Unusual containers

Bonsaikathy

After seeing the birdhouse done into the neatest house today for birds,

I am curious what others have used for unusual containers for mini scenes.

I'll start, I used a gutted 17" computer monitor to make a wizard's crystal

cave.

What was your inspiration or motivation for using the particular container.

My inspiration was "The Crystal Cave" by Mary Stewart. I didn't have pictures

to go on so just used my imagination. It was great fun. I finished the inside already and

soon will be working on the outside landscaping.

Kat

Lol, if I can figure out how in the world to size it down I will post one. It's huge.

Kat

Try downloading this Image resizer I got this from Dean and it works like a charm! Once downloaded you just right click on the picture, hit resize picture and WALLA it fixed and you can add it to posts or gallery

Thanks Irene, I have all sorts of graphics programs on this computer but I haven't used any of them lately and I was trying to do it quickly. I figured that it would be faster and easier to just send a link to webshots adn there's more pics there of it anyway. :) So I cheated and took the easy way out.

Kat

There is an old vintage wooden radio in the basement that I've been eyeing for awhile, but I'm forbidden from touching it. It doesn't work, but it's my dad's and he doesn't think my gutting it and turning it into roombox is a good idea. So it sits in a cupboard in the basement unused.

hey thanks for the yummy eye candy!

that crystal cave is awsome!

will you share how you achieved the looks of the walls and ceiling!

wow!

and it soooo sparkly!

thanks for sharing! I look forward to seing the outside

hmmmmm...wonder if I have an old monitor or something? :)

nutti :wave: :w00t:

Kat -

Lovely work.

Mary Stewart is one of my favourite authors. One of my favourites of hers (along with Crystal Cave) is Airs Above the Ground.

-Susanne

I will have to see if the library has that one, I've not read that one. I read

all but one of the merlin series she wrote.

Kat

hey thanks for the yummy eye candy!

that crystal cave is awsome!

will you share how you achieved the looks of the walls and ceiling!

wow!

and it soooo sparkly!

thanks for sharing! I look forward to seing the outside

hmmmmm...wonder if I have an old monitor or something? :)

nutti :wave: :w00t:

I'd be happy to. However I'd like to add one word of caution. I'm lucky enough

to be married to an electronics expert. So when I wanted this gutted I gave it

to him to do. I also threatened him not to even turn it on. He'd fixed all the other

ones I got for the purpose. ;) Anyway play it safe if you don't know what you're

doing, please let someone that does gut it for you. There can be dangers to gutting

these things. That being said on to how I did it.

I bought z-ment, it's the cement that holds Z-bricks on. Ace hardware

either has it or can order it for you. There is more than one color I think

for our purposes that the natural is best. It's a very very light gray color.

I took several paper cups, put a dollup of zment in each and then a few drops of

different colors of food coloring. I didn't mix it thoroughly but swirled it in. I pasted it all over the walls and floor and ceiling. However if I had it to do again I'd probably fill the floor first with water putty. It's cheaper and would be easier. I then took this ultra fine glitter, I didn't want chunks, just sparkle, and lightly sprinkled inside all over the place, turning the monitor over as I went along to reach the sides and top easier.

For the crystals and the stalactites I used a necklace I pulled apart I found at a yard sale and went all over town to all the Christmas places here and found lots of different blown glass icicles.

The picture in the back I had to paint. I couldn't find anything just right for the picture out the cave door. For the arch in the back I used tinfoil to the shape I wanted. Then covered it in the zment mixture. Did the steps the same way.

Kat

I found a box in a clearance bin at the Dollar Store a few weeks back. It opens in the front and has a coffee theme. There are some small hooks on the inside, so I assumed it was a box for holding keys. When I saw it for .50 cents, I grabbed it. Boy, did DH give me a funny look. Anyways, I was thinking at the time that it would make a nice little spot for a coffee shop in a box. I haven't done anything with it, but I certainly have some ideas.

I did this Thanksgiving scene in a wicker cornacopia this past Thanksgiving. I wanted to find an unusual container for the scene and saw the basket at Walmart.

post-998-1168957342_thumb.jpg