combating perfectionism and impatience, plus general tips (15-year old beginner)

paracosmist

does anyone know how to combat impatience when it comes to making miniatures? I realize that this is a very meticulous hobby (which I have been doing for a month or so now), but everything just feels so slow. And, perfectionism isn't helping me out here: every miniature I've seen looks so detailed and cool, while I got some very wonky furniture (probably because I don't have enough patience for the math part... augh!). I realize I'm a beginner but it still bothers me a little bit. I have a picture of my currently unfinished project (a two-wall room box) alongside my reference picture(s) that I'm doing for school (I'm fifteen). What do you guys think? My teacher said I had to contact some mentors, but I lack any mentors in my personal life, so I came here. :)

image/jpeg

b0be7011cefd53e77988b69226fce3de.jpg 

4451afa242ce07517aa3cc067a4d6b26.jpg 

Edited by paracosmist
had to fix one of my pictures to be visible :)
  • Like 2

Welcome! I hear ya! I don't have an solution either unfortunately. I waffle between impatience and procrastination. I was about your age maybe a year or 2 younger when I got my first dollhouse. I turned 60 this year and some of my handiwork still looks wonky.  The link for your room box pic didn't work for me, probably my phone. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can view it and comment. 

• Like 2

I've updated the post to include a picture of my currently unfinished project! It should be viewable now. It's good to know that even people with decades more experience than me still struggle with impatience and procrastination as well as wonkiness. Guess it should just be part of the process, haha! :) Thank you for the warm welcome, too! 

• Like 1

I began building dollhouse kits when I was in Nursing School, when I was 50, to make one for my granddaughter.  I didn't try to make it look perfect, I worked at making it look real.  That was more than 30 years ago and I still don't let myself get bogged down in "perfection".  I have looked at (and lived in) an awful lot of real 1:1 houses and I have never found any that were "perfect", because perfection isn't reality.  Yes, making things look real takes lots of patience (and some math, but you need it for real life of your own, anyway) and sometimes, undo or start over again and again to achieve what you want; but if it's what you really want, it's worth it all.  At fifteen you have a lot more time ahead of you than I do at 81.  Not all of my furniture had drawers that open and close and have dovetail joints (I tried that and a lot of my  earlier stuff's drawers did open and close, but no dovetails), but mini furniture drawers don't have to all open and close.

• Like 2

Thank you for your words! I especially like the note about the mechanisms (like opening and closing drawers) because for some reason, I was expecting that to be easy (which it now very clearly isn't, whoops!). The note about building it to look real and not perfect is also fantastic, so thank you for that as well. I appreciate it a lot! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paracosmist said:

a picture of my currently unfinished project! It should be viewable now.

Still not viewable for me on my laptop. I can see the two reference photos.

"Perfection" is not exactly in my wheelhouse, nor do I think it is an achievable goal or one that should be sought. My miniature mantra is borrowed from the magicians: "smoke and mirrors" ... if it LOOKS okay, it IS okay. Holly and I agree on that. :) 

• Like 1

If you are a perfectionist at heart, then you are may never feel differently. The only way to get better at any art is to keep practicing. I have taken 7 years of painting lessons and I still don’t feel like a great painter. It takes work. As does getting over the idea of perfectionism.

• Like 3

You have made enough posts to put your photos into albums in the Members' Gallery here.

For a first try you have tackled architecture, furniture and accessories, and I am impressed!  Yes, the results have to be painful if you're a perfectionist, but wasn't it fun to try?  And if it's fun, keep working at it.  Try to improve one thing at a time, over and over until you like it.

• Like 1

Woah!! :DD That's neat! Thank you a lot for the compliment Holly (I'm very flattered that you're impressed :D), and yes, it has been quite fun so far now (even though it was really tough to get into at first!). Everyone's advice here too is just a gift that keeps on giving, so thank you all again. Everything is appreciated!

23 minutes ago, fov said:

Jasmine has tried to add the picture of her project a couple times but it hasn't worked. We'll get it figured out!

I would let Jasmine's parents or whoever is responsible for her try to help her post a picture.  Anyone who is under age, it is not our place to help them post a public or private online photo.   We live in a crazy world.  On another note, I also believe scammers can try to befriend people any way they can.   

Edited by LoriLovesMiniatures
  • Like 1

I added it to my "About Me" section a few days ago and it's still visible to me as of now (unlike my other attempts where, when they disappeared for the rest of you, appeared as a link to nothing for me). It should be there. If it's not, I might have to get my parents to assist or get it figured out with Fov and the rest of the staff. :)

I might have an idea: I've just been copying and pasting it, but I'll see how it works this time if I just upload it. If that doesn't work, I'm going to assume that I need to upload it from some website or social media, since that's why my two other reference pictures worked: they were from Pinterest and had a website link.

thumbnail_image (1).jpg

• Like 3