What do you think?

Anya

Thanks. I really think that flocking is a great technique, I'm going to try and use it on most animals I make.

If any of you know of any other techniques I could try I'd be glad for the info.

Thanks for the link havanaholly..

Shakyshaky. What does dh mean?

I know what you mean about computer games they are rubbish, my husband gets obsessed from time to time so I torture him with dolls house talk. :)

Oh why can't our men be as creative as us?

Just goes to show creativity is a womans domain. Most men are hopless.

Just goes to show creativity is a womans domain. Most men are hopless.

I can't agree with this entirely, have you looked at the guys on this forums houses and fixings? These guys are very creative and do great work.

And without my dh (dear hubby) help I would have never got the Lily built.

The flocking does seem to add realism to your Great Dane, he looks very good. Your getting great at making these animals--think you could do a Boston Terrier?

Peggi

I can't agree with this entirely, have you looked at the guys on this forums houses and fixings?  These guys are very creative and do great work.

And without my dh (dear hubby) help I would have never got the Lily built.

The flocking does seem to add realism to your Great Dane, he looks very good.  Your getting great at making these animals--think you could do a Boston Terrier?

Peggi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree that the men on here are very talented, but they are in the minority when it comes to dolls houses.

Most of the men I know or have met aren't the slightest bit interested in doing anything creative. My husband has a creative streak but he prefers to play computer games I think.

I could make a Boston Terrier, they are very cute dogs :rolleyes:. Are they small and look a bit like a boxer? I think they are either usually brindle/white or black/white. Right now my life has been taken over by owls and cats.

Once I finish my miniatures course I am going to have a break for a while and then start making animals again in the summer.

I love my hobby, but I never thought that so many people on my course would want me to make them animals. I don't want it to become a business because I want to enjoy what I do. When I enjoy making something I put alot of effort into what I am doing, if I was to do this for a business I wouldn't enjoy it anymore.

I think that there are alot of miniaturist and artists in general who could probably relate to that.

I think that there are alot of miniaturist and artists in general who could probably relate to that.

I have to say that I wouldn't be one of them. <gentle smile> I've been an artist for a long time and a mini-ist for a short time............but I'd give about anything in the world do be able to do either one of them full time. Nothing could be better for me than earning a living doing what I love. I've been working since I was 14 and I've liked all my jobs, but I nuture my soul by creating things......and I hope that the things I create nurture others in return. I certainly don't speak for anyone but myself, but if there were enough of a market to support my art, I would love every minute of it. I've run my own business and while admin can be tedious, even that part of it wouldn't detract from the joy of creating. I'd see it as a blessing to be able to earn a living by creating things that bring beauty and happiness to others. :rolleyes:

Deb

Deb, Apart from the strained shoulder, headache behind the eyes etc (oh I do love complaining :blink: ) I do love making my animals.

For the order I am doing for my college, I spend the whole day with my daughter then by 6.30pm husband takes over and I am making animals til 1am. Sometimes it takes a whole night to complete one body, unpainted and if things go wrong (like the time I burnt a batch of chicks in the oven) I have to start all over again so there are big downsides. And if you feel like making a dog but you have to finish off 7 hens you can feel a little tired of it. I have to finish 30 animals for the people on my course in 3 weeks. That's when the course ends. After that I can relax. Because I do this as a hobby I don't mind making the odd animals here and there for others but but I never knew how many people on my course would be interested. :rolleyes:

I think if I had to do this as a proffesional job and rely on the income alone it would be hell. The reasons why are that there are customers who are timewasters or promise they'll pay you in a week and then the week turns into a month etc and you could have spent a week making an animal that they wanted.

There would be no time for my daughter or my husband, life would just revolve around making animals all day and every day. To do this as a hobby is great and if people want an animal and decide they don't want it there is no problem. I can sell the animal on or keep it myself. If I was running a business that wouldn't be the case, I would have to sell that animal for a ridiculous amount to get a decent wage and I doubt many people would pay £90 for a cockerel.

If you want to try and make a living from your art that would be great, this is just my take on it, I think it is amazing if people can do it full time. I on the other hand would go mad and blind. :D

:blink: Now we truly know you are a miniaturist! :D

I have to agree with you on customers who are cagey on custom work. That is why I sometimes try to avoid it unless it is a small item I know I can sell elsewhere. Also, custom work doesn't even begin until a non-refundable deposit is paid--and usually this goes just for a few basic materials. I can somewhat see your point of view on this, I was making miniature books before show and even on the road TO show, until I thought I would go mad. :rolleyes: As with the clay, cutting and aging the paper, leather, charms, etc. is time consuming, so alot of time goes into making the 'blanks' so to speak, and then doing the fun part--decorating. Even though it's hectic --wouldn't have any other job--this is a dream, and certainly much better than my former job where I had the mentality each morning before shift of 'time to make the donuts'. B) Now, I only have to answer to myself --(and maybe evil boss slave driver! :p that's dear hubby) this way I get to stay home, make minis, process orders, and sit in my jammies and bunny slippers! B)

Sunnyray it sounds like you really got your hands full right now. What are you majoring in in college? It must be a fun course if you get to make animals for the class.

My avatar shows George, our Boston Terrier. They are sorta like miniature boxers, dressed in a Tux LOL Maybe when you get caught up you will let me know if you're interested in making me one and we can discuss the details.

Peggi

Sunnyray it sounds like you really got your hands full right now. What are you majoring in in college? It must be a fun course if you get to make animals for the class.

My avatar shows George, our Boston Terrier. They are sorta like miniature boxers, dressed in a Tux LOL Maybe when you get caught up you will let me know if you're interested in making me one and we can discuss the details.

Peggi

Peggi In college I am not aiming for any qualificaitons, I am just studying distressing techniques and making a 1/12 cottage. It was fun making animals for the class in the beginning but now I am getting a bit tired of the repetition and want to try some new animals.

As soon as I have some free time I will let you know.:blink:

Lisa. It must be pretty hard to make a custom book. With an animal I have a pic to work from at least.

You must have to design the book from scratch to the customers taste and if you get an fickle customer...

Need I say more.