Irish soda bread

Tams

I was teaching a bread class on another site and made mine into Irish soda bread. I couldn't find anything telling me what size, etc. to make it, so I guessed. How accurate do you think this is??

DSC05883.jpg

Irish Soda Bread hasn't been around for thousands of years. It wasn't until around the 1840's that bicarbonate of soda (Bread soda) as a leavening agent was introduced to Ireland. The basic soda bread is made with flour, baking soda, salt, and soured milk (or buttermilk).

The above is what I found in a google search for history of soda bread.

I used polymer clay for mine - 4 parts white, 1 part ochre. After shaping the loaves, then I added pastels - ochre all over, burnt sienna and brown on top. After baking, I added just a wee bit of varnish to give it a shiny appearance.

I worked with a lady whose Irish grandmother taught her how to make soda bread, and she brought some in to work one St Patty's Day and graciously shared her recipe with me. I baked it in an iron skilet for years, I still shape an 8"-9" round loaf when I make it, and often add raisins, too. Your loaves look a lot smoother and browner than mine, more like my yeast breads after I've oiled the fresh-baked tops. My soda bread comes out looking a lot lighter, like my biscuits & scones.