Deconstucting My Willowcrest

As I mentioned in my "New Introductions" post, I have the Willowcrest which I completed building in the late '90s. Unfortunately, when the shell was completely put together, I realized I had made a huge mistake by not painting and papering at least the hallway before assembly. (In looking back, I recalled reading in the instructions before I started, that it was a wise idea to do so, but I plowed ahead anyway, Bozo that I was.) When I realized the error of my ways, I tried everything I could think of to at least paint that hallway, but to no avail. I'm talking bent Q-tips thru the side window, paintbrush-on-a-stick, rag-on-a-stick; nothing worked. I finally emailed Greenleaf about my problem and a very kind gentleman replied that my only alternative was to take it all apart and start over. At the time, we were in the process of buying an old farmhouse in Maine, so I put that project on the back burner until now.

So, here we are, 8 years later, and having finally gotten our farmhouse pretty much whipped into shape, I'm now ready to tackle my dollhouse once again. What with the move, I can't find my original instructions, so I'm hoping someone out there can give me some help. Is it possible for me to just remove the outer wall, abutting the hallway or do I really need to take the entire thing apart? You might also need to know that, rightly or wrongly, I used a hot glue gun to assemble it.

I've probaly given you far more information that you really need, but any help you can give me would be appreciated!

Sorry, I can't help specifically with your house, as I've not tackled that one...except to offer these two comments:

1. Greenleaf is very accommodating; if someone here doesn't have the instructions, I suspect they'll be glad to talk you through it again...

2. Hot glue gun??!! You used a hot glue gun??!! I'm in the midst of re-habbing a house (my Brimble) that someone put together with hot glue. It either shatters on contact, leaving bits of glue everywhere, on the house, the floor, the worktable top...and they're like fine glass spinters...

or it sticks SO well that I end up shearing off a layer of wood when I try to separate parts. Ugh. I hope someone here has a solution you can try that works!

I just spent an hour painting a staircase in my Brimble that had never been painted before. Hey, everyone -- paint (or stain or carpet) the staircase BEFORE you put it in, if you don't want to "improve" your vocabulary with a few colorful words.... :wave:

You can contact Ms.mini by PM. She is doing the Willowcrest. Also I have read somewhere here that you can use a hairdryer to soften the hot glue and then it comes apart easily. I haven't tried this but I read it somewhere. I'm sure you'll get lots of comments on this.

Thank you for your replies, uppitycats and Irene. I appreciate it very much. I know I was a fool for using the hot glue gun, :wave: and I promise never to do it again! I just didn't know any better at the time. I'll definitely try the hair dryer trick Irene!

Thank you both, once again!

You can contact Ms.mini by PM. She is doing the Willowcrest. Also I have read somewhere here that you can use a hairdryer to soften the hot glue and then it comes apart easily. I haven't tried this but I read it somewhere. I'm sure you'll get lots of comments on this.

Here I am :lol: if you dont have the instructions i would be happy to copy mine and mail you them or i can scan them and email them to you. either way, id be happy to do it! now when you are sying you forgot to wallpaper the hallway are you talking about the upstairs hallway that is where the stairs are? instead o taking the entire house apart i would suggest just removing the the walls on that floor. also since you did use hot glue, maybe you coud go over the important parts again with wood glue? (am i wrong in saying this? anyone else please feel free to jump in) anyways please feel free to pm me with any questions id be happy to help. also in my webshots link below i have hundreds of picture of my willowcrest being built!

good luck to you and im looking forward to pics!

Thank you Bec & Jenny!

Bec, I'm glad my faux pas will benefit you, and maybe some other members in the future. We all learn from our mistakes, as they say, and I sure learned a BIG one!

Jenny, my hallway problem is the downstairs portion - figures, huh? - so I'm going to have to take it all apart to get to it. I've gone to your Webshots site and think I can figure out how to do this just by looking at your pix there. Thanks so much for providing it to look at. If I run into any other problems, I'll be sure to give you a shout!

Thank you both once again!

Donna

aww yes the dreaded downstairs hallway. you know i got very lucky, nutti warned me ahead of time about that before I had the chance to make that same mistake. since you used hotglue, i suggest maybe to use a steak knife or something like that and try to cut the stairs away from the wall. Ive done this before when i used hot glue on my garfield (before i knew not to) and it worked just fine to remove it. i hope this helps, like i said before if you have any questions please feel free to contact me id be happy to help.

Donna, we are human and ur mistakes are learning opportunities. I have read on different forums of people disassembling their hot glue joins with a blow-dryer. Be patient, it's tedious. I have a Willowcrest I want to build and I LOVE your colors!

Hi, Donna, welcome to the forum! :wave:

I'm in the midst of building the Willowcrest and I think you may be able to just pry that side wall back near the front to give yourself enough room to paint or wallpaper that main floor foyer (prop it open with a wooden spoon or some such thing if you are able to pry it back). Failing that, unfortunately, you will have to deconstruct from the roof down. Bummer! Oh well, in the end you'll be much happier!

Is your house green? It looks shockingly similar to the paint I've chosen for my Willowcrest! :) I've also blogged my progress which is here http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...woman/index.php?

Good luck to you and keep us posted! :wave:

I wish I would have caught that area sooner than I did...I did manage to get most of it decorated I did not get it all!

good luck and please post photos! The Willowcrest is my alltime favorite house!

nutti :welcome:

Thank you one and all, for your kind words of encouragement!

It's proving to be a real nerve-wracker for me, so it may end up being one of those proverbial "Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory" situations. But I'm trying my best!

Thanks again. I just LOVE this place!!

Donna

Edited by LaurentiaFletwick

Yes, you can remove the one wall so you can access the hallway. It still makes it hard to do the downstairs hallway, but with a little crafty patience it can be done without having to tear the whole house apart. I had to do this on the Willowcrest finished last autumn...

Oddly, after all the torture you go through finishing the hallways, when you restore the wall and rooms it abuts, you still don't see the hallways...but it is a personal satisfaction!