Estimated build time for Beacon Hill

Anna G

Has any one actually built the Beacon Hill in 40 hours? I assume this is sand, seal and assemble only with no painting and decorating. I am working on my first one and I am thinking I must be pretty slow.

Maybe for an experienced builder 40 hours would be standard. I started my Beacon Hill in early January and finished in April. I must say I worked on it nearly every day. Just enjoy the experience and don't try to break any records. Even taking as much time as I did, I would love to take her apart and rebuild. I learned so much from my mistakes!

I dont know if anyone can build this house in just 40 hours but it would be interesting to see. I consider myself a pretty fast builder since I can devote my entire time to my builds. I dont work outside the home so I can basically work on a build, sun up to sun down. It still took me 20 days to build my BH, almost a month. I worked on it non stop 7 days a week. If I wasnt sleeping, I was constructing.

I suppose you can build it in 40 hours if your an experienced builder, use hot glue and leave it as unfinished raw wood inside and out.

Perhaps just building the house, with no decorating, etc.....it might be done in 40 hours. The Beacon Hill that I built took 2 years....but that included decorating, etc.

I've currently estimated that I've been working on the Mary Kay for over a year now.

If you read the entire post with Greenleaf estimated build times it states

This is the ESTIMATED build time only. This time does NOT include painting, wallpapering or electrifying.

So it is an Estimate only. Some people can finish sooner but the less experianced person it will be closer to the 40 hours limit for the building of this house. Can't wait to see yours :)

LOL, mine is still in the box, I opened it and closed it even faster.

When I see how much time I need to build and decorated I think my BH will take 40 weeks.

But isn't that just the fun, why in a hurry. I love building and working on all my dollhouses. What to do when I'm finished? :)

I just call my BH a work in progress...not counting the 6 month or so break I took, I guess I've been working on mine for about 8 months...but that's mostly in my spare time. ( that includes electrifying and decorating--and all those hours sanding and filling and sanding and painting! ) I have to say that in the last 2 weeks, I've been making lots of "spare time" for minis!

I know it would take me longer too if I am decorating & electrifying it and adding everything else I love to add to houses. The shingles takes long time by itself. That is my least favorite part of building houses. I hate doing the shingles :) Also, I don't think the estimate includes the time I take daydreaming what the finished product is gonna look like.

Of course it all depends on what you do to it. I started my Beacon in April of last year and finished (well for the most part) it in November. I also worked on it almost every day. I still need to add some window treatments to it. I really don't think any house is every done, just like the RL one.

I haven't built the Beacon Hill but I know that it would take me forever!

Aside from working full-time outside the home and having an eight year old... my problem is that half way through I find a nice piece of fabric, or an eye popping paint color and I change my whole design! I like pretty things and I get distracted soooo easily! I just have to learn to hurry and finish what I have and start on a new house sooner so that I can use the different things! Ah... but which house to choose next....?

Maybe 40 years would be more accurate! :)

As they say...an experienced builder, no decorating, just putting the kit together...maybe 40 hours.

I still remember somebody who came on here in October, had bought a Garfield kit, wanted to build it by Christmas for his daughter. I asked, " WHICH Christmas??" :) Is he still around??

We also had on member who did the Pierce for her mom She built it, wallpapered it & electrified it all in a few weeks and gave it to her mom for either Christmas or Mother's day. I was totally floored that she was able to do it cause it was her first dollhouse build ever. :blink:It was beautiful. These are two different houses though for sure. :) I wanted to do a Beacon Hill this year. I am not sure If I'll get the chance to yet but I am hoping :)

Well, "Alley's Mansion" is actually a BH x2 and 80 hours would be a joke. I figured about a year before I ever started, but there is alot of "extra" construction needed for this.

A normal BH would still be a challenge in that time, experienced builder or novice.