Garfield Builder

debragarfield

Hello--

I think I'm getting the hang of this forum... maybe. We started the Garfield on Christmas Day and after ignoring the first direction and PANICKING.... it is now moving along quite nicely. This is our first ever venture into dollhouses-- we are building for my nine-year old daughter. Nothing like starting with the biggest.

We also soon realized we could not build it in our basement as planned-- we live in an old house and it didn't take long to realize it would never fit through the basement doorway once built. We had to move our dollhouse construction zone to our dining room.... another motivation to move it along.

I saw the question about stairs and I tell you, we did the first floor staircase-- stained, then assembled. We did the second floor staircase assembly first, then stained and finished. It looks better than the first-- no glue marks. We have not used any hot glue-- I've always had problems gluing my fingers to it. We used Quick Grip on the stairs, but have switched to Aileene's Tacky glue since for the smaller jobs.

We are now on step G and trying to decide when to add electric, wallpaper and clapboard. (We've saved windows for last-- but have a first coat paint or stained and polyurethened finish on all surfaces).

We're guessing the electric and wallpaper should go in about now.... possibly the clapboard after the porch roof? Any suggestions?

--debra

P.S. So far, the two most confusing steps have been when to glue foundation and the kitchen porch steps-- every thing since then has been pretty smooth sailing! The house has fit together like a charm. (Knock on wood)

My Garfield isn't electrified...but I think you put in the wiring, and then the wallpaper over that. There are several angles and corners of the Garfield that will be nearly impossible to reach once the house is fully constructed. And clapboard would be the last, probably before you completely install the porches, though.

It's a great house. I learned a lot about the building process through building mine, and am looking forward to "rehabbing" another dollhouse, on it's way to me. This hobby can be addictive.. :)

Thank you. We're getting the electric and picking out wallpaper tomorrow so we can keep the momentum going. My daughter and I took a drive to Molehill Miniatures to look at the houses in the window. Still trying to decide (agree?) on exterior colors.

thanks again!!!!!!!!

Dear Chesterfieldzoo,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! My nine-year old has been repeatedly saying she wanted yellow, red and green--- I've been having a difficult time imaging this..... not wanting to give up WHITE gingerbread and all..... but after looking at those gorgeous Queen Anne's, I think my daughter might be on to something. Make the yellow more mustard, the red more deep brick--- is she really smarter than me? I'll show her these tomorrow (it's a school night).... my husband and I LOVED them. May be answer to our dilema!!!!!!

And-- well-- after all-- it is HER dollhouse. :)

thanks a million. Hope to post pictures soon.

--debra

If you go with the dark mustard yellow (for some reason I "see" a cross between Gulden's & Dijon) and brick red, you might want to think a lighter sage-green. I definitely think your daughter's on to something!

Welcome Yet another Garfield Owner. :(

Love to see pics of your progress, The house has a lot of insperation, I did mine in a gray tone with Red trim at least that the plan. :p I went to home depot to the paint dept. and played with the paint chips to see if I liked the colors together I also picked up the paint brosures and took them home. It has been fun. I have sided mine and have changed a few thing, every time I think Im done I see a new building design I want to try. I have had fun with the floors doing designs with the wood.

I went to big lots the other day and in the xmas stuff I found ornaments that where rose trelles that where the right size, so here we go again redesigning the out side to make them fit in. :o

Good luck building

Donna

Hey--Thanks everyone--

I have also been playing with paint chips.... numerous trips to Sherwin Williams, Walmart and finally Michael's. Showed them all to my daughter-- along with the pics of Queen Anne's from the website suggested earlier-- and she loves them! We're matching those houses. Also decided to add some more trim! Talked with Greenleaf today and they suggested we install electric next, then some of the clapboard. So I'm just waiting for my husband to start installing wires.... he says I'm "obsessed".

Love your idea of patterns on the floors... wished I had thought about that before staining them all. But they look great.

So I'm just waiting for my husband to start installing wires.... he says I'm "obsessed".

Yes, so what's his point? :rofl:

Love your idea of patterns on the floors... wished I had thought about that before staining them all. But they look great.

This idea goes into your Ideas for Next House folder. There will be a next house, you know. :unsure:

You know what?? I've never done a chit-chat-e-mail-whatever before, let alone a dollhouse. You guys are great. I'm loving the dollhouse... and this chit chat. Thanks once AGAIN. We completed wiring of one section tonight-- seems too easy, we must be doing something wrong. Gosh, I'm loving this dollhouse thing! :rofl:

--debra :unsure:

You know what?? I've never done a chit-chat-e-mail-whatever before, let alone a dollhouse. You guys are great. I'm loving the dollhouse... and this chit chat. Thanks once AGAIN. We completed wiring of one section tonight-- seems too easy, we must be doing something wrong. Gosh, I'm loving this dollhouse thing! :roflmao:

--debra :D

Debra I'm with you, I also never did forums or chat rooms or a dollhouse until a little over a year ago, got a dollhouse found this forum for help when I got stuck and now have completed three houses, have 3 kits waiting to be built and have to come and check in on the forum everyday.

Dollhouses and this forum are very addictive.

Don't worry about your wiring, the first time I wired one it worked right off and I was so proud. But I had done my research long before so I knew to check and double check where I had to join the tape. The handiest thign is the little test light.

I have also been playing with paint chips

We stopped in one of my favorite hardware stores (I have several) and I found some paint chips to use in the 1:24 scale pueblo dh I ordered, to make floor tiles, and the Big Brown Truck just now brought my kit! (the door & windows came in the mail from Ernie yesterday).

Yes, so what's his point? :groupwave:

This idea goes into your Ideas for Next House folder. There will be a next house, you know. :music_band:

My DH has sort of taken in the obssession, err hobby, and is always helping me ot when I try and fit another house/building in here, it might have helped me building a surprise shop for him for his B-day a couple of years ago....

Good luck in finding the "mom" house....

Hugs