Tools and tips???

Bitsy

Thanks Anna, Emily, Deb and Tracy! Anna, yes the brickwork takes some time, but I like doing bricks for some odd reason ...

Tracy, no I won't be extending the basement on this one. I thought about it, but decided that since it's for a kid, I wouldn't do that.

Paper clay bricks is one thing I hate to make a lot of because of the painting of them all. You did awesome with yours.

This from the person whose Glencroft brickwork awed both DH & me? Ha! Seriously both the making & painting bricks in paperclay leaves me in awe :)

Thanks Tracy! Right now I'm trying to get those bays to be obedient and go in nice like. They are not cooperating, and I'm about to take the hammer to places other than the tabs ...

Oh, forgot, no Anna doesn't know she's getting it.

You may have to shave some wood off of the bays Linda because the clay may have made the wall too thick. I have done that in the past too. If it's not that, then forget what I just said. Ohhh take pictures of the look on her face when she gets the house!!!

We wanna see her smile too!

:)

Yep, I figured that part out Tracy. The other problem was that the tabs for the first and second floors weren't lining up properly and kept ripping the window seat out. I finally shaved the tabs off the second floor.

Now I'm playing an old Lynyrd Skynyrd CD (Street Survivors) --loudly I might add -- to help force it into submission. Don't know if it's working on the house, but it's distracted me from taking the hammer to more than the tabs ... But I'll tell you, if it don't behave soon, I'm gonna break out the really heavy metal stuff and make it really miserable!

Well, the Lynyrd Skynyrd worked for one bay, but the other bay required something different ...

A little Molly Hatchett maybe? :)

I like your style Linda. You rock!

Deb (also a die hard rock-n-roller)

A little Molly Hatchett maybe?  :) 

I like your style Linda.  You rock! 

Deb (also a die hard rock-n-roller)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH! I wish I had a Molly Hatchet CD! I don't have one.... No, I was looking for the other Lynyrd Skynrd CD, can't remember the name of it but it's orange and it has Simple Man on it, but I couldn't find it so I played Staind instead for the second bay ...

Now I'm gonna be thinking about Molly Hatchet CDs. Hey, wonder if Santa will be me that, along with a George Hatcher Band CD ...

QUOTE(LPCullen @ Dec 23 2005, 02:47 PM)

Well, the Lynyrd Skynyrd worked for one bay, but the other bay required something different ...

A little Molly Hatchett maybe?

Gotta love those wild-eyed Southern boys! Johnny & Donnie Van Zant used to come in our bookstore in Jacksonville, but whenever what's his obnoxiousness from Molly Hatchett showed up I tried very hard to find ANYTHING else to do not to have to wait on him. What a jerk! But my boys loved it all & it all got played at our house.

DH made me a shortened worktable base with a shelf & when I slap a piece of 1/2" plywood on top I have a wonderful work surface for building a house that can be landscaped for a yard later. I also have a rather large steel office desk with a Formica-type top I store paints & paper & some craft supplies in & I build furniture & accessories & put kits together there as well as one of the sites I use for decorating the house under construction; I also use the top of my big rolling toolbox if I have several assemblies going.

I just got a crafttool caddy from Hobby Lobby to move into the first of the year; I've slowly outgrown one of those desktool organizers, although I'll clean out the dried wallpaper paste and use it for backup (you don't want to know about the wallpaper paste :lol: :) ). I keep paintbrushes, reverse tweezers, tubes of adhesives, scissors, a straight edge, etc, there. (I'm still not too sure where I'm going to store DH's Testor's carousel for his paints, etc, since I sort of moved into that space when he toted them off downstairs to work with his N-scale train stuff)

I use my kitchen Island :lol: It's really big and it has cabinets underneath to store my paint and all that fun stuff. I am cleaning it off today and hubby says it needs to stay that way till we move :lol: Okay, most of you know I clean this thing off maybe 5 times a year. He wants to put this place on the market so I will have to work in the garage (Glad it got a heater :D )

