Questions,questions

Margaret

I used a white primer on my wood. If you search the forums, there's a lot of great suggestions on what to use...I think I asked the same question too :p Here are a couple discussions I found on the subject, but there's tons more. What house are you going to build??

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...hl=sealing+wood

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...hl=sealing+wood

I sand the pieces first then apply a generous coat of white undercoat/sealer to BOTH sides (I guess this is called primer in the US). Then I sand lightly once dry. This makes a stable smooth surface that takes glue well. Use wood-workers glue for the best grip.

Hi Margaret! I used Kilz on my Harrison because it was just DRINKING up my paint--coat after coat after coat. If you ever get a chance to read @ my dollhouse in my gallery, the house sat and waited to be painted and papered, and in this case also stained and stuccoed for @ 25 years. It was already built, but the interior and exterior walls, floors, and trim were starving to be finished. You will probably only need a regular primer for your modern BH (if any at all) since it's not the artifact that mine was. LOL! Are you papering, painting, or both?

Back when I started kits I built Dura-Craft and DH suggested my using sanding sealer. I used Deft clear sanding sealer. Since I've begun to build Greenleaf/ Corona Concepts kits I no longer seal the entire kit. After I do a dry-fit to see which rooms want to be what, I either seal, stain or prime depending on how the kit wants to look.

Margaret, I don't stain most of my walls in my dollhouses, I either paint or paper or stucco them. So I prime (paint) all walls inside and out with just plain cheap white latex paint. I do not paint the tabs or the slot areas however, as I want them to fit without having any paint on them.

I've tried sealing the wood with primer before fitting together but it caused the wood to warp, so I'm not sure if I'd do that again. I also once tried sealing with a sealant but I didn't realize that oil based sealant and water based paint wouldn't play well together...

I like using Houseworks siding because it generally doesn't need sealing and it covers up the outside of the house, which means it doesn't need to be sealed! (Also siding hides the tabs and slots better than I've ever been able to with wood filler.) I've used Kilz inside in a few of my houses and it does seem to help smooth out the rough texture for easier wallpapering.

Like The Wolfmeister I prime with el cheapest white flat interior latex. I use the Greenleaf siding which I do NOT seal; I prime, then paint it once it's installed. Because it's this and I use waterbased paint the wood curls a bit, and when it dries it flattens right back out.

Ive always just primed with a white flat paint and its worked well for me. I think everyone has their own favorite product or way to seal or prime but basically what you want is for the wood to not soak up all of your paint or wallpaper paste. Priming also hides the dark wood from showing through the wallpaper.

I prime with whatever flat or eggshell latex paint I have on hand, although I do try to stick with the light/pale colors for priming. Our county has a place where you can go to get rid of your hazardous waste stuff like paints, stains, glues, etc. so they don't end up in the landfill - it's free for residents (not businesses - they have to pay) to take their hazardous waste stuff there to have it disposed of. About a year ago I needed to take some old candle making fragrance oils there to have disposed and I saw that they have a storage shed full of assorted paints - residents can go into the shed & take whatever paints they want and think they can use - many of the quarts/gallons of paint are full and the rest are at least half full - mostly leftovers from home improvement jobs or paints that people decided they didn't like afterall. Anyhow, when I realized that I could just have whatever paints I wanted and it was free, all I had to do was sign for it & show my drivers license - I picked out several of the smaller cans for priming & painting my houses.