We don't need no stinking badges... or do we?

Mini Man

After a recent update I noticed a new feature that looked interesting.   We can set specific milestones that when reached, a badge is added to your profile.  Not sure if its for us, but I need to re-index the database to take everyone's past contributions into consideration.  This will take probably a week or longer.  Please don't worry if you don't see the correct badges with your account... no need to post about.  Once its complete, I'll discuss with Emily to see if its something we want to implement permanently.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mini Man said:

I'll discuss with Emily to see if it's something we want to implement permanently.

If you're looking for user input ... I'll vote against. I don't see any point in adding whistles and bells to something that is working well. And a badge that says Grand Master isn't going to get me free coffee at Starbucks ... 

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 3

My two cents?  I earned badges in Girl Scouts 70 ++ years ago.  Suddenly I have badges for joining a week ago, a month ago and a year ago!  Whoopee, since I've been here since before the site's first major overhaul in 2005 (2004?)

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

Personally I agree with the others about not needing them. But I'm willing to ignore them if others enjoy getting them. Not everyone has been a girl scout! Lol

I could ignore them too if they were accurate but considering mine just told me that I made my first post 13 hours ago... I think not that was in 2019. To me it turns this place into a competition and not a source of information and support and wonderful ideas.

6 minutes ago, FurMama said:

To me it turns this place into a competition and not a source of information and support and wonderful ideas.

I agree completely. This is not who we are.

Please note that Mini Man warned that the badges would not be accurate until they complete the upgrade. If they stay <shudder>, they will eventually be accurate. Or if they are not accurate, all the more reason to drop them into a bonfire.

I appreciate everyone's input.  I've feel that I've been neglecting the forum and saw this feature and thought we would explore it.  It is indexing all this info in the background dating back to 2005, so it will likely be running for another week.  I'm going to let it complete the process as I'm not sure what the consequences would be if I try to shut it down.   

EDIT:

I found a way to turn them off for now.  

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry folks... thought I turned them off but I guess it was only while it was rebuilding the tables.  I stopped by to run an upgrade and noticed they were back and so I turned them off again.  Wishing everyone Happy Holidays!

Dean  

• 1 year later...

Kelly, if you go back to the top of this topic you'll see that after one of the upgrades we had a 'badges" feature which some of us ignored and some of us outright thought was simply too juvenile for most of this forum's membership.