Wiring dilemna

peggyquade

Ok, the electrical works ok so far except...see the strip that is going halfway up the wall and down onto the floor and across the floor...it's a cut connection so I had to put brass brads in....the thing is, the tape shows electricity on the part that goes up the wall partway but not on the part of the tape that is going across the floor...which is where I need it to have electricity of course! Why is it registering a current going up the wall but not down the same piece of tape? Arrghhh! Can someone help me before I go bald!

Brads must not be making a connection. Try soldering the connection, sometimes if you used a punch to make the hole for the brad it might be a tad larger than the brad and a broke connection.

Sorry, after seeing your other post with the picture, this may not be the case. I can't really tell from the picture, but there looks like 2 tiny "bumps" in the lower portion of the tape wire--could this be the problem?

Edited by Peggi

Peggy, do you have a picture? Sometimes it helps to see what's going on.

Are there brads in each of the runs (meaning the purple and copper runs)? I also use a small hammer to give each of the brads a gentle knock into the wood to 'tighten' the connection. I also use two brads per run just to be sure to get a good connection.

Let us know how you make out!

Peggy can you repost your picture. When I merged your post with the picture to this topic from your other posts, the picture did not come through.

Please let's keep this issue in this one topic. That way, everyone will know which topic to post in :wave:

Of course I forgot to attach the picture! Here it is.

post-924-1170818450_thumb.jpg

Peggy, I'm not quite sure where the problem is. I see a horizontal tape on the wall to the right and a vertical tape that is bradded into it that runs down onto the floor. Then I see another piece of tape at an angle across the short bradded tape ... but it does not appear to be connected with brads.

It sounds like there is juice on the horizontal tape, right?

And there is juice on the vertical tape that is on the wall, right?

Does it test okay both above and below the bradded joint on the wall?

Where is there NO juice ... on the piece of vertical tape that bends onto the floor (the part below the joine) or is it the tape at an angle?

Did you test the brads themselves? If the both have juice going to them, the only thing I can think of is you gotta really shove that tester in there and angle it.

I sometimes find I am not holding the tester right and no matter how much stabbing I do, it takes forever to show the light.

That is the only thing i can think of as wrong.

With your help, I did correct the problem. I removed the 4 brads I had put in the connection, moved the tape wire a little so that I could put 4 new brads in new places in the tape and it worked. I think when I made a pilot hole for one of the brads, I made it too big so the connections wasn't there. Anyway, I sure appreciate all your help! Thanks!