Tools and tips???

Bitsy

Whatever or whereever your workspace is, make sure you have good light. Right now, I'm spread out over 3 different size tables, I use an old makeup case, a small 3 drawer plastic thingy from the dollar store for small items, 2 craft apron type things for sand paper, rulers scissors etc. But a good light is very important.

Peggi

It depends on what you need to do. If you are building a dollhouse from scratch not from a kit you will probably need a tablesaw to cut large pieces of plywood for the walls. I would then use a scrollsaw or a portable jigsaw to cut out window and door openings

For trimming out a dollhouse as in putting molding around window and doorframes putting in crown molding and making miniature furniture full size tools are way too coarse. For molding work a handheld x-acto razor saw is perfect for doing finish carpentry For furniture building a scrollsaw would be invaluable as it will cut curves as well.

I have a full size table saw used for real "THis Old House" projects and cutting large parts for miniatures. I have a full sixe compound mitre saw great for full size molding and cutting large pieces of bracing for miniatures. A scrollsaw for all kinds of crafty projects including fretwork. It would do well for cutting out windows and doors as well as cut gingerbread trim for houses

For mini work I use my long discoontinued Dremel 580 Table saw It does everything the bg one does on a smaller scale. I could build an entire miniature village with this saw and a scrollsaw as my primary power tools.

I also use a Dremel rotary tool or 3 for drilling holes sanding edges trimming tongues that dont quite fit etc. I have an old Dremel single speed permanently set up on a Drill Press stand with the seperate speed control . I use it as an overarm router and drillpress. A few other members have tried the same setup and made moldings with it.

X-Acto makes a mitre box and razor saw set that is ideal for cutting mini moldings without shredding them.

Ed

Ed has given you some excellent advice.

I'll just add that I recently built my first 1/12 scale house (from a kit) and the only saw I used was the X-Acto saw and mitre box. If you're building from a kit (and don't plan to 'bash" (or make significant modifications), a box cutter and the X-Acto saw will likely provide everything you need.

I have the metal mitrebox, I use a piece of scrap wood in the bottom. For softer woods I use the Exacto saw, but I have a wonderful Japanese-style pullsaw that Stanley makes that I use with the mitrebox, that blade will slice right through hardwood :D I've been using it today to make the bar for my Glencroft pub.

I use the scrollsaw for cutting trims & for smaller furniture elements (great for ladderback chair slats), always use a pushstick!

If your going to use power saws also wear a dust mask & shop safety glasses, which are cheap to replace when they get scratched, unlike eyeballs ;)

Assembling kits and embellishing them wioth trim You are so right

I prefer an x-acto #2 with the long pointy blade looks like a big #11 blade for cutting out the little bits on window openings etc. My #5 handle usually has a razor saw blade in it perfect for cutting framing for my miniatures and for molding on the big ones

For glueing up corners, x-acto blue clamps or small quick grip clamps work great when using a Duplo Block as a squaring block inside of the walls. I have a set of 4 picture frame clamps that would work great on gluing walls together too

One can never have enough clamps in a multitude of sizes

Ed

Hi There! I just wanted you all to know I have merged some of the other tools & tips regarding mitering corners here because this seems to be a hot topic that has a lot of interest for us all.

I emailed Cat so that she could add this link under tips and how to's

Thanks for the tips. I have not been able to start because I don't have any where to set up at the moment but what you have told me has given me an idea of what I need and what would be a good place to make space. Should I be concerned with ventilation?;) That information would also help in making space. How do you use a rotary tool as a router? Do you need a jijsaw to complete a DH?

Pam

Should I be concerned with ventilation?
If you're planning to generate a lot of dust (using a rotary or other power tool, for example)) or aerosol sprays (paints, sealers, adhesives) or other substances not wonderful for your lungs; the disposable workshop dust masks are also a good idea ;)

How do you use a rotary tool as a router?

Dremel makes a router attachment to make an overhead router, and Sears has a router table you can attach the rotary tool to. You can get router bits a whole lot less expensively at www.widgetsupply.com than Dremel, and I found a box of assorted mini router bits at Harbor Freight at a most reasonable price.

Do you need a jijsaw to complete a DH?

Not unless you're making one from scratch & need to cut doors & windows. Even then I'd use a keyhole saw & do it by hand. Occasionally making new trim for a curved door or window I'll use the scroll saw, and the bandsaw for cutting turnings to length or when bashing for extra walls, floor, whatever. But starting out a hobby saw & metal miterbox (with a scrap of plywood in the bottom to protect the little saw teeth) or EZ Cutter & a good heavy-duty craft or utility knife with LOTS of new, sharp blades oughta take care of most cutting chores in kit-building.

How high is the basement ceiling? It almost looks like it would work, if the other rooms' ceilings are high. It definitely looks like something a little girl will fall in love with immediately. The brickwork is so fine! Great job!

How high is the basement ceiling?  It definitely looks like something a little girl will fall in love with immediately.  The brickwork is so fine!  Great job!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have a ruler here, but I believe it's 6 inches (we modified that on the one that I own). Thank you for the compliments on the brick work, and for saying it's something a little girl will fall in love with! You are correct! The last time Anna saw it, she was stunned, not to mention her father. He had come earlier and saw the roof on, but not the bulk of the wallpapering done. He has been extremely pleased with it, and Anna is delighted thus far.

I use non-Dremel bits in my Dremel, I'll have to break out the B&D RTX to see if it'll take Dremel bits. Seriously, I cannot imagine any difference, the bits go into the mandrels, and your rotary tool has a collar for the mandrel to fit into, however you fit it on or take it off.

• 1 year later...
Thanks. Does anyone know anything about the Dremel cordless kit? What will it allow me to do? If I get that, will that cover several needs at once?

...I didn't even know what a Dremel was, but someone suggested it, so I did a search and it looks good.

Thank you all SO much,

Take a look at www.dremel.com It is an excellent website and will describe all the tools, attachments, and bits and what they do. Projects are shown and there is a great users forum. I think it will answer all your questions.

I am a long time fan of the Dremel tools and would not be without them. They make quick work of what is often tedious jobs and they are not dangerous if you keep your mind on what you are doing.

Dave

I love my little Stylus for the close work I'm presently doing to the CC kit furniture, but my corded Dremels are onderful both with & without the flexshaft; I keep one hanging near the drillpress & I have another to pop into the router table or, when we finally make it a horizontal mount, use for micro-turning (like my thread spools) and table saw.

• 5 years later...
...Does anyone have an amazing tip or tool for cutting out new windows and doors when kit bashing?
The Dremel Trio. I cut two double doorways into Mildred's end wall for a conservatory addition and for the terrace above and it cut through the plywood like a warm knife through butter.