wood help

dollshousegirl

Hi there, i know there are people on here with experience in wood, and wondered if i could ask your opinion.

I got the Hobby's catalouge the other day and it has free plans for a roll top desk, I plan to make it for my house.

The instructions say to use, cherry and pine, is this wood esy to use/cut etc. I don't have any power tools and was going to get some obeche as i know thta is easy to work with. would it make a heap of difference if I were to use that. I know my local model shop has obeche (they probably have cherry and pine too)

if I have to, I will go for the cherry and pine, but just wondering what difference it would make

many thanks

Sal

No power tools? I think cherry is hard to cut. I've cut pine with hand tools. I don't know anything about obeche...but it would seem to me that there's a reason the hobby shop has it -- because it's easy to work with for the home hobbyist!

These are plans for a rolltop? I don't see why you couldn't use whatever wood you want, and just follow the plans?

Good morning.

I dont know what obeche wood is.

But when I make furniture I use basswood and then stain to what I need it to be. Basswood is easily attainable here probably like your obeche wood is for you. Ask at your mdel store if it can be stained. If so I would get a piece and some stain and test it to see if you like it.

Hugs,

Bec

I would have to say that basswood or balsa would be your best choice. You could use pine, but check the wood before you buy to make sure there are no knots in it. I think cherry would be hard for you to cut. Whatever wood you use, you can stain it whatever finish you want.

I just googled obeche. It appears to be similar to basswood but with a slightly more distinct grain. It is a fairly light colored wood, so it would probably take any stain rather well.

If you're comfortable with the obeche, it looks like a good choice.

Obeche & basswood are pretty much the same. Is this John Davenport's furniture-making book? I have that one & want to make that desk, our local firewood supplier advertises he carries cherry lumber, but he's been "out" of it when we've stopped & asked. Balsa is too soft to make a nice-looking mini desk or other mini furniture, unless you want to distress it easily. Basswood/ obeche is soft enough! but with care & stains I'll bet you could get a really nice piece from it.

Basswood is easy to find even at walmart's craft dept. If you don't have tools, it's easier to cut basswood I think with hand tools, just takes a bit more work is all to get it nice looking. Then as Bec suggested when done just stain the color you want it. Just be very careful to try to keep glue off the wood or stain won't penetrate the wood.

Kat