Ceilings

I need an opinion...My Arthur is for a single 48 year old woman (me)with no set design era, so I was thinking to cover the ceilings, to get fine sand paper and spray paint it white so to cover the wiring. I'm thinking it will look like a spray sand painted ceiling. What do you think of my idea?

Ooo, a brilliant idea, Rhonda, but play around with it. A coarser grit sandpaper (80-100) might actually more cosely resemble the textured ceiling you're thinking about. It's definitely an idea I'd like to play with some day!

I use white paint with baby powder mixed in to thicken it quite a bit, and put it on with a stipple brush. It looks like the stucco ceiling in my house. I haven't tried using any shaped things to get other patterns, but I think a small sea sponge would give more texture. Also, it smells lovely! lol

Michelle

Like Holly, I would go with the real coarse sandpaper though! You probably wouldn't see much of the texture with the finer paper, save that for sanding things! I like stucco for ceilings too, but that is me.....it's a bit coarse but effective. Sometimes I even sprinkle some irridescent glitter on it! Yes, I had a real home once that had lovely patterned ceilings and they too had glitter! Looked great at night......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The sandpaper technique works well but to avoid the sandpaper bubbling up or falling apart under water-cleanup glue or paints, you should use the wet&dry or the waterproof sandpaper. This is the black one. If you use solvent-based glue and paint then any type will do.

I use white paint with baby powder mixed in to thicken it quite a bit, and put it on with a stipple brush. It looks like the stucco ceiling in my house. I haven't tried using any shaped things to get other patterns, but I think a small sea sponge would give more texture. Also, it smells lovely! lol

I like this idea-- sounds like a good general purpose technique. Thanks for the tip.

:welcome: