Doin' the Brookwood Happy Dance!!

uppitycats

I'm so envious of everyone who got the Brookwood!

I want one so bad, but I'm trying really hard to resist the temptation. :blink:

I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through all of you!

Mine came today too! This was my first "new" kit and whoever talked about that new wood smell was rignt - it smells wonderful! I can't wait to get started, I am pretty sure I want to do the two story front in stones, like flagstones.

That window in front is so neat! I was looking at the pics again tonight..and I am thinking, "y'know, this would make a lovely Unitarian Universalist Meeting House!" I could "lead" those windows....have little benches there on the ground floor....meeting rooms, a minister's study.... and yes, I really do think I'm leaving it as "natural" as possible. Hadn't thought about the different stains of wood, but that might be pretty...

Anyway... lots of ideas rolling around in my head....

My husband ordered the Brookwood for my yesterday (in a fit of spontaneity never seen from him before!) so I've only had 24 hours to think about what I want to do with it. I want to make it very contemporary with clean lines, but with a hint of Oriental flavor. I have a Japanese daughter-in-law who sends me Japanese minis and I want to use them in my house.

Deb - I do love your Art Deco idea and can't wait to see pics!

I see my Brookwood as having an Oriental flavour - trouble is, I've got no Oriental furniture ..... but when was that a 'problem'! :blink:

Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Jackie

I don't have any oriental furniture either, I have lots of Japanese "food" and kitchen stuff, some grass mats, tiny Japanese watercolors. I think the lines of the Brookwood would set off any oriental items nicely.

Hope your house arrives soon!

I like the idea of an Asian inspired decor scheme for the Brookwood (and I'd love to have this house... perhaps soon!). You could try to make paper lanterns with some Japanese craft paper and some wood, so maybe use those little cocktail umbrellas as decor. As for the furniture, if you're handy with craft knives and such, the modern Asian look is pretty clean lined, so maybe you could make some things and paint them with glossy, deep colors?

I can't wait til all of you lucky people start decorating these houses!

I see my Brookwood as having an Oriental flavour - trouble is, I've got no Oriental furniture ..... but when was that a 'problem'! :)

It's never a problem! Well, it's a bit of a problem finding oriental minis to buy, but I've gotten lucky on eBay a time or two. (I recently found this seller on ebay and she's absolutely *fabulous*! Not only is her inventory great, but she's a really nice person to work with) Mainly, I make my own asian minis. If you check the Coventry team building blog, you can find some stuff that I did with oriental minis there for my samurai's house, and in my personal blog, there are some tutorials for making kimonos on stands, kimono chests and that kind of thing. Oh, and bamboo placemats make great tatami flooring. I'm not sure which blog it's in, but there's also a tut for making sliding rice paper doors. And a futon I think.

Deb

I don't recall the futon being in a tutorial. Long ago one of the mini magazines had a DIY article to make a futon, and I have made it a couple of times. I disliked the writer's method of attaching the side pieces so it would open & close, and that's when I discovered itty bitty metric nuts, bolts & washers work far better for the purpose.