I say just start your house in an area that you don't have to clean off until you are finished building. It is nothing worse than having to move your project midway through it, then you loose parts or have to spend an hour setting your workspace up again :)

Have fun and get ready for the clutter :D

if you are in need of a table to work from Wal-mart carries folding tables

when I got into dollhouses I bought the biggest one they had.

turns out I needed a smaller table for my work area...so I went back and bought a smaller one. its about 4 ft long and folds up when not in use(mine is never folded)

under this I have a rolling drawer set from walmart for tools and whatever I might need. I keep my wallpaper in a wrapping paper storage container and my scrap wood goes into a trashcan.(kept just for this purpose.)

I now have a fancy smancy paint caddy for all my acrylic paints. I used to keep them in a rubbermaid shoebox container. all of my paintbrushes are in the bottom of a pepsi bottle. I use old pop bottle with its top cut off for rinsing my brushes.

I also keep a large trash container under my table.

let us know what else we can help with!

nutti :)

Hi Pbuilder,

I think it just depends on a lot of variables. How big your work space is, what kind of things you'll be working on etc. I mainly work in the living room in front of the television. It's definitely Not the place to be building a house of any size but it's a great place to sculpt dolls and work on small accessories in the evenings. Next to the sofa I replaced a standard end table with a set of plastic drawers from Walmart (or the like) to hold my polymer clay, my larger tools (metal sheers, scissors, sewing thread and needles, glue, etc) and a small set of drawers on top to hold my sculpting tools. Small houses can be worked on on the coffee table/storage-bin/work desk. It sounds messy but actually works very well for me - the coffee table is a major piece for me because it looks good but opens up to form a desk top and has quite a bit of storage inside.

I'm working on making a larger work area in my office where I can set to work on some bigger construction projects. I'm also working on making myself some kits that can be brought out as needed and then put away like my wigging kit - glue, hair, scissors, toothpicks and combing tools all kept together in a ladies overnight make up case (I think that's what it's called). I have glue other places but when I want to do some wigging I don't want to have to be searching for what I need, so I'd rather duplicate some items (like glues and toothpick holders etc) to keep them handy and together.

-David

I have a tacklebox/ toolbox set up just for doll sculpting that holds the clay & tools.

I also use the plastic sets of craft storage units to hold different things; one is devoted to doll parts (porcelain heads, forearms, loser legs, "hair", etc) & another is beads & another is itsy bits of hardware (brads, hinges, etc). I have a huge rolling toolbox for clamps, small power tools, gluing jig, self-healing cutting mat, etc, and a large toolbox with drawers for hobby saws, hammers, awls, craft & utility knives, EZcutter, etc. I also have an old bookcase that holds furniture kits & a few finished items & stacks of shoeboxes of "raw materials" labelled "wood parts" (craft sticks, woodsies, spindles, wooden shapes for bottles & plates, etc), "plastic" (includes filigree fans & cocktail forks, single-serving containers such as butter, jelly, syrup & coffee lightener come in), etc. Fabric scraps live in a big Rubbermaid box & two copy paper cartons. I have a box of buttons & a sewing supplies box that was a wooden gift fruit box 60+ years ago, plus the storage shelf of my workbench base & a couple of large boxes holding stuff I've accumulated since the last time I straightened & cleaned my workroom (before the Haunted House).

I did NOT acquire all this "stuff" overnight, mind you; I've been mini-ing for over a dozen years, now.

DH got me one of those wonderful big folding tables from Wally World and I used it on last year's trip to begin sculpting polyclay dolls & on this year's trip to build on the Glencroft.

Now I'm gonna be thinking about Molly Hatchet CDs. Hey, wonder if Santa will be me that, along with a George Hatcher Band CD ...

Now there's a Christmas list for sure! You really need a Molly Hatchet cd. Just think how those bays would whip right into shape if you play "Flirting with Disaster" for them. :)

Deb