The McKinley

I have often thought of getting two McKinleys and putting them back to back somehow. Reversing the assembly on one or something. The little door in the center hallway gives the illusion of more rooms on the other side. Has anyone done this? It would make it 18" deep instead of nine. The floor plan is nice as is but more rooms would make it twice as nice. I would probably just have the one stairway. If reversed the second tower would be on the other side and it would be open on both sides. I'd really like to try it. It just might work.

Since I just ordered the McKinley, this sounds like an interesting idea. I assume you would chuck the idea of hanging this on the wall. I could see this working on a table on a lazy susan so you could turn it around and see all sides. I think it would be really neat!

I love your idea of putting two Mckinley kits together. I think someone else did that , I think I saw it in Nutshell News years ago. I also have seem where the floors were extended out farther than the walls giving more floor space to decorate. I just order a Mckinley from Ernie half off sale. I can't wait to get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

I saw that picture in Nutshell News, too, and I've always wanted to try it. I even have the McKinley kits in the basement, waiting patiently for me to get my act together. Maybe someday...

Usually dollhouses are only one room deep - I love the idea of a house that's two rooms deep, yet can be viewed easily from either side...

I saw that picture in Nutshell News, too, and I've always wanted to try it. I even have the McKinley kits in the basement, waiting patiently for me to get my act together. Maybe someday...

Usually dollhouses are only one room deep - I love the idea of a house that's two rooms deep, yet can be viewed easily from either side...

I have an old dollhouse book from 1978 by Catherine Callicot. She started buillding dollshouses when she had to make everything by hand because all the ready made doors, etc. were not available like they are now. She built many from scratch and has a lot of older houses, some from England. A lot of them are two rooms deep. You can look through doorways to stairs and rooms on the other side and turn the house to see all those rooms. I'd really like to try it with the McKinley beause it's only nine inches deep. This book is probably out of print now. The title is "In praise of Dollhouses". She has a whole room set up she calls Calicott Main Street. I found this book at a doll show. The houses have a lot of hand made furniture and furniture from Strombecker and Tynietoy. I've about worn this book out looking at it so much.

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder if you could bash two together yet still hang it on the wall, just use one kit as a see-through shell to add depth to the rooms, while the wall-hugging kit still had its back walls.
You could, but you'd better mount it to studs, not try to hang it just with molleys on wallboard, because I'm sure it'll be heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

i think it would be cool to build 2 mckinleys (one mirrored with exterior doors removed and stairless) and hang one on one side of the wall and one on the other so it looks like the house goes through the wall.

Jeffrey you have read my mind. But I will be making a "road" between mine and have walkways coming out. I already have one half built, and I even made a "yard" around it, with a lovely walkway with a mail box....the other one will be built backwards to face the other one across the street. They will make a lovely wall, and keep the cats out of the dollhouses as well! It must be spring, they are driving me crazy!

• 3 weeks later...

It really is an interesting book. You should get it. Some of the houses are old from England and Germany but most she built herself. I'd like to find some of the old Strombecker furniture. There is one called the Betsy Ross house that is really nice.