Assembling questions

Lyn

Well as you all know I snapped the center partion and trying to figure it out. While I wait a brainstorm on the center partion. I decided to go ahead and place the room partion and lay the 2 floor on top where they line up at (sandwhich effect)well the 1 wall that sets on the first floor the slots are off not alot but enough to make my wall look crooked and it wont line up with the 2 floor slots. Is this common to have slots off or am I doing something wrong?? I also am haveing the same problem getting the partion that goes behind that into the parlor.If pictures are needed let me know. Iam waiting to get the KIDS to bed then I will try to tape it up to show you all.

Lyn

Thanks for all your help.

If it's visibly crooked, my money is on a piece being upside-down or backwards. I speak as someone who has assembled two houses inside-out, one by accident and one on purpose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never knew that was possible :huh: Iam sure I have the right piece it fits into the slot that is suppose to be hooked on to the door going into the dining room. Iam pretty sure I ahve the right piece. The pictue is in my gallery on the wall Iam talking about the kitchen picture.

Lyn :)

Lyn Would just sanding the slots and enlarging them a little fix the problem? I remember having to sand slots and tabs to make them fit properly on portions. An emory board works well for this. I'll also look thru my construction pixs and see if I can job my memory on this.

Peggi

Hey Lyn,

I just ran back to check the partitions on the Lily (mine are scattered out on the table about like yours are) There are two partitions that look similar except one is larger than the other one. The larger one (partition 2) is the one that goes in the kitchen. The slightly smaller one (partition 4) is the bathroom wall. The larger one fits straight in the tabs for the kitchen, but the smaller one misses by just a wee bit and is not quite as tall. From the picture, it looks like you have the larger partition in the kitchen so it's probably the right piece. I tried it both upside down and right side up and it works both ways so it's not upside down. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, so it may be that the slots are just off a bit. I've had to trim the tabs and enlarge the slots to fit both staircases.

Deb

Now I got the swing of chopping tabs to line things up the right way MY next 2 questions I have are 1) HOW to get the center partion to STAY in PLACE while it glues?? I have pictures in my gallery so you can get a clear picture and hopefully some ideas.Also Iam haveing a HECK of a time with the railing I just DONT understand the directions clear.

Sorry to be a pain in the NECK too :ph34r:

Lyn

PS-for some reason I cant load pictures in my gallery NOW :) will try later :p

Uh-oh, time for some *magic* words  :lol:  :o

In addition to LOTS of masking tape & glue, any old textbooks you happen to have lying around?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So in other words I will be haveing all the Ferral cats in my yard :D after alot of **MAGIC WORDS** Yes I have some heavy books laying around here just have to dig them out :)

Thanks everyone!!

Lyn

full gallons of paint work also as well as DH abandon weights!

you are not being a pain in the neck!

this forum is here for just this sort of questions!

and w got lots of helpful peoples eagerly awaiting such questions!

ask away!

nutti :lol:

• 2 months later...

One thing I'd keep in mind too, some of the pieces SEEM to fit better upside down and backward, UNTIL you try to fit the next piece. The side of the sheet with the number embossed on it is the good side, that side should always be visible. Putting a pencil tick or check mark on the good side of the pieces prior to removing them from the sheet will ensure you get them the right way round. I had to modify a lot of pieces of the foundation, even turned a butt joint into a mitre joint, thought there's no way this is right, then the first floor sheets sat down perfectly and the joint between the 2 sheets tight as a drum.

• 2 months later...

well Here I am back to work on my Lily.

a couple of questions

when doing the windows is the middle bar needed to complete the windows?

I would like to cut them out. and in the inside this peice shows?

I guess at this point I am ready to add the porch....

actually its only thanks to Peggi and Deb I have gotten this far. your photos have been a huge help.

I love to read and I can remember what I read but directions without some photos....Weeeeellll than I gots problems.

so today I will finish texturing the outside so I can add the porch....you really do this step before the roof?

also my kitchen stair partition sticks out about 1/8th of an inch...anyone else have this problem?

how do solve it? if nothing else I guess I could get a new blad on the exacto and start hacking....this is where any knowledge of power tools could come in handy...if I also overcame my deep seeded fear of them.

ok I had another question but I forgot what it was....Ill ask later if I dont figure it out on my own.

thanks!

when doing the windows is the middle bar needed to complete the windows?

I would like to cut them out. and in the inside this peice shows?

The piece doesn't show, the way these windows go in, without the middle bar you would be glueing the bottom of the top window to the top of the bottom window. I'm not sure but I believe the bar helps give it a more dimensional look. (remember this was my first house and I put the windows in before anything else--foolish me)

so today I will finish texturing the outside so I can add the porch....you really do this step before the roof?

Are you talking about the mansard roof? If so, I did and I'm glad mainly because if I hadn't I might have trashed the whole house (I know everyone is tired of me complaining about that roof--but honestly it gave me nightmares) But in actuality, there is really no reason you can't begin on the mansard roof before the porch, the only thing it helps do is give practice on the roof edges (can't remember what they called them)

But do put in your doors and windows before the porch, that space is mighty small to work in. Of course you're do great work with tiny spaces, so it may not be a problem for you.

also my kitchen stair partition sticks out about 1/8th of an inch...anyone else have this problem?

I went and looked at your pictures, your stairs look fine, there is another piece of trim that is shaped strange that covers the side of the stairs. I can't place my hands on my schematics at the moment, but here's a pix, maybe it will show you what I'm talking about. post-70-1148766893_thumb.jpg

Hope I've helped instead of hindered.

Peggi

hey Peggi

in the kitchen I have the peice you are talkin about...it sticks out from my staircase about 1/8 of inch.

new question

the latice goes behind the porch Peices? the base

ready to start that part next. I love this kit but no photos in the directions is very painful to me.

plzz keep watching this thread...I feel I may be back!

hey Peggi

in the kitchen I have the peice you are talkin about...it sticks out from my staircase about 1/8 of inch.

Oops, sorry Nutti, your idea about trimming the piece may work. Mine fit fairly good.

new question

the latice goes behind the porch Peices? the base

ready to start that part next. I love this kit but no photos in the directions is very painful to me.

plzz keep watching this thread...I feel I may be back!

Yep, you're right on track.

I'll watch for you, but if you need to feel free to pm me. It feels good to be able to help for once and not be the one asking how. I may even have a few pictures of things that didn't get posted in the blog.

Hey Nutti,

Just in case Peggi didn't find some, here's some pics of the lattice work of the foundation going together. The two lattice pieces sandwich together behind the foundation........each piece goes a different direction so you get the criss cross.

Here's a pic of the back side of the lattice work on the porch:

post-329-1148794466_thumb.jpg

And here's a couple of the ones on the main foundation:

post-329-1148794564_thumb.jpg post-329-1148794596_thumb.jpg

And from the front.

post-329-1148794623_thumb.jpg

I hope that helps.

I *love* the way your Lily is looking! That yellow is just beautiful!! You rock!

Deb

AAAAAACCCKKKK

I got up this morning and went to play with my house and I dont like it.

the stucco which I love seems to clash with the Lattice base.

and the yellow...which is more like a cream seems to clash with the black.

choices have to be made at this point. I need to repaint it or keep it and now is the time to put in the windows and Im not sure which colors to use on them....I may just stain them I have all this time to work on house and Im just at a loss....of course this happens to me all the time..I hate decorating!!!

post-9-1148839235_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of painting it a light aqua color.

all opinions wanted....THANKS A HEEP!

the stucco which I love seems to clash with the Lattice base.
Why note either paint the lattice dark to match the other trim, or cover it with paperclay "stonework"? The lattice base that looks so grand on a vieux carre maison doesn't really work for a Tuscan villa or a Provencal farmhouse.

time to put in the windows and Im not sure which colors to use on them

You could use the color you're using for the rest of the trim, or you could use stain & "age" the trim.

If you go with the light aqua it'd be pretty, and then you could keep the white lattice and go with white or cream for the other trims.

Why note either paint the lattice dark to match the other trim, or cover it with paperclay "stonework"? The lattice base that looks so grand on a vieux carre maison doesn't really work for a Tuscan villa or a Provencal farmhouse.

well I had thought about using paperclay on the base but I lack essential skills in the random rock effect and Im not sure I would like a stone base anymore than I like the lattice.

the only color close to aqua I have is calypso blue. the roof of house and porches are going to be textured black. maybe the problem is the black washes out the cream....which I do like on the house.

but still have no ideas on the windows.....ooohhhh why cant I have the choice making gene?

hmmmmm

I think I will go with stained window trims.....hmmmm lemme go try sometyhing

Holly you always seem to get me back on track...btw dont think I see a tuscan villa anymore

I have noooo idea where all this is leading so it will be a suprise for all :p myself included

TTFN

Like Melissa, you could use a terra cotta color. I think right now the stark white with the black then with the cream yellow is causing to much contrast. Maybe if you use a brown stain that kinda gives you a medium between the black and the cream. (I hope this makes sense)

My Lily has a light yellow, but it worked well with the terra cotta and brown stains and white was used on the smaller trim to help blend it all.