Livingroom Drapes

wenlaine

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Wendy very very much for reposting the tutorial. Now I have something to work with to make curtain/drapes. I've also made sure I printed out the instructions this time I will make sure they go in my notebook of hints and diy for dh. I may not get to start on them until later in the week. (I'm not near as optimistic as Teresa about my abilities) :)

I can only hope mine turn out 1/4 as good as yours.

Peggi

Thank you so much for posting that tutorial. I have not yet made drapes for my arthur, and I have some fabric that will go with the wallpaper great.

William, how did you make your cornices? I was thinking of making carved cornices from stripping ...but that is too far ahead for me yet.

The story of your Jefferson is so personal, and touching. It's the little things in life that bring us joy. :)

Lisa, I made cornices for my Cambridge parlor from kit scrapwood, I cut one 1/4" wide strip into the widths of the window frames and glued 1/4" square to each end.

I cut 1/8" diameter dowels the length of the inner dimension of each cornice and hung my drape pairs from them and glued the dowels into the cornices. I then VERY carefully painted the cornices.

I didn't take all the pictures back then (second house; I have NO pictures of the San Franciscan I built) that I do now, so have none to show the process :)

Hi Wendy! My back is doing somewhat better. Still can't sleep through the whole night which is making me very edgy! :lol:

I have the bed for the bedroom almost complete and I'm hoping to get the wallpaper up and the curtains/valance made today. Depending on how that goes, I'm also hoping to get the bathroom done! :) I got the cutest little bathroom set from eBay and am anxious to give them their permanent home! I also found a floor tile in the color I want so that should look pretty good in there too!

At this moment I think I have more brains (although somewhat debateable) than brawn!! :lol: Wish me luck!! ;)

Hi Wendy! It turned out great! I've posted a picture in my photoalbum below . . . new pictures start on page 10. Of course, I didn't get everything done today that I had planned to . . . my back gave out on me, but I did manage to get some things done! :blink:

It was so easy and fun! :p For the small window that's pictured I didn't have to change the dimensions. For the bigger window behind the bed, I'll have to extend it, probably in the middle, to make it longer. I didn't completely read the directions so of course I glued the front onto the cardboard, but luckily it didn't mess up to bad. I'll have to remember that for the next ones!

This is a great project and it sure beats cutting up balsa wood to make a cornice board! :p Thank you so much for sharing this great project!! :D

Teresa, it's gorgeous. I love the bathroom suite and your new fireplace. The bedding is beautiful. Wow, you've been working hard. I liked the new wallpaper in the sewing room, looks nice.

What a difference the railing makes on the second floor, great idea!!

I'm glad the valance worked for you.

Hope your feeling better tomorrow and you're able to continue working on it.

Wendy

Hi Teresa, I first glue a strip of hard plastic to the top of the drape on the wrong side (that also helps to keep the folds in place) and then using a dab of glue on that piece of plastic, I attach them to the top of the window frame. Then I cover the top with the cornice.

Hope that helps!

Wendy

Hi Wendy! Darn it all . . . I can't get the drapes to look like yours. :D Would you mind terribly to post some pictures of the process? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! :o

Ohh Teresa, I hadn't taken any pictures of that process, and I'm not sure how you're making yours? I do use the Perfect Pleater in 1" scale (you can purchase it on ebay). Since I hate sewing, I make sure never to make any drapes that require sewing, but I sure do love glueing.

Let me know if I can help in any way. When I start work on the other rooms, I will try to remember to take pictures.

Wendy

you can make a version of the perfect pleater...

take popsicle sticks or coffee stirers(best)

glue them to a meat tray or something to that effect

let dry well and than pleat away.

may not be a perfect as a bought pleater but will do in a pinch!

nutti :o

Thanks, Nutti, for the suggestion! :o I think I'll go ahead and get the one on eBay seeing as I have so many houses now to do! I'm also going to get that brad tool/holder thingy! I'm not using pliers again on those little brads! Way to frustrating and time consuming! :D

Currogated carboard is another way to make pleated drapes, paint the corrugated side with latex gloss or semigloss paint and let it dry really well, spray the fabric with spray starch until it's wet & smoothe it over the corrugations & let it dry.