My Newburg

Deanna

Good afternoon from 100 degree Georgia!

Hope everyone is staying cool!

I have a question about a product. I have a Newburg kit waiting on me. At looking at the pictures, I see the foundation in front of the house has a stucco look to it. Can anybody tell me how I can get this look on mine? I have never done that before. I have a Hobby Lobby close to me so if somebody knows of a product name that I could pick up there?

I have been brainstorming about my new house. It will be a week or 2 before I start on it because I am trying to finish up my Magnolia first. I am thinking my Newburg is going to be a Christmas house. It sort of reminds me of the houses on the street of the movie 'It's A Wonderful Life'.

Thanks for any info ya'll can give me!

Deanna Cronan

Covington, Georgia

For a stucco look I use dry wall compound from the hardware store. I brush it on and either texture by stippling with the brush or swirling with a brush. I use the cheap small hard bristle brushes. Darrell calls them acid brushes they are cheep with a metal handle and come several in a pack.

Melissa

We did our Newburg alittle different. We used Latex brink on the foundation and steps and sand in the paint for the body. We also left off most of the trim that came with the kit. Just didn't care for the squares, ect. We did alot of bashing on this house. My DH built walls in one of the second floor rooms to cover up some of the odd boxes ect coming into the room walls that are formed by the roof angles. It created a narrow space (about 5 inches wide)going up to the window but I plan to put a desk under the window. It made the room a bit smaller but still room to put a double bed and chest of drawers in. I am thinking of putting shutters with trim to make the new walls look like closets. I just didn't like the boxes on the top and bottom of the walls. Still alot of work to do on this house, but it is getting there.

• 3 weeks later...

Some versions of this house come with magic stone for the foundation. The stencil is great but as others have said using spackle (or spray on stone finish) is the easier way to make the stone. The powder that comes with magic stone has a short work time, If you decide to use it put it on the house while the piece is flat before assembly. I do like the magic stone powder for making paths and edging. A drop or two for water based stain will color it.

I am thinking the house is a bit ornate for stucco? Actually, last time I built it I only used maybe 1/2 of the trim included. So far it is my favorite and living in Oregon I come across lots of these kits. I love the eve trim and less (or simpler) trim in other areas made it stand out as feature.

This house also loks wonderful with the exterior stained using several different woods tones and then weathered.

the TP method is very easy peasy

take your 2 ply tissue/toliet paper

and tear it into peices....than seperate the ply's

paint your surface with paint or mod podge.....I use paint now...I did use modpodge but paint works out better IMHO

than place the TP on the painted surface and lightly paint over it. lightly.....if you get heavey handed with it...it will moosh....if this happens you can leave it...you can make it less noticable by spreading out the moosh or scrape it off and start over.

TIP...the jaged edges of the TP will blend better than the straight cut edges.

after you do a few peices you will get the hang of it very quickly.

I use the cheepo stuff we buy for the household use toliet paper that is....if using kleenex do not use the moisturizer kind.

I have also used the sand in the paint and although it gives a different look it is still the stucco look.

what is good about both methods is that you can use any color you need to get rid of to do it and than when it dries paint over it.

I hope this helps some.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...ndex.php?cat=70

if you look at my blog photos I have shown how I do the TP method.

Happy building

nutti :joystick:

If you decide to use spackling or joint compound, you can spread it with the flat edge of a credit card and then twiddle a stucco texture into the wet spackle with one of the corners of the credit card (I don't advise using a current credit card, BTW).