The Linfield

MiniDoxLuvr

I have recently acquired a Linfield by Dura-craft and very excited because to me it seems to be the love child between my first dollhouse that I remember fondly,the Newberg and another kit I have always liked, the Heritage. The Linfield has almost the same exact floor plan as the NEwberg and the exterior is similar but yet it has some of the higher end features like the Heritage such as magic stone, working windows and gutters/downspouts. So I am very excited about building this.

Do any of you have pics of this house that you have completed that you could share, or in a gallery that you could point me toward? I have been unable to find much online in the way of other finished houses and I like to look at what others have done.

Also anyone who has built it if there are any nuances about this house that you learned thru trial and error that you would like to share i'd love to hear it! I am so excited to have a vintage dura-craft! I know the company did not build house kits quite as up to par as greenleaf but there is a nostalgic love that I have for that company and those kits.

Oh last question - to any of you who have built this kit and the Newberg - was this kit any better to assemble than the newberg? the newberg was quite a bear to put together and it seems to be unanimous to everyone who built this that there were gaps...wondering if anyone has known the linfield to be better by design when putting it together.

Edited by MiniDoxLuvr

I dont really mind the challenge, it is just that the newberg had a design flaw and no matter how well the bldr followed directions tehre were a lot of gaps. I am wondering if there are fewer gaps in this one....I don't midn it being a difficult kit at all.

I think gaps were a problem with this house as well. I don't remember what thread it's in, but someone points out the particular problems with the kit. Have fun building it, it's a pretty house!

I've only half built my Newberg and haven't been able to work on my Linfield yet. I would assume that the Linfield would have similar gap problems to the Newberg though. I'm looking forward to seeing how your house comes together. I love the look of the Linfield. :)

Thx...i'll try to find that topic> I looked earlier but couldn't find anything. Yes I think it is a lovely house. Even if it has the gap problem I know I can counter that with trim...I was just hoping maybe it did not have the same maladies as the Newberg.

I paid $85 for it. I don't know if I paid way too much or got a bargain. :) I think I paid $69.00 for my Newberg new in 1993 so the linfield being a higher end kit I would guess 85 was fair enough.

But God I loved that newberg and remember it so fondly.....the linfield interior is almost identical to the newberg which is cool.

I still want to do a heritage one day as well. It will be hard to decorate IMO based on the floor plan but gorgeous exterior. Someone posted a link to an ebay auction where it was done completely au natural wood and it was beautiful. I might like to do a house like that one day...but I am such a paint fiend lol.

I actually built both of them recently, and, despite my promise that I would never build the Linfield again, guess what? I forgot that I promised someone I would build their Linfield for them so I'm about halfway done with it. This time, I think it's coming together better but I haven't put the roof on and I think that's where a lot of the gaps came up. In one of my galleries, I show the Linfield being built, step by step and I also have pics in another gallery of my finished Newberg. Personally, I liked the Newberg better. Less problems with things fitting the way they were supposed to. But they are both ok...just go slow and enjoy the process, despite the problems. All kits have their problems, in my opinion.

All kits have their problems, in my opinion

this really is the truest statement! and I dont mean from house style or manufactorer

Im talking individual kits! each one has its own issues....I remember that each and everytime I open a kit.

happy building

nutti :)

I had gaps with both the San Franciscan and the Cambridge and I expect to have gaps when I build my Newberg because gaps seem to be a designflaw of Dura-Craft that are easily concealed with trim/ woodfiller.

• 2 months later...
Question, do any of you know when the LInfield was introduced by Dura-Craft? As in what year? Is it one of the newer kits? Older?

This is a very late answer, but in case you are still wondering - the copyright date on the instructions of my Linfield is 1995. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh! I just got another Linfield kit for 10 bucks! Someone locally posted an ad for it a while ago for $50 and I wished I had the money to get it and yesterday just on a whim I checked back to see if they'd sold it yet and they'd marked it down to $10! They're getting ready to move and selling a bunch of stuff and just wanted to get rid of it. The box has been opened but it looks like everything is there and nothing has been punched out. I'm so excited! I have no idea what I'll do with it of course, since I have no room to build any more dollhouses right now, but for that cheap I just couldn't pass it up. :lol:

:banana: Doing the happy dollhouse dance :banana:

My Newberg may be delivered tomorrow. I hope all the pieces are there. It sounds like everyone has gaps wirh this house. How bad can the gaps be? I am just finishing the Lily and I may have it's address as 13 Crooked Lane. I don't think there was a piece in it that wasn't at least slightly warped. I don't mind filling gaps but the wood gets expensive, anywhere from 65 to 95 cents a piece at Hobby Lobby. I buy baseboards 12 in a box from Ernie, and wait for Hobby Lobby to put the craft wood at 50% off. If this wasn't so much fun I wouldn't do it.

• 1 year later...

I have had a Linfield kit for about 3 years and finally had some time to look in the box and found that it is missing the instructions, does anyone have a copy of them that they can send or post? Also does anyone have any pointers for assembling this kit for a beginner (this is my first kit).

...does anyone have any pointers for assembling this kit for a beginner (this is my first kit).
Patience, David, infinite patience, and dry fit everything together before committing it to glue.

Use the "Search" feature, somewhere someone listed a source for Dura-Craft kit instructions. Also, you could PM the members who have built a Linfield to see if they still have their instruction booklet.

Finally, please drop in over at the Newcomers' Forum to introduce yourself to everybody! We're all glad you're here.

Sounds similar to building R/C cars, and other plastic models then. The one thing that I will say for the kit is that the video it came with makes it look a lot easier than what I am actually expecting.

:lol: Oh, yeah, the video; the SF555 came with one, too. After sitting through it the fourth time and yelling at the guy that his !**#$%! kit didn't go together like that, I threw it out! Very therapeutic, and I still finished the kit.

• 1 month later...