what to use between wallpaper and weight?

Luanne

Is there a particular material you prefer to put on the wallpaper immediately after applying glue and the weight while it's drying? Maybe something that doesn't stick? foil perhaps? thanks.

I've always used wax paper from the grocery store. I think I pay about a dollar for a roll of it & it goes a long ways! I've never had my wallpaper stick to it. This is what I used when I used mod podge and/or tacky glue to adhere my wallpaper. Since I've started using wallpaper paste, I don't weigh the paper down anymore - I just crumple up a wad of wax paper & run that across the wallpaper'd wall (immediately after adhering the wall paper to the wall with wallpaper paste) to smooth out any little bubbles or bumps & wrinkles. Works like a charm!

I also use wax paper. I put a sheet under whatever I am working on then when that gets dirty (covered with paint or glue) I just cover it with another sheet. It also makes a good drop cloth to cover sufaces you want to protect in your doll house.

Wax Paper is the material of choice for me....I even use it on 12" scale woodworking projects. For wallpapering, I would put a layer of wax paper over it followed by a layer of foamcore masonite or other flat smooth material and then my weights...dictionaries, encyclopedias etc work well in that dept.

Ed

neat product. is that the " yes" brand?

Yep, that's the brand I'm using. It is a dream to work with - I won't go back to mod podge or glue after using this. I never have to weigh my papered walls down anymore - by the time I'm done smoothing out any wrinkles, etc. it's dry enough to not need it, and a little bit goes a very long ways! Mod podge & glue work very well for wall papering & I'm glad I had it available before I got the wallpaper paste - but for me, the wallpaper paste just seems much easier to work with.

As far as the wax paper goes, I find it a "must have" when working on my houses. I use it to lay small trim on when painting, for small glue projects, etc. No fuss, no muss, when done you just crumple it up & toss it :)

I have an old pullover type work sweater, made of acrylic. It sorta feels like soft wool to the touch, but is comfy, not itchy. It has super long sleeves, and I wear it when I wallpaper. I just pull down the sleeve, and rub away, not being concerned at damaging it. It smooths everything out, and the paper dries fast. I just use any old glue I have lots of, white, wood or tacky, and spread it thin with a scrap piece of wood. I'm told a small sponge works good too.

I've not ever had to weight down the wallpaper! ?? I use Aileen's white glue thinned with water, just smoothing it on the wall I'm going to paper, lay on the paper, smooth it out with an old credit card, and by the time I'm done smooshing out any bubbles, the paper is dry enough that it holds just fine.

I use waxed paper for all sorts of things, like the others mentioned..but not specifically for wallpapering...

Before I started using wonder under, I used wallpaper paste, but then used a brand new foam roller that you would use for walls in your real house to roll it out. This meant I could apply pressure to really adhere that paper to the surface I was putting the paper on. Then I would let it dry, and roll it again (just in case).

I haven't found anything that sticks to waxed paper yet.

I've started using wallpaper paste
I use the premixed wallpaper paste from the hardwaqre store that's used for RL wallpaper, and I use a small wooden burnisher/ roller that's used for the wallpaper borders to roll out the bubbles.

I always use wallpaper paste as well. I never have to weigh it down. I couldn't mini without my wax paper. I use lots of it - great for clean ups. I also keep a supply of plastic Dollar Store tablecloths. I spread one on my work table, and afterwards just pick it up with all the "crumbs" and stuff and dump it in the garbage.

Lots of great ideas here.

-Susanne

I should try to clean up everytime.. I cover the formal dining table with an old shower curtain and lots of news paper- that's my work station. I do dread cleaning it up every now and then.