I have lots of questions.....

Shakyshaky

Hafco rings a bell 'way off in the recesses of my memory, but not where I can get to it; Oh, Wende! :(

If you're talking about foods appropriate to different time periods, check some of the "Dougless Guides" (I think that MC offers them through Scott Publications), she's great about historical suthenticity of food, clothing, decor, furnishings, architectural details, etc.

Aha! It's Hofco House, Inc. Someone on eBay.ca shows a box, so I'm going to give their full address for later research use: 1 Council Dr., P.O. Box 103, Woodsboro, MD 21798. Phone 800-638-2069 or 301-898-7834. (These are probably 25-year-old numbers and most likely no longer belong to this company.) This was a small company that sold higher-priced houses in the 1980s.

That box shows a side addition very similar to what RGT makes for its houses. They also made their own doors and windows.

Your "Sunshine Cottage" is the Byron Free house #161. Search eBay's completed auctions, and you can see a photo. The extension on eBay may have been #163.

#194 was a Victorian farmhouse. (Is this the farmhouse with the center gable?)

#214 was the Victorian Classic, probably larger.

#252 was the Victorian Townhouse.

There was a Georgian house.

There was a front-opening Federal house.

Hofco most likely closed its operations just before 1992, as that's when Vintage Lumber moved to that address, and people report buying Hofco houses as late as 1987. There's no other connection with Vintage Lumber.

Okay, I found the old incorporation records for Hofco. It's confusing, as there were husband and wife Holwecks who owned different businesses. It was the husband who owned the dollhouse manufacturing end, which existed as a separate entity from 14 November 1986 until it went belly up over unpaid taxes in October 1989. (His wife was the official owner of a similarly named company that started as Holweck Furniture in 1980 and succumbed to the same problems in November 1992.) So the effective dates for Hofco houses to be made were probably late 1986 to late 1989.

It's not impossible that the plans were bought by some other company, as alt.recreation.dollhouse refers to Hofco as "coming and going." Some of their stuff looks like Walmer, now a branch of RGT. And RGT did some acquiring in the 1990s, as I know they bought Batrie.

Thanks guys. I have spent way to much time tonight trying to find what would be served for lunch about 1890. Still not sure.

I will definatly look up that house. 1986 is the right year. Thanks so much for all your work finding it for me. :) My house came with a deed that has the logo on it. kinda neat to have a deed for my house I think.

When you mentioned you were wodering about 1890's lunch I started thnking that there really isn't much mention of lunch in cookbooks, etc., of the time. You piqued my interest so I went a-hunting.

Lunch was whatever was leftover from breakfast or supper the night before. By the way, many still refered to the mid-day meal as dinner from what I’ve seen.Here are sample breakfast menus from the 1890’s.

BREAKFASTS. .

Fall and Winter.

1. Melon. Fried Mush. Fried Oysters. Potatoes. Rolls. Coffee or Cocoa.

2. Melon or Fruit. Graham Cakes. Maple Syrup. New Pickles. Broiled Steak. Corn Oysters. Coffee or Cocoa.

3. Melon or Fruit. Fried Oat Meal Mush. Syrup. Bacon, Dipped in Eggs. Fried Potatoes. Coffee.

4. Oranges. Warm Biscuit. Jelly. Broiled Oysters on Toast. Rice Balls. Coffee.

5. Oranges. Mackerel. Fried Potatoes. Ham Toast. Muffins.

6. Breakfast Bacon. Corn Griddle Cakes. Syrup. Boiled Eggs. Baked Potatoes.

Spring and Summer.

1. Fruit. Muffins. Ham. Eggs. Radishes. Onions. Coffee.

2. Fruit. Light Biscuit. Breakfast Bacon. Scrambled Eggs. Fried Potatoes. Coffee.

3. Fruit. Corn Meal Muffins. Veal Cutlets. French Toast. Radishes. New Onions. Coffee.

4. Strawberries. Lamb Chops. Cream Potatoes. Graham Muffins. Coffee.

5. Raspberries. Oat Meal and Cream. Sweet Breads. Sliced Tomatoes. Hamburg Steak. Fried Potatoes. Coffee.

6. Berries. Breakfast Bacon, Dipped in Butter and Fried. Sliced Tomatoes. Baked Potatoes. Muffins. Coffee.

Chicken was for Sundays or special occasions. There were many recipies for chicken salad to use up the leftovers, and I remember reading references to it for luncheon in the early 1900’s.

I also read mention of cheese sandwiches a lot, and boiled eggs.

There's a section in the food timeline about school lunches . They mention some menus used @ 1915.

I hope this helps you out.

Thanks so much! I knew they called lunch dinner I just could not figure out what was lunch and what was dinner. :) That also explains why I could not find anything. I did find out that pancakes were dessert.

Does anyone know how to make scale bread slices? I made some bread loafs but can not get it to slice thin enough without messing up the shape of the bread.

That is my house! Mine does not have the addition though. I would love to see pics of the others made by them. Do you have any idea where to find those? You really do have an amazing knowlege of minis!

Calamari, you totally amaze me! How do you know all this stuff? You're a genuine living encylopedia of minis.

*blushes*

It's mostly knowing where to look for information... though I got a leg up when I discovered my parents' under-the-bed collection of 1980s kits, which provided a lot of brand names. (Okay, and I'm also old enough to remember the 1980s... ah, the glory days when San Jose had SEVEN miniature shops, not one of which I could afford to shop at!)

I'm working on documenting as much as possible in my blog, so if anyone has additional info or spots an error, please do let me know!

I'm working on documenting as much as possible in my blog, so if anyone has additional info or spots an error, please do let me know!

It's just very cool that you're sharing that information with us. Thank you!!

Deb

Okay I think of things I want to ask all day and sit to ask them and my mind goes blank. ( yes I have tried to write them down but I lost one list and the dog ate one list )

How do you do the tissue paper / stucco treatment? I know there is probably instructions somewhere around here if you could just tell me where exactly, I get lost easy. :D

And I need thoughts on what to do for stairs in the country victorian to go to the attic floor. I was thinking spiral stairs but I need someone else's opinion. If I used straight stairs it would put the top of the stairs right at the wall /roof. Can anyone think of something besides a spiral stair?

How do you do the tissue paper / stucco treatment?

this I can help with.

previously I have used mod-podge and tolit tissue but at this time I am using paint.

you take the glue or paint and paint the surface

than take a couple of sheets of tissue and lay on the wet surface.

next paint or glue over the top of tissue. how much to use or how many times you cover an area depends on the look you want to acheive. you will understand what I mean when you are doing it.

this is a very quick and easy method.

give it a go on a scrap peice of wood.

what are you thinking of using it on?

nutti :D

Melanie, HBS sells folding attic stairs. Of course, after I got a set I saw a tutorial somewhere to MAKE a set, and of course now I no longer know where I saw it, except that if it was online I have lost the bookmark! :D:D

I guess I should have said the Country Victorian is a 1910 house. I don't think they had folding attic stairs then. Does anyone know for sure?

I was thinking of useing it on the outside of the orchid and maybe future ceilings. By the way Nutti how tall is that tree you hung the birdhouses on? How did you make it?

this I can help with.

previously I have used mod-podge and tolit tissue but at this time I am using paint.

you take the glue or paint and paint the surface

than take a couple of sheets of tissue and lay on the wet surface.

next paint or glue over the top of tissue. how much to use or how many times you cover an area depends on the look you want to acheive. you will understand what I mean when you are doing it.

this is a very quick and easy method.

give it a go on a scrap peice of wood.

what are you thinking of using it on?

Nutti, gave you good instructions. I want to add to use a lotion free tissue.

My opinion is to use facial tissue. We used toilet tissue on Alysia's Buttercup but the result wasn't good. We covered it with spackle. There are variables, too. We used a cheap brand of toilet paper. And once I left Alysia(11) alone to finish I think she was loading her brush with too much paint. But even when I was applying it it turn to mush quickly. Mabyn used facial tissuse in hers and it seem to work better. I want to try to decopage a house with flowered patterned tissue paper, the kind they wrap gifts with, but I would have to buy another house.

I have never used the tissue method but I love the effects you all achieve with this look. Thanks for the tip about not using the onoe with lotion!

Melanie, have you seen Davids Dragon scnonces he made? They are WONDERFUL!! He used beads and I have seen others use jewlry findings and beads to make theses

:D

*blushes*

It's mostly knowing where to look for information... though I got a leg up when I discovered my parents' under-the-bed collection of 1980s kits, which provided a lot of brand names. (Okay, and I'm also old enough to remember the 1980s... ah, the glory days when San Jose had SEVEN miniature shops, not one of which I could afford to shop at!)

I'm interested in finishing a dollhouse roof like a couple I've seen in the Gallery. It looks like layers of scrapbook papers ... laid out in a kind of hodge podge style. Do you know how I can achieve this effect?

Maybe it's been discussed before, but I've looked through the archives and haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks.

Susanne

When you mentioned you were wodering about 1890's lunch I started thnking that there really isn't much mention of lunch in cookbooks, etc., of the time. You piqued my interest so I went a-hunting.

Lunch was whatever was leftover from breakfast or supper the night before. By the way, many still refered to the mid-day meal as dinner from what I've seen.Here are sample breakfast menus from the 1890's.

When I was a child, my mother called lunch (dinner) and dinner (supper). She got that from her parents and they were alive in the late 1800s.

She also called the living room the parlor. Dad used to tell her she sounded Hoity toity. What a crack up!

Gave me a lil nostalgia!

I call lunch dinner and dinner supper too. Drives dh nuts!

Anyone know where I can find mini wigs? I will add this here so it is less obvious.... I have been on ebay. I was good. I stayed off for three months but since I can't put in my hbs order ( I have been put on a budget) I thought I would look for a few little things... :D:D

By the way Nutti how tall is that tree you hung the birdhouses on? How did you make it?

well I went and found my tree to measure it and its about 14 inches tall.

now how did I make it.....somewhere I found some instructions around Halloween 2 years ago for spooky trees. the trunk and limbs are made by scrunching aluminum foil into a satisfying tree look.

I believe I started with the trunk...added the limbs and the roots squishing each peice of the foil into each other. when I thought it looked like a tree shape I covered it in masking tape and than painted it.

it has a face on it also...used tolit paper shapes and glued them on....if these sound like your directions anyone...thanks!

I did not use it when I made it coz everyone lol at it and told me it looked like an apple tree from the Wizard of Oz...no one lol this year when I put my spider houses on it and cobwebs.

it is very light weight and semi flexible.

well I hoped that helped....rofl :D

and if someone recognizes the instructions it would be great if they could post the link.....hmmmm just got a flash...lemme do another search.

ahhh ha! found it!

and it wasnt masking tape it was tissue paper and glue!

this is a great link I hope you enjoy it!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/179315...033727633RtfDzu