Pet Related vignettes/room boxes

KathieB

The pet shop/grooming parlor I made for my nieces shop is getting a lot of favorable attention. She says customers are asking if I'd make something for them, do I have a website, etc. I've been trying to think of how one would approach this. I'm thinking about making four prototypes, one for each season. Christmas with a tree, of course, spring flowers/butterflies, summer picnic or beach, fall colors/school themes. I'd make a false wall, so there would be a "view" outside the window, there would be a fireplace in each, and a picture of the customer's pet over the fireplace.

I would do them only to order, so I wouldn't have a lot money tied up in inventory, and her customers would pay a reasonable price. (These are people who spend up to $50/week to groom their furkids.) I would put photos of the prototypes on my website so they could be easily seen, but I wouldn't put a lot of energy into advertising, as I really don't want to become a one-woman cottage industry! I think orders from Jen's customers and word-of-mouth would probably be enough to keep me busy but not overwhelmed. And if it ceases to be fun, I could quit in a heartbeat.

Observations and suggestions welcome!

I think that's a great idea. Another idea would be to have different replicas of the animal's favorite things/toys/activities around the room. For example, my dogs love their agility course, so you could make a mini course. They LOVE to chew cardboard and I usually have a pile of it somewhere, so you could replicate that.

Those are just a few (not so great) ideas, but I hope you get the picture. Good luck!

I think the idea of having different pets as well as different settings is a good one. Offering four basic designs is a wise choice. If people want further customization, be willing to do so, but don't be afraid to charge extra when they want extra!

Jeri

I think this sounds like a lot of fun, and I also think that it is a sound plan to have some "basics" to go from, then have a mind set on "add ons" perhap have a imaginary list of items that could be substituted, instead of a chair you could have an armchair add... etc etc? And you could also have the "baby" room as a basic? One could make the furniture in whites and then add the colour of choice as the trims/blankets/rugs etc and have a baby picture framed, perhaps a baby picture album etc etc?

I like this pet idea though... May I borrow some of it??

Hugs

I like this pet idea though... May I borrow some of it??

Borrow away! Ideas shared only get stronger, as you'll notice from the great suggestions above. Thank you all for your input.

I'm beginning to believe that the Pierce and Westville and Beacon Hill are going to be in their boxes for a long time. Too many "short term" project ideas pop up and demand to be done ... like the Mardi Gras Float, the Heart Arbor, the Houseboat ... and now the room boxes. I'm going to have to live a very long time to get to everything! :shifty: