Chocolate Cake for the masses.......

Wolfie

I also made this and I subb'd water for the oil and it came out fine and a couple hundred calories fewer, (not that one should be counting with a decadent treat) but my gallbladder that is currently awaiting the nice surgeon to clear his table for it did painfully protest the oil version.

I also thought that instead of vanilla, one could go peppermint extract for a coccomint treat!

Gina..you are my HERO!!!

Michelle, try subbing unsweetened applesauce for the oil, when I try for gingerbread I'm going to do that and leave out the chocolate, sub cane syrup for the sugar and raisins for the chips and add a full teaspoon of Indian ginger powder.

OMG Michelle! The baby is gorgeous! All the kids are gorgeous!

I have to admit I havent made it yet. But I have it printed out and on my fridge. Too much going on for me to remember to do it.

I will because with all these Oos! and Aahs! I must try it.

Doug has decided that he can't has his cake without several spoons of vanilla icecream on it! This is sure saving my having to throw away leftover cake - which I normally do, Scenerio: "Gina, why don't you make a nice cake today?" "OK Doug." "Boy this is good Gina!"(first day), 5th day: "Gina, the cake is hard!" "Doug, you said you would finish it up three days ago." "I know, but I got bored with it!" "OK, out it goes." So now he gets only one nice piece of fresh cake at a time....... This works well for us! As for the other flavors, I have not experimented yet.......

I must admit that I haven't tried this yet either. I had just bought a cake when the recipe was posted.

Gina, I know where you're coming from when having to throw out cake. Huge difference from years ago when DH#1 and the boys were here. If a cake lasted more then 2 days around here, there was something wrong.

Oh this sounds great I will have to try it!! I love to bake, but when there are left-over sweets, I feel obligated to eat them! Star member of the Clean Plate Club here!--so this is perfect--one serving, no left-overs!! Thanks Wolfie!

Tappy

I made the cake. One with chocolate chips and one with peanut butter chips. Mmm!

I am going to monkey with this (as we all probably are) and try different flavor combinations.

Thanks Gina!

Kathy, you can make it without chocolate chips. In fact I think I may have to try it one day with a dollop of cherry preserves, to see if it'll taste like Black Forest torte!

I was thinking the same thing! I was also thinking of making something with pumpkin pie filling. Or an apple brown betty in a cup! (with apple pie filling from the can).

I put in a tsp of powdered Indian ginger and hefty sprinkles of powdered cloves & cinnamon and left out the sugar, chocolate chips & cocoa. I stirred in a Tbsp of raisins. For the liquid ingredients I subbed water for milk (the best gingerbread recipe I have is a hot-water recipe from S GA) and I added 3 Tbsps of straight ribbon cane syrup. Next time I'll throw in a Tbsp of dark brown sugar, too; I'm still tweaking this. It made a lovely light, moist gingerbread. 3 Tbsps of oil may be too much, though; the gingerbread rose up almost out of the mug!lol

• 4 weeks later...

Next time try my Black Forest Cherry Torte!!!!! Make the chocolate cake the regular way, when done, spread with Cherry Jam Filling. Add Whipped Cream (your choice on that - we love the real deal), and sprinkle chocolate shavings on the top and then add a cherry! Wow! It's wonderful! Like being in Austria........

This cake can be done so many ways......and Holly has some fabulous ideas and receipes for it! Thank you Holly!

We still prefer the chocolate version....I guess you could say we are "boring." LOL I love it with my spiced mocha coffee as well......and the new Coffee Mate Sweet Italian Cream is the final addition to that!

Well I came on the forum just to find the recipe again LOL....now that I have the nasty gallbladder out (YAY) I am really looking forward to having this again only without the threat of a hospital trip for morphine hanging over my head.

All of the variations look yummy and I am sure to try several out over the next while ;)

You remain my HERO Gina!! ((hugs))