Lights?

jeninky

I have never wired a house and would like to know if you could tell what all I need to get....

I know that it is expensive so would like to know what to get...

Most of my houses are not the large ones two floors...

I want to make my list and get a little at a time so I will have it when I need it..

mini hugs

Jennifer

Jen, everyone has their own choice. Myself, I like the wire. You have to make grooves in you wall and drill holes in the floor to run the wire through to the bottom where all the wires end up to meet you power source. I had the tape in the house I have now and couldn't get it to work (even had a diagram). I have just finished ripping out the wallpaper and wire and am starting over again. I think it's a lot of work but I will be much happier that I have it. I bought all the plugs, cieling lights, scants and extra wire I needed first.

Good luck.

beth

I have only used tape wire and find it fairly easy. There is a tutorial on the forum that Darrell did about putting lights into a dollhouse. I think this is it: lighting tutorial I haven't used it but have read that it is very straight forward and wonderful. There are several threads around on lighting since we tend to discuss it when someone is going to try something new with it. Look around and you will see lots of opinions.

The first thing you need is a plan. Since you are putting together alist, you are beginning your plan. I have only used tapewire, which is very easy and does not require many special tools.

Decide first how how many lights you want, and where you want them. The reason for this is you must buy the correct transformer for the number of bulbs you have. let's say you bought a 16 bulb transformer, and then purchased a 5 light chandelier. That light will use nearly 1/3 of your transformer's capacity. That is why this step is so important and must be done early in the process.

Then put together a wiring schematic. Cir-Kit shows you this on their website. http://www.cir-kitconcepts.com/

The essential materials are lights, tapewire or roundwire, and a transformer.

You can buy the tapewire and transformer as a kit or separately. The kit includes the brass brads you will need to connect pieces of tapewire, eyelets for plug in type fixtures, a test probe, and a pilot hole punch, as well as the transformer and tapewire. You can buy all those things separately or as a kit. The kit will be cheaper than buying everything a al carte.

Earth and Tree sells a brad insertion tool, useful if you have trouble handling the tiny brads. You will need a knife or scissors to cut the tapewire. That's about it for tools.

You will need lights, of course.

That's it!

Hi Jennifer-

I just wired my first house and had to do it twice beceuase I didn't listen the first time. I personally liked working with the tape. I bought the basic kit without the transformer because it had the brads, tape, punch tool, lead wire, junction splice and tester. I waited to get the transformer until after I had run the tape through the whole house. Big mistake. If I had it to do over again I would have bought the kit and then got the transformer right when I was ready to start running the tape. You have to have the transformer to test the tape runs. I was trying to do it a little at a time too to save money.

My advice is to read Darrell's tutorial about 10 times, then start a little at a time and test every run (tape line) as you go. This will save you a lot of headaches and short circuits later on. Once I did it the second time, it wasn't really hard especially since I had made mistakes the first time. It was very exciting when my first little carriage light lit up!!!

Also, those tiny brads just fly away sometimes, so I am going to get the brad tool when I am ready to wire my San Fran.

Good luck! Wiring seems a lot more intimidating than it really is once you try it. It's well worth it though when all those little lights come on line!

• 1 month later...

hey, jennifer,

you might take a look around the website at HBS/Miniatures.com, where you just got your kit. they have lots of choices.

if you've not already done so, you may want to ask if you can get a 50% discount on the kit, or whatever your highest priced item is that you buy from them. HBS is having a one day sale that has begun now and ends at 11:59 pm on April 2nd, offering a 50% discount on the highest priced item in your order. The media code is N1207.

manor house miniatures, at www.manorhouseminis.com, has an extremely modest flat rate shipping cost, and a nice range of lighting fixtures.

others here have said that wall sconces and light fixtures are hard to install. i haven't tried yet. dolls house emporium has some cool wall lights, at http://www.dollshouse.com/dhe/product.aspx...spx?prodtype=66

:wub:

EDIT: whoops, sorry, i just saw yr post abt getting onto the HBS sale boat.

I have not been brave enough yet to light a house with mini lighting. I would love to see your progress on this - would you please post pics as you move through the steps? Thanks, and good luck! :wub: