splicing in inches to raise ceilings

alycemina

Hi all,

I want to raise the ceilings from about 8 inches to 10 or on the first floor, 9 or so on the second floor of my unstarted van buren. I have thought it out regarding where to splice in thin plywood (near the ceiling although it might not matter since I am replacing all the windows with Georgian type about 6 or so inches high). I will have to add a couple of steps to the staircase and make other adjustments too. Anyone done this that has some hints? Should I just get thin plywood and cut all new walls?

Thanks and regards, alyce

I have done this with a Primrose kit.

we used foamcore...it was thicker than our walls but we went with it and used the inner lip as a shelf around the room....for what you are doing I would choose something else.....trip to lowes or Home Depot with some of the kit wood could help you find what you are needing!

I would find it before cutting the walls you have now.

Good luck

nutti :flowers:

I'm doing this with the houseboat kit. Because it's a serious bash (from 1:12 to 1:24 scale), I'm going to have some pieces of wood available for the stretch and additional interior walls.* I'm gluing the bits that should come out but don't need to. For a couple of the inner walls, I'm using 1/8" corrugated cardboard.

*yeah, I know walls on boats are bulkheads ... :jawdrop:

• 2 weeks later...

Best way to add height to the walls would be cut new taller walls using the existing ones as a pattern. Trace the lower half on a blank piece of plywood then shift it by the amount of stretch including locating the slots for the floor tabs.

Another way is to cut the walls apart and add a piece where the extra height is needed. Here I would take a piece of 1/32 birch plywood and laminate it as an extra complete skin over the wall panel inside and out to reinforce the splice

Both ideas can be used to enlarge houses horizontally as well

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

If you add the lower floor height with a splice at the bottom of the slots and the upper floor at the top of the walls so the second floor slots will come in the correct places; and you can splice the interior walls the same way. I think it was a Buttercup kit I saw done on another forum in a similar way to make the second floor the same height as the first. I had thought I'd like to try it with the Sugarplum.

H all,

Thanks for the suggestions. What I have ended up doing is cutting new, higher exteror walls from plywood and am/will be adding to the interior walls by splicing in additional luan. Works great. Will start a blog at some point, since also fussing big time with the staircase i am making. Landing, no landing, facing the back, then facing the front. I think I will go with no landing, gradation of stairs (wide to consistant 3 inches) and facing the front door. That is the decision today, anyway. I have a model I am fussing with that I can remake when I have definately decided on the design. The Dremel sander is super for sculpting edges to make look professional and elegant.

All of my windows (17+) and a new front door have arrived and holes in most of the exterior cut to accomodate. Will be adding a basement level at some point for a kitchen and storage room. I think this should keep me busy! And the Plantation monster sits in the entry hall, staring at me for work.

regards, Alyce