Newbie from Southeastern Mass...

Guest Nathaniel

Guest Nathaniel

Hello, my name is Nathaniel, 23 yrs old, been working with and collecting dollhouses for about 5 years now.

Im new to the forums. I've been collecting and building for about 5 years now. I have a Tennyson which is almost complete, a Worthington Mansion which needs to be completely remodelled, and an unopened Garfield Kit. The Tennyson and Worthington were both bought on ebay and just need to be completely remodeled. (ill have to post pics soon)

I have quite an extensive collection of furniture and furniture kits (from House of miniatures) I probably have enough furniture to furnish all three houses (Tennyson, Garfield, and Worthington) and then some.

I love to electrically wire my houses and I also have quite a large collection of lights for all 3 houses.

The Tennyson has 16 working lights inside and out. It is Burgundy with white trim with dark walnut stained shingles.

The Worthington will have 33 working lights inside and out. (It is currently blue and white but will be grey white white trim and black shudders and doors once its complete) The worthington actually kinda looks like my real house, minus the columns. Id love to bash a kit someday to look like my real house...

I have an unopened Garfield and I am considering bashing it possibly. I have been holding off on starting my Garfield because I have now been kind of inspired to combine a Garfield with a Pierce Kit. Can you imagine the enormous Victorian Mansion that this would create.

I am thinking of attempting to design it on Sims 2 as I have seen others do on this forum (and ive done it in the past myself for fun)...

Do you think this could work? This would be my first kit to be built from scratch. Thus, im a little nervous about such a large undertaking for my first kit....

The Garfield would have 33 working lights inside and out also probably, but if I combined it with a Pierce than I would probably have 49 or 66 working lights throughout.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling.... I just thought id introduce myself and stuff.. I will post pics soon of my houses and furniture, (handbuilt) and not. B)

-Nathaniel

Hi and welcome, love your house and looking out to the photo's of your other house. So when we have a lightning problem we can contact you, LOL, sounds you are a master with it.

Hi and B) from the North Shore!! Your Tennyson is wonderful. I love your stair runner!! Thanks for sharing them!!

In one of the Dollhouses to Dreamhouses books (there are 3 or 4 that were published by Greenleaf a while ago and sometimes come up on ebay) they bash two Pierces together to make a bigger Victorian mansion. I haven't seen a Garfield and a Pierce though. I'm sure it can be done and would love to see it though.

;)

Guest Nathaniel
Hi Nathaniel! Welcome to the forum!

I'm also in SE Mass - Marion, to be exact. If you know of any dollhouse shops in your area, please let us know! :photo:

Do you attend any of the dollhouse shows; Sturbridge, for example?

Im glad to see a few people from Mass in here. Yes, actually, there is a dollhouse shop 5 minutes from my house. I live in New Bedford and in South Dartmouth's Padanaram Village there is a cute little dollhouse shop called The Woodhouse shop and get this, the woman that owns and runs the shop, her last name is actually woodhouse. Crazy huh?

The best dollhouse shop that I have been to in Mass is Valley Dolls an miniatures in I believe Hadley or NorthHampton, MA. They are the largest with the most inventory and rare items.

There is also a cute little place called Divided House of Gifts in Salisbury, MA. The man there builds and sells his own custom-made houses (unlike any you will find anywhere. I dont knwo if these places have websites but I believe you can find them if you do a search online.

Id love to see this book where 2 pierce's were combined. I would like to combine the garfield and pierce because the house would be huge, have TONS of peaks, and would be more varied than if combining two of the same houses. Im still not sure if i want to do this though. If I was already dead set on doing it then I would and I wouldnt really care what anyone said, but at this point I am really nto sure....

Your Tenny looks great! So glad to see you've got a gallery up, you've certainly got a lot to offer to the group here.

Id love to see this book where 2 pierce's were combined. I would like to combine the garfield and pierce because the house would be huge, have TONS of peaks, and would be more varied than if combining two of the same houses. Im still not sure if i want to do this though. If I was already dead set on doing it then I would and I wouldnt really care what anyone said, but at this point I am really nto sure....

I like your thinking...lots of peaks and varied layout. Oh, and HUGE! Why are you unsure now? As you can see, there are lots of people here who'd just love to see this come together. I'm quite sure I've never seen the phrase "it can't be done" posted anywhere in these forums, but I've certainly seen "if you can dream it, you can do it" many times.

