks Fabulous dear! I really can't wait to see more shots of it. It's also so cool you got your daughter involved in helping with this. It's fun to have the family involved too. :jumping:

I had already decided on the family (parents, 2 boys, baby girl) and pets (2 cats, 1 dog, 1 bird)I wanted for the dh, so I started by letting my daughter help me pick out names for everyone. Some are still up in the air, but we are working on that.

I'm also going to let my daughter (12) help me pick out the people and furnishings for the rooms at some point in time. I don't really like ordering from catalogues (what is the full name of the place people keep refering to, by the way?), there is a really large store in Toronto about 4 hours away, so we will probably go there at some point after Christmas and be like kids in a candy shop - I will be saving up my money once Christmas shopping is over :jumping:

Because I saw the idea elsewhere on this site, I have even started a small story about the family. And, given that I already have my sites set on another, larger house, the story includes a rumor that there are plans for a house to be built next door!

the full name of the place people keep refering to, by the way?
You mean Hobby builders' Supply/ http://www.miniatures.com ? As for the family, etc, that's how I got started making my own dolls; the houses just didn't like what's available out there and my budget can't afford artisan-made (although if it did I'd be overworking The Wolfmeister!)

Thank you for the name of HBS.

Hubby is currently cutting new side walls and the smaller front ones for all the bumpouts. The pile of pieces is increasing, and I'm so excited about it. Details and window/door openings have not yet been cut, but I hope to do the first dry-fit tomorrow afternoon. :lol:

Will try and take pictures as things go along and upload them to my gallery.

Things will soon start moving quicker, I hope!

Have started adding pictures to my gallery. Will continue to do so as things progress.

Anyone know how to make paper pattern look like vinyl or ceramic? Want to use it for the bathroom floor, but it needs a protective finish of some sort.

Later