Sanding Question

caitejay

I've only been sanding the edges of my wood pieces - should I also be sanding the surfaces (i.e. walls, ceilings, etc.)? I haven't glued anything together yet or sealed them...

You can...but you don't have to. Sometimes wallpaper will stick better to a smoother surface, and sometimes paint will adhere better, but it's really up to you. It's YOUR house, your project. If you're happy with it as it is, then enjoy it.

If I'm using a wallpaper, I don't sand the flat surfaces, unless there is an obvious problem. If I'm going to paint the walls, I usually give it a quick once over with a fine grit paper, like 200 or higher. Then be sure to use a tack cloth to get all the dust off or you can get a really bad paint job. (been there!)

be sure to use a tack cloth to get all the dust off or you can get a really bad paint job. (been there!)

You actually want to use a tack cloth (male significant other's old teeshirts make GREAT tack cloths!) whenever you sand (also been there and over there, too).

If I am applying WP from the sample books, I don't bother sanding.

If I am doing a more refined finish, I would prime and then sand lightly before painting or using WP I had actually PAID FOR (choke! cough, cough!)

Also if you want to remove paper paper pasted onto raw wood......don't even think about it! Get the paper clay out!