There's always someone around to give you advice, answer questions, bounce ideas off of, and just plain encouragement for when you need it. A Gar-Pierce (Piercefield?).. GO FOR IT!!!!

Guest Nathaniel

Jeni,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Im becoming very inspired to do this bash. Also, you know what? I think I will call it the Piercefield!!! I think that would be great!!!

I definitely love to electrically wire my houses. I also love to lay wood floors and tiles piece by piece, tile by tile, or wood strip by wood strip. I have always felt that any project that is very time consuming (such as laying things piece by piece) almost always has the best pay off and is the most rewarding.

I spend alot of time planning my houses before I do anything to them. The Piercefield would require a lot of planning, especially considering that over the last few months I have been collecting and planning for the building of the Garfield, and not until recently have I been hesitating to start it or to embark on a kit bashing that would result in the "Piercefield". I m also considering the lack of space that I have currently, the amount of money this project will cost that i shouldnt be spending, and the fact that i will now have FOUR unfinished doll houses to work on, this is in addition to dozens and dozens of House of Miniatures furniture Kits to build. I am only 23 and i swear I am all set to retire, i would have PLENTY to keep me busy, thats for sure.... lol Maybe I should look into an early early retirement...

Between d.houses and my other hobbies, videogames, model car collecting, and anything car and house related, I would just LOVE to be a full time hobbyist....

:photo:

-Nathaniel

Ahh yes, SPACE needs to be a huge consideration for a project such as this. Since you're in the planning phase, you might want to consider building so that it comes apart in pieces (in case you ever need to move it). Most of us try not to think about the amount of money we spend, keeps us from that OMG moment. :photo:

Hey, my son (17) is into video games & model cars. I'm sure he'd love to see pics sometime.

Guest Nathaniel

Oh yeah? Ill have to find some pics of my model cars to show him. I collect 1/18 scale mostly. The cost anywhere from 20 bux to 120 bux, and some of them that I have are worth HUNDREDS due to how rare they are. i have been collecting them for about 17 years and I have about 160 of them, they are ALL over my house, living room, office, hobby room, etc... I have to make a point to post pics of my real house sometime, as it would make a really pretty dollhouse, lol.

I'm having sooo much fun posting on these forms!

:photo:

-Nathaniel

Im glad to see a few people from Mass in here. Yes, actually, there is a dollhouse shop 5 minutes from my house. I live in New Bedford and in South Dartmouth's Padanaram Village there is a cute little dollhouse shop called The Woodhouse shop and get this, the woman that owns and runs the shop, her last name is actually woodhouse. Crazy huh?

The best dollhouse shop that I have been to in Mass is Valley Dolls an miniatures in I believe Hadley or NorthHampton, MA. They are the largest with the most inventory and rare items.

There is also a cute little place called Divided House of Gifts in Salisbury, MA. The man there builds and sells his own custom-made houses (unlike any you will find anywhere. I dont knwo if these places have websites but I believe you can find them if you do a search online.

I had forgotten about The Woodhouse! I went there a couple years ago. I thought she said that she was planning to close, or to sell the business. She gave me a discount on my purchase simply because she was so glad to see someone buying dollhouse stuff!

Isn't North Hampton about a thousand miles from here?! Is it closer than Earth and Tree Minis in Amherst NH? I've never been to Earth and Tree but I've heard lots of good things about them. Here's their website: http://www.earthandtree.com/

Also, there's another store I've never been to - in Braintree: Dollhouse Treasures. Here a link to them: http://www.dollhousetreasures.net/

But, IMHO, the best fun of all is going to a dollhouse show! The Sturbridge show dates for this year are Sat, May 31 and Sun, June 1; Sunday is the show day and Sat is for classes (I think). Here's a link to it: http://www.mollycromwell.com/shows.htm.

Oh, and there's one in CT this weekend. I had planned to be in Florida but instead some cousins are coming to visit. Anyway, here's the info: http://www.miniaturesandmore.com/shop/page190.html

Enjoy!

Welcome to our "little" family, Nathaniel. Corwin is bashing a Garfield, but he's adding on, not another kit. I think someone else had posted a threat to bash a Garfield with a Pierce, but don't know what, if anything, came of it. I plan to bash two Fairfields together, once I get a little more familiar with the 1:24 scale.