Newbie-RGT Milled Plywood Dollhouse

pumkinpie

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie and about to build my first dollhouse, just ordered the kit. It's an RGT Milled Plywood Dollhouse.

I already have a few questions about the type of building supplies that might be best, etc. I want to use water based flat latex paint for painting the interior and exterior of the house. What type of brushes are best for this? Are foam brushes any good for painting and staining? When I stain the floors I want to use waterbased minwax stain.Still mulling on the color maybe mahogany, walnut or maple? What kind of tools are good for scoring the floorboards?

Before assembling the house I was thinking of painting the exterior walls and also painting the ceilings and staining the floorboards. Is this going to make the job easier? I am kind of apprehensive but I would like to tapewire the dollhouse also. Is it best to prime the walls before running tapewire inside or is it okay to stick the tapewire on bare walls?

Also I was wondering is it cheaper to buy supplies e.g. glue, brushes, tools and paint from hardware store (e.g. Home Depot) rather than order online from a dollhouse miniatures store?

I already have a few questions about the type of building supplies that might be best, etc. I want to use water based flat latex paint for painting the interior and exterior of the house. What type of brushes are best for this? Are foam brushes any good for painting and staining? When I stain the floors I want to use waterbased minwax stain.Still mulling on the color maybe mahogany, walnut or maple? What kind of tools are good for scoring the floorboards?
I use regular ol' 1" paintbrushes and don't load them with too much paint, a little goes a LONG way. I find cheap foam brushes tend to start shedding foam crumbs after a few strokes. I prefer to use a rag for applying stain, either water-based or oil-based; I prefer the gel stains, and whatever color I think will look best with the overall decor.

To score the "boards" into plywood I use a steel straightedge and turn my heavy-duty utiliity knife upside down and use the back of the blade's point VERY CAREFULLY.

Before assembling the house I was thinking of painting the exterior walls and also painting the ceilings and staining the floorboards. Is this going to make the job easier?...
It does for me, although I don't paint the exterior until after assembly, once the house tells me what it wants its exterior to look like.

Also I was wondering is it cheaper to buy supplies e.g. glue, brushes, tools and paint from hardware store (e.g. Home Depot) rather than order online from a dollhouse miniatures store?
:D Yes.

I'm building the Montpelier RGT MP House, I also ordered 2 dormers for the roof.

I built that house several years ago and loved it. I sold it and wish I hadn't now. The milled plywood is not as heavy as MDF. I didn't put dormers on mine. The rooms are good size. I'd like to get another one whenever I sell some of what I have now. It's a really nice house.

You will do just fine! You've received tons of expert advice already. I use interior latex semi-gloss on my houses. I like a little shine. Can't wait to see pics of your house. I did tapewire directly to bare walls in one of my houses, and wallpapered over it. I have not found it to be any different than the one that I painted first.

The only reason I would suggest priming or otherwise sealing your interior walls before wiring is to prevent the eventual discoloration that can occur as the natural acids in raw wood react with the paint or wallpaper you put on it.

Hi pumpkin pie! Cute name! I just finished the RGT discount dollhouse. It was a breeze! I second Holly's motion on priming before wiring. Also, the tapewiring blended in very well and no noticeable seams, lumps or bumps thru the wallpaper.

Lynne

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

I built the RGT Woodstock (milled plywood). For areas that will require more than a dab of paint, I buy a quart of regular paint like Baer. It's better and cheaper in the long run.

I always prime everything just in case! I am the priming queen!

Have fun! :jumping:

Always put primer on the wood, inside and out. You won't use so much paint when it comes to painting the DH, if it you wallpaper the interior, the primer will keep the wood from absorbing the wallpaper.

Personally, I like to use enamel when painting my DH. Yes, latex is easier to clean up afterwards, but with enamel, its easier to clean the DH. Just my opinion.