my glencroft - sort of

lmgervais

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making more progress, but slowly.

Because of the bashing, some of the tabs and slots need to be moved. Also, some pieces become redundant while others are needed in duplicate or triplicate. We're up to the part of cutting the notches in the first floor to accommodate the 'centre' partion. Notches and slots are cut as we go along, because the dimensions do not always match, especially since we are using a mix of wood thicknesses. Found out that I need 2 more pieces similar to N cut for the top R & L windows.

Hopefully have some new pics soon, but youngest has a hockey game tonight so hubby can't help me.

My successes of today: I used the drill and the jigsaw for the first time - and on my own, too! All that I can say is 'thank goodness for wood filler....' :)

Things are coming along nicely, but slowly, because this bashing means I have to take things slowly to make sure they fit together properly, and hubby can only help me after supper. We're still at the dry-fit stage, because none of the window openings have been cut - waiting until I can see the whole front together to locate them so things look 'right'. The house is telling me it wants to be symetrical on the outside, with everything lined up properly. And this started because the family insisted on having a bathroom!

The extra pieces have been cut for the upper windows, the centre partition added, the second floor and the lower half of the inside left wall dry fit. I've chosen to make the inside left wall into at least three pieces. Downstairs part will stay as one, but I need to change the location upstairs in order to keep all the stairs in the hallway. Haven't quite figured out where it goes yet, or the exact opening in the second floor for the stairs. Will also have to make an additional piece or two to close off the hallway from the other rooms. Will add more pictures to the gallery once the left inside wall(s) are in place so that it is easier to understand what I am doing.

Most important of all, even though the house pieces sometimes fall down, I amhaving so much fun working on it, and hubby likes to work on it, too!

OK, now I think I have a bit of a dilemma. Does anyone (Tracy?) know what order to do things in once the shell is built?

Do I paperclay the outside first? What if I don't have enough? Can I leave it partially finished and come back once I've bought more?

Do I do the wiring before or after the paperclay? (I want paint or wallpaper for the inside of the house)

Just trying to figure out what would be easier to do next, once everything is assembled.

Thanks

It's true, I am making it bigger, but only longer. The family absolutely insisted on having a bathroom, which is where it all started. I just hope that it turns out well.

Hubby's note: no bashing next time, as I really bashed the house this time - to the point where we had to design some of our own pieces!

Liza sorry for my slow response.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

As for the slow response, don't worry. I tend to ask questions before I need the answers, so that I can plan in my head where to go next.

Thanks again. Take care.

Added a new picture to the gallery this morning of the interior painted with their proposed colours and fabric samples. Yes, it is very bright and non-traditional, sort of an updated stone house. Now I have to find a good name for it.