Anybody know this house kit?

uppitycats

Oh, Artesania Latina! They're all over Europe but rarely make it to the U.S.

The houses vary in quality and elaborateness, with the London being the sort of house you'd find at the equivalent of a Hobbytown USA -- it looks snazzy, but it's meant as an easy-to-assemble first dollhouse. For their furniture, Artesania Latina uses the same factories and designs as Town Square, though some of the accessories look more like the Melissa & Doug sets in U.S. toy stores.

Of course, it's tempting just because it's rare in the U.S....

Thanks for the information! No, I'm not going to bid on it...got my Garfield, another house supposedly being shipped to me, and my greenhouse under construction, enough for now...

but I hadn't seen these on eBay, and was curious.

I do like the idea of a front-opening house -- seems space-saving, for sure, and easy access to decorate and all that. I put so much effort into the front and sides of my Garfield...only to have it turned around all the time so folks can see the inside.

The hobby shop where I buy horses has a small area of dollhouses and this is one of the houses they sell. It is very heavy. The hinges are huge. This is an excellent price even with the shipping. Did you look close at it? The downstairs is set up as a pub and a shop and upstairs is where the family lives. No living room. No stair railings. No doorways from one room to another (walls go all the way to the front of house) I think it would make a great store though.

The hobby shop where I buy horses has a small area of dollhouses and this is one of the houses they sell. It is very heavy. The hinges are huge. This is an excellent price even with the shipping. Did you look close at it? The downstairs is set up as a pub and a shop and upstairs is where the family lives. No living room. No stair railings. No doorways from one room to another (walls go all the way to the front of house) I think it would make a great store though.

Yes, I did notice that...seems like it could be bashed relatively easily, though -- cut in some doors, a staircase...

Anyway. I really really do have enough on my plate right now. But it is interesting!

I like the front opening houses because in a real house, most of the counters and furniture lines the back walls and the front of a room is clear. In open back houses, you have to put everything along the walls. I have thought of adding a back wall and hinging it to the (wood)orchid and gluing cabinets to it (when it was opened, the stuff would go with the wall and expose the rest of the furniture.

The pub version's not a bash -- it's on their Web site as a distinct variant, sold separately.

To my surprise, the Hobby Bench near my work turned out to have one. It's built of some kind of 3/8" thick fiberboard, with the wallpaper printed on the walls. So you'd need power tools to bash it. The furniture they were promoting with it wasn't the Town Square-like stuff I remember, more like Melissa & Doug or the least expensive furniture from that big dollhouse seller in England.

Another surprise at Hobby Bench was discovering that Artesania Latina used to produce tab-and-slot houses. They had a kit called the Virginia that looked like a smaller Whitney. But it was $70 marked down, which I wasn't in the mood to pay for a two-room house of uncertain scale, with wood that had been sitting in the sun for a good 20 years.

I put so much effort into the front and sides of my Garfield...only to have it turned around all the time so folks can see the inside.

Have you considered positioning it in front of a mirror? That way, you could see the room settings reflected in the mirror and still display that gorgeous exterior!

rearranging my full-sized furniture will clear my brain, as it's totally useless lately.

Let me know if that works, Wende, lately nothing seems to help me, I figure it's just an attack of CRS and go my merry way...

Yes, the mirror is a great idea. 'Cept now my husband's built the turntable upon which the Garfield is sitting (I have to change my avatar!), which works. The table that the turntable and house is sitting on was fixed with "sliders" on the legs so it slides relatively easily on the carpet, so we can pull the whole thing out away from the living room window (the only place in the house where there's ROOM for it all!), and then turn the house around. When we're not intending to display it, we can move it all back against the window, with either side facing the room. We can't turn it around (without pulling out the table again!) but that does give us a bit more space. Anyway. My fault, buying the biggest house "out there", I guess! :whistle: