Got another Willow on Ernie's sale

I just got another Willow on Ernie's sale in hopes the windows might be good this time. April fool I guess. This is the third Willow I've had with terrible windows. The ply is separating and falls apart when you try and sand them. They are beyond spackle. The outer frames are the worst and the actual window frames that you put the plastic in cannot be made to look up to my standards. Since I like this house size and style otherwise I've decided to make the house very plain this time. Leave a window unpunched out in the kitchen for more wall space, leave off the chimneys, leave the attic with no windows or center windows with the chimneys omitted and have a very simple Colonial house. The size of the window holes does not make buying upgraded window possible unless you have power tools. I cut all the holes bigger last time with an exacto knife and it was not easy, not to mention risky to the fingers, etc. I've decided to frame the windows inside and out with 3/8 x 1/8 bass wood strips with a cross piece and use plain plastic windows. The style and size of this house is so nice I just don't understand the window parts always being defective. It can't be just the kits I get. I've made every house I can afford and this is the only one with this window problem. I will say the bass wood frames inside and out are going to look great and the house as a plain Colonial is perfect. I'm putting in the Americana door from Ernies. I wish they would bring back the Jefferson. I love that house. Upgraded windows were available for the Jefferson. I just finished the Westville and I have to finish Victoria's farmhouse and then start with the Willow unless I just get to anxious to get started to see how good it will look with new windows. :)

I have the Willow shell put together. I left off the chimneys, left one window closed in the kitchen, made the stair hole smaller and used Housworks stairs, cut two center windows in the attic and it now looks like a larger Jefferson. The floors stained nicely. I may put on the siding but I've only done that without overlap so I'm not sure. That, and shingling are hardest for me. I also put the upstairs doors toward the front so had to cut new slots for the tabs. I'll get two narrow doors from the Handley catalog. Can't decide the era it will be yet. There is a lot of room in the kitchen so it could be modern for a change. Colonial style is my favorite because it can be any time period.

I just completed the Willow (pictures in my gallery). I primed before I sanded, and that seemed to prevent the windows breaking apart too much. I left off a lot of the trim because I wanted a simple clean look.

Sorry to hear about your woes....

Are powertools expensive in US?

Over here you can buy a jigsaw for $20.00 Then you buy a special blade that only cuts on the down ward movement, (about 7.00) that stops the ply from sprintering so much, (and you can tape around the hole for extra insurance if you want) then instead of cutting all the way to a corner (to make a window hole bigger) you tap a hole (just in side the corner with a nail and hammer (cheaper than buying a drill and bit). Cut with jigsaw down the side to the "nail" hole and you should be able to make the opening bigger with out too much work.

Sometimes it not what you spend on powertools, it's the blades or drill bits that make the drifference to what you are building....We have built a real sized house with "cheap" power tools and its still standing....So you do not need dewalt tools to do a good job (over here they are expensive).

Also they proberly make the houses in lots of say 100, so there is a reasonable chance that if one is incorrectly die cut then the rest will be too....

I use a serrated steak knife, it works pretty good. :p

I have some old Betty Crocker steak knives that cut just about anything but an Exacto works best for me on the 1/8 inch plywood. It takes about seven or eight cuts on each side of the window so with 11 windows, my hands give out. I really need to get a small size, easy to handle reciprocating saw. I think Dremel makes one. I have a Dremel sander and that's my only power tool. I did manage to get all the windows enlarged and will be using the 12 light windows from Houseworks. They need to have the acrylic added but are reasonably priced. They are only 3/8" deep so don't look as bad as the other purchased windows which are 1/2". I just put on the one chimney on the living room side. The Pierce and Garfield have upgrade windows available from Timberbrook. I wish more of the houses did.

The Glencroft's window parts split & shattered a lot for me, I did a lot of patient regluing and sanding. I haven't built a Willow yet (it hasn't spoken to me), but I saw a RL house once that looked like the Willow had been bashed with a Primrose.

• 1 month later...

I feel your pain! My Willow windows are in real bad shape. The sheet with the majority of the windows on, looks like it spent the Winter under a porch! It was in the middle of the box, so I don't understand how they have such damage, and all the other sheets are perfect. Also, I'm thinking some of the dies that punched the Willow sheets are a little dull. I have a quite a few parts that are squashed rather than actually cut. The worst piece is the staircase. The nice folks at Greenleaf however, did include a second staircase, that isn't nearly as bad. I will salvage the pieces I can, and make new ones out of the scraps to put it all together.

I feel your pain! My Willow windows are in real bad shape. The sheet with the majority of the windows on, looks like it spent the Winter under a porch! It was in the middle of the box, so I don't understand how they have such damage, and all the other sheets are perfect. Also, I'm thinking some of the dies that punched the Willow sheets are a little dull. I have a quite a few parts that are squashed rather than actually cut. The worst piece is the staircase. The nice folks at Greenleaf however, did include a second staircase, that isn't nearly as bad. I will salvage the pieces I can, and make new ones out of the scraps to put it all together.

I don't know what is the problem with these windows. Three Willows so far and all the windows had to be replaced. Like you said squashed rather than cut. I love the house otherwise and usually leave off all the fancy trim anyway but the windows on this house are just awful. To have so many in this shape is a shame as I've never had any other GL house with this problem. at least I know if I ever get this kit again I'll plan ahead and get new windows. The Hobby Lobby brand don't stick in quite so far as the Houseworks and are less expensive. I usually get a window whenever they have the 40% off sale and that way I'll have a whole stash of windows put aside. :unsure:

My Willow windows were "bad" also. The window pane trim splintered and kept falling apart and the Decorative outside trim I couldn't use at all. Most of them broke apart or layers of wood fell off. I was so disappointed. This was going to be my best house. I electrified it and bought nice accessories for it. Now I hate it. :unsure: