ice cream parlor case

LisaN

Once again, I have tackled another diy before barely finishing the other! I have made coconuts & bananas for the peach stand--haven't even started on peaches yet, but the bananas got me thinking about banana splits, then ice cream, then those cases that hold the round cartons of ice cream & sherbet, and so on...so at eleven o'clock last night................Minis staying put diy! :blink:

I looked in my stash and cut a 12 inch piece of foam core w/ my 'new' hobby knife hubby bought me, and scored it at four inches, 2 inches, four inches, and 2 inches again. It's about 3 1/2 inches wide. I then folded it at the score lines until i had a small square box, tacky glued it and taped it on the open side. let it dry.

The ice cream cartons are made from toilet paper rolls, cut down to size of an inch of so high--I eyeballed it. The bottom of the carton is a metal key shipping tag, round, glued on. To simulate the metal at the top of the carton i painted it silver w/ folk art paint. I needed to make the cartons before I assembled the base. I had brown model magic on hand for chocolate, I scooped and played with it in the carton(amazingly sturdy) and glued it in. Have not yet added fingernail polish to give the look of 'wetness' for ice cream, but so far so good.

The base is three pieces of foamcore, glued together. This you're on your own as far as measurements go--I had to eyeball it and use the cartons to gauge someone's arm coming in and scooping out ice cream, They are graduating sizes, glued together until the last one is fitted inside the freezer case.

For the front, I drew a line at a 90 degree? angle about an inch and a half from the top sides of the case, and across, then scored and cut(you want to save this piece, which will also be cut and scored to size to go across the top of the window where you press your nose to the glass to look at the ice cream. :o ) I have not yet assembled this piece as I am going to finish the ice cream in the cartons, and use transparancey film for 'glass' stuff I have around the house.

After all of this was glued and dried(remember wax paper ) I used some quik seal I had on hand to 'fill' the foamcore edges, and look like a real ice cream case. The back wall of the case two small squares were cut to simulate openings of doors about an inch high and wide.

Let the quik seal dry, and apply by using a toothpick, or popsicle stick, or palette knife. After it's dry, it will need to be sanded with coarse sandpaper, and to rough up the foamcore a little

I applied gesso to the whole enchilada today to strenthen it. On the edges I applied silver paint to simulate the metal sealings on the edges. I did not thin the gesso--it's better if you don't.

the stuff that might cost the most in this project is the model magic. if you skip the gesso, just spray with krylon white matte spray. I plan to use snow tex inside the case to simulate the freezer is old, and frosting up around the cartons! :lol:

***I have forgotten the fitted piece in the case that the cartons are resting in--the shelf with rounded holes for the ice cream cartons to rest in. I have been looking at this piece and realized (another astute miniaturist showed me pics of her ice cream shop--thanks so much Fern!) and I have realized i made a big boo-boo in forgetting this shelf. Though this case is ok like it is, it is probably more realistic with the shelf to rest the cartons in..........the case I had viewed just had the cartons resting on the bottom of the case. You can create your case any way you like, either way is fine. :lol:

Hope ya'll enjoy my little diy---I will post pics later this week.

I did some painting on the seams of the project, and it is beginning to be somewhat satisfactory...

I re-read Mary Eccher's recipe for ice cream in an old nutshell news, and her ice cream cones are great! To make the ice cream look --well, like ice cream, she uses the different colors of terranium sand, and i thought that sand that kids use to make sand bottles (my daughter loves that sand art, so I am thinking of raiding her supply! :blink: )

I have found several different things make great whipped cream for sundaes, etc. like caulking, puffy paint, depending on how 'gooey' you want your whipped cream. This is turning into a fun project.

thank you holly. I had forgotten about the $ store! The bags of colored sand in michaels is a little pricey, even for sand art...

I was wondering, I read somewhere that someone had mixed glass paint, and the same color sand, and a little glue to make either sorbert, or pudding? I can't remember the article. Maybe jello? I have not yet tried it but it sounds like a neat idea. Though it is probably used by mini food makers alot, I just haven't had time or the containers to try it yet.

I read somewhere recenty that someone made icecream from Crayola Model Magic. I expect you could knead a few drops of watercolor paint into it to color is, or maybe a few grains of chald pastels dust. Hmmm.

I had some brown model magic on hand for the chocolate, it looks better the more it dries, sort of like paperclay...

hmm, adding watercolor to it is something to experiment with. I hate adding acrylic paints, you use alot of paint with this stuff, its more porous than paperclay.

• 1 year later...

I was bored and reading through old posts and found this one. How did this project turn out? I couldn't find pictures anywhere. This is one I would love to try!

I was bored and reading through old posts and found this one. How did this project turn out? I couldn't find pictures anywhere. This is one I would love to try!

I'd like to see the pics of this as well.

:lol: Me three!!!!

Hugs

LisaN hasn't posted since August 11, 2006. She doesn't have an email address listed. Does anyone know her to contact her outside the forum? I'll send a PM and see if she responds. I'd like to see this, too. :lol:

Shoot... As I don't have neither foaboard or that crayola magic at hands, someone else ready for the challenge??? :wave: I do have that coloured sand though to experiement with...

Hugs

Shoot... As I don't have neither foaboard or that crayola magic at hands, someone else ready for the challenge??? :wave: I do have that coloured sand though to experiement with...

Hugs

I have the foamboard and the crayola magic, but no colored sand! LOL! Guess I know what I'll be doing today instead of my winter swap!

Is Lisa the one from Pumpkin Hill studios?

I have the foamboard and the crayola magic, but no colored sand! LOL! Guess I know what I'll be doing today instead of my winter swap!

Is Lisa the one from Pumpkin Hill studios?

Yes I think she is the one and same Lisa :wave: Soooo, how did you do with the plans then ;)

As for me, I couldn't pass "Her Higness" so I eneded up glueing window casing and trims together instead of palying with the coloured sand...

Hugs

Didn't get to it either! LOL! Spent the day helping my daughter build her octagon-shaped house for her school art project. Turned out quite cute, although we don't have the roof on it just yet. Still trying to figure that one out! LOL! Well, there's always tomorrow to play with foamcore and model magic!