Finally posted some pics

LuvDylan&Holly

Yes, the day finally came where I would figure out how to use that expensive little camera.

I put some progress pics in there, and included some pics of the problems I was having. For some strange reason, the flash on the camera is making the stain job on the stairs look really nasty. Not that the stain job was perfect to begin with (I am an amateur afterall), but it doesn't really look that bad in real life. I think I just need to improve my photography skills. Anyhoooo, I now officially have a gallery.

I may have to try and do as much work as I can over the next few weeks. I am a month away from starting my tax season hours at work. That means less time to work on the house until spring. :roflmao:

Stacey

ouh you are doing a fine job!

I have not built this house but I find it strange you should have this dip in the floor

something hasnt met up right? I dunno but I see lots of things that look great! as for those gaps where the wall and floor meet...spackle. the inside will be covered with baseboard and you can paint over the spakle and poof no crack.

for interior walls with the same issues...no worries again base boards cover many such issues!

are your staircases glued in yet? if not I would do your wallpapering first or painting before gluing them in...doing so after is tricky from what I hear. you are doing great and I love your furniture selection!

give a big push before tax season starts and it wont hurt so bad to be without the glue and wood peices

keep up the great work!

any outside color choices yet?

if I knew my house was gonna sit and look at me I would be compelled to paint the outside. Painting the outside and putting the outside trim on always seems to make it feel like lots of progress has been made

Happy Building

nutti :roflmao:

Nice job, Stacey. I found out if I stain the parts I want stained before I remove them from the plywood sheets they seem a little less brittle, but mostly because if I do have to repair a break and I don't get all the glue completely off the surface of the wood, the stain won't penetrate. It doesn't look like that's any of your problem. I've found the camera flash does strange things to paint & stain surfaces, it's another reason a lot of the pros use diffusers on their flashes. I think you're doing a terrific job so far.

Looking at those stairs you most definitely want to finish decorating where they'll go before permanently attaching them.

Thank you all so much. With this being my first house, I get so nervous that I'm not doing something right.

I have been so obsessed with the decor inside the house that I haven't come close to deciding how I'm going to do my outside paint. That's a good idea though. A finished outside would make the house look less glaring.

That is also a good idea about staining before I pop the pieces out. I have been almost dreading doing a stain job on all the inside molding pieces, because I didn't want to sit there staining every little piece of wood. Being able to rub the stain over a larger board piece will make it move so much quicker. And yeah, I bet that would really help with the brittle wood problem. Thanks!

Stacey

Hi Stacey ... you're coming along very well! I see the problems you're having. The "gappage" along the porch floor appears to be a result of the wall tabs being a bit too large to fit all the way into the floor slots. If you can get them apart and shave the tabs a bit with an X-acto or utility knife, you may be able to solve this. The problem with the uneven floor may very well be a result of this ground floor irregularity.

If you can't get the tabs apart, go with spackle, grout, and/or trim. That and wallpaper will cover a multitude of oopsies!

Love your stuff!

Camera close-ups are the pits, and show every detail, don't they? Guess that's why Playboy Bunnies are air-brushed! LOL!!

The more you learn about your camera, the better pics.

You do a far better job than I. (I just set the scene up and keep taking pics, shifting the lights around until I get something reasonable!)

are your staircases glued in yet? if not I would do your wallpapering first or painting before gluing them in...doing so after is tricky from what I hear.

Painting the outside and putting the outside trim on always seems to make it feel like lots of progress has been made

Happy Building

nutti :lol:

yes!! ditto on this one! nutti gave me this advice before i put in my staircase in my willowcrest.. and let me tell you it was a life saver!! definitley recommend this!

o yes and i agree with you nutt.. now that i painted the outside and the top trim... my house feels alot more "whole" now ;)

Great work so far!!

-Jenny :roflmao:

It's coming along very nicely. Remember wood putty and/or spackle is your friend. They definitely became mine. I've even taken to sanding the large pieces of wood before I remove the parts, saves lots of the hand sanding. BTW I love your rug in the living room(?).