What's the difference?

cyndi3k

Okay, I know I'm new at this, so I need some help. I've heard some of you talking about paper clay and I think about Das. What is the difference? Can you use Das instead of Creative Paper Clay? The reason I ask is that while I was at Michaels today looking for paper clay, this is what I found. Creative Paper Clay--8 oz. package--$5.49. Das Clay--2.2 pound package--$6.49. A big difference. :wave: So, what's the deal? Please help:unsure:

I'll let someone else explain the differences, and there are differences, but most people here from what I've gathered prefer to use the paperclay.

I, on the other hand, am in the lonely minority and prefer the DAS. The smell doesn't bother me, I like the texture, it rolls out nice in the pasta roller, and is much cheaper. I did a whole house in DAS clay using it for bricks.

I really don't know the differences, but in previous postings the best I could tell was the spell. I used DAS for a recent swap and the smell wasn't that bad to me. I bought it because it was cheaper and sometime this week will be experimenting with it to try and make fake tree bark. (To lazy to go out and get some from the woods and not real thrilled with the idea of making sure the bugs die) :wave:

There was nothing in english on the package, so I couldn't tell if it was air dry clay or not. Is it? The lady at Michaels had no idea what I was talking about. :wave: Does it smell anything like Play Dough? I can't be around anything that smells like Play Dough. Thanks!!!

Cindi, I did a search and the only thing I could find was that DAS is modeling clay and paperclay is a paper base clay. Also in the search it directed me to some other discussion groups and some think the DAS doesn't shrink as much and keeps longer whereas others say they still prefer the paperclay. Basically I found that they do the same thing.

Maybe before long, someone with much more experience will weigh in.

I just opened my first bag of DAS a few days ago.

I can't recall any smell, so I can tell you it doesn't smell like Play doh at all, I'd have noticed that.

It seemed much more clay like to me than paperclay. I formed a slab of it and made a depression in it. I was playing around to see if it would make a good counter with built in sink or not, but I don't need to use that idea anymore.

It did show a bit of cracking when I pressed in the shape of the sink, sort of like paperclay would. I've done some work with regular modeling clay in the past and it wouldn't have cracked. I didn't used a lot of water to smooth it, because I wasn't sure if it would react like paperclay which can crack like crazy if you work it too wet.

It didn't look like it shrank much, but then again, I didn't check the measurement because I abandoned my original idea.

Once it dried it looked pretty good as far as texture went.

Thank you! As long as it doesn't smell like play doh, I'll try it. Play doh is one of my triggers for my migraines. I was wondering how it would do for bricks, stones, stuff like that. Have you tried anything like that with it?

I, on the other hand, am in the lonely minority and prefer the DAS. The smell doesn't bother me, I like the texture, it rolls out nice in the pasta roller, and is much cheaper. I did a whole house in DAS clay using it for bricks.

And it's held up well? What kind of shrinkage have you encountered?

Kat

Both paperclay & DAS are air-drying clays. DAS was first marketed as premixed papermache and if I ever decide to work in that type of medium (meaning when I finally find a working whizzer/ food processor at a thrift store) I'll whip up papermache because it's cheaper than buying premixed clay; my recipe includes a bit of gypsum powder (plaster of Paris) which makes it a bit more claylike, if with a risk of cracking while drying.

Hi Cyndi!

I've tried both and found a lot of shrinkage and cracking with Paperclay. Used DAS for the exterior of my sportsbar building and for my spooky tree with almost no cracking and minimal shrinkage. The cost difference is huge and I've had good results with the DAS so I'll keep using it.

Incidentally, found that my thumb nail was perfect for creating bark marks on tree trunks :wave:

Thanks Charlene! I think I'll try it. I need to make a stone walk way and a tree. BTW, I love your spooky tree, he looks great!

And thanks to everyone for all of your help. :wave: I am so new to all of this, and honestly, I don't have a clue. :w00t: So I hope you guys don't get tired of me asking questions. As soon as my kit gets here (Oh ... 3 kits) :( and I get started, I know that I am going to have ALOT more questions.

And it's held up well? What kind of shrinkage have you encountered?

Kat

It had a little shrinkage, but not a lot. But then I made my bricks in "sheets" and then after they were dried applied them to the house so any shrinkage wouldn't be a problem.

I did the chimney to my Shenandoah Log Cabin in paperclay because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, but I'll probably continue to use Das instead.

:birthday:

Since answering questions & sharing information is one of the reasons I joined this forum you go ahead & ask all the questions you want & need to. :banana:

Thanks so much! :banana: You may regret saying that once I get started. I have so many ideas in my head it's unbelievable! Now if my kits would just here I'd be set! :banana:

I use Both, Das & Creative Paper clay. I still like Creative paperclay the Most because it holds the shape better to me. Das has very little shrinking, but it does have a smell to it that makes me feel sick if I am around it too long. I also have Eczema and it gets worse on my hands when I use DAS clay but not when I use paperclay :banana: . It even lingers after the clay has dried. I did a test about 3 years ago on DAS and PAperclay on the Cantebry house. One I used Paper clay The other Das and they both came out very well I used Das Clay with this one:

gallery_4_117_65283.jpg

I used Creative paperclay on this one:

gallery_4_117_233717.jpg

Das clay starts off wetter than paperclay too (More messy on your fingers and tools) but that can easily be cleaned off and the other things I have found is DAS clay dries a little faster than paperclay BUT You can roll DAS clay thinner than you can paperclay without getting cracks in it. I think they both have there pros and cons. I tell people all of the time, you really can get the same results with DAS clay as you can paper clay but I guess because I have used paperclay so much more (I also like knowing that it is non toxic and no smells where as DAS clay does have a smell & I can't read the package either :banana: it's not in English).

Sorry for my slow response. I have had a lot going on in my Offline life which has kept me not as focused here the past month or so. :banana::birthday:

Ohhh Another thing is DAS clay dries to a white color whereas Paperclay dries to a cream color which can be left that color when simulating plaster :banana:

Thank you so much Tracy! Everyone has been so great to help me. BTW your houses are beautiful!!! Maybe some day I'll catch up. I'm a little worried about the smell of Das. I guess I'll just have to try it and see. Some smells do trigger my migraines. My son has now decided that he wants a rock wall around the yard of his Harrison instead of a fence. I think I will probably have to go with the Das for that, I don't think that I could afford enough of the paper clay.

Das can go a long way!! You have to work faster though because it does dry faster. Paper clay I have about 30 min that I can actually still make stone imprints whereas Das clay, I have 15 -20 min of work time I have to keep a wet towel handy to keep it covered while I am working on that part of the house (Keeping a towel on it can be hard when the house is standing up :birthday: so try to have it laying flat when if you do this :p ;)

Remember to have Fun with it!!! Love it because it's YOURS!! Looking at real stones can help you create fake ones. For stone patterns Try looking here:

http://www.culturedstone.com/products/stone.asp

Oh he loves clay! Any kind! I'll have to watch it or he'll take it all. Since we can't have Play Doh in the house, I buy him the plain old dollar store modeling clay. He loves. Makes everything under the sun (and above it sometimes). :birthday: