magic slat (with a long a) - yay or nay?

Elsbeth

hi again,

The Glencroft saga continues and I'd love your opinion.

I'm really wanting a slate floor for the kitchen. Doesn't have to be real - just slate/stone looking.

Do you think "magic slate" is a decent flooring option? Or is it too template-1960's looking?

Man do i LOVE the glencroft.

I can see why some people get addicted to building these little houses.

Magic Slat/stone/brick is a really great product. I used it on the exterior of my librarian's cottage and love the way it looks. It's really easy to use. You apply the sticker template, dab on the stucco mixture and then peel off the template. It's a really nice 1:12 scale. However, the mixture that's included with it is a rough texture so it might not be exactly what you're looking for in a floor.

Deb

oooo - I can't wait to show photos.

I think I will try magic slate and if it doesn't work, i'll just scrape it off and start over.

you guys are always great to bounce ideas off of!

Hallowell - go get that glencroft!!

I got mine at overstock.com. Worth every penny and the shipping was $1!!!

it arrived safely - but was missing the part specs. But not to worry - I got a copy with just a bit of asking.

That sure made things easier once I knew what parts were what.

I love the "Magic Systems" and have used them several times building houses.

48816906xzlrSn_th.jpg

I feel like Deb does with this one though, I think the texture may be too rough for the floor. The texture is very deep. It would look great on the chimney & fireplaces and even the outside of the entryway on the ground. The only way I see you using it on the floor is if you use the pattern tape and paint the stone finish with textured paint (I have done that for a walkway and it turned out nice)

I LOVE the Glencroft house and can't wait to see yours!!

:)

Ok, now I have a question about this stuff and application.

I want to use this for my Queen Anne around the base. Would you apply it before putting the house together or afterward? Can it be applied over paint?

Thanks in advance!

I want to use this for my Queen Anne around the base. Would you apply it before putting the house together or afterward? Can it be applied over paint?

It would make an excellent foundation. You definitely apply it after you've assembled the house so you get a neat transition around the corners. You paint the base coat on the house first, because that's the color that shows thru the lines as the "grout" between the stones or bricks. Then apply the template and dab on the stone mix. (it's the texture of wet sand) Tracy was the one who taught me about Magic stones and her suggestion to dry brush shades of texturing over the stones when it's done really brings depth and life to the look.

I am waiting for pics to start to appear with this stuff. Sounds neat.

I had to stop and think for a minute about which houses I've used it on. (I have chronic CRS today) I used it on my faerie cottage too. I know Tracy has used it on quite a few houses, but I can't remember which of hers have it. Melissa, didn't you use it on one of your houses too?

Deb

Sandra, both the Dura-Craft houses I built came with the Magic Brik. Assemble what you want to cover, mask off what you don't want to cover (like where the front steps go) and paint the area with your grout color. Let it get good & dry before appling the stencil tape. I followed the recommendation in the San Franciscan instructions & used equal amounts of powder, water & Elmer's all-purpose white glue. While it was still damp (NOT wet!) I removed the stencil tape.

Well - I just finished up the hearth of the first floor fireplace and decided to use the magic slate for it

here is a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/jen...roft_hearth.jpg

I used spackling instead of the stone mix that came in the kit - you were right that it was too grainy and rough.

SPackling worked fine! I painted it with a light wash of acrylics in gray, green and brown. Then sealed it with acrylic sealer. So far everything is holding up.

Mind you this is a dusty, spackly photo - touch ups will be needed in the end, but for now I am very pleased with the slate look.

I think I will indeed consider this for the kitchen floor.

I love the stone look when it's painted.

This was very easy - it was my first time and all the tips I've read here over time have really helped.

I haven't glued it in yet - I still have loads of sanding and finishing to do - but I couldn't resist sharing!

Edited by Elsbeth