Artist Salon 1890

jaxenro

I have started my artist Salon circa 1890 (although I am a little slack on the time frame). I will be featuring the works of three Victorian Classicist Painters

John William Godward

Albert Joseph Smith

Frederic Leighton, 1st Baron Leighton

This will basically be a picture frame of framed pictures. I am using the following paintings for reference

Salon du Louvre 1787

LY2lRO7.jpg

Somerset House 1800

fI3pCco.jpg

I started with an empty frame from goodwill

CV4RMYm.jpg

and added the back wall painted in a pale blue

8Lxo8EP.jpg

I have crown molding, wainscotting, and a set of double doors on order the plan is to paint them ivory. I normally don't paint a surface I am going to glue to but in this case I think it will be ok. I have also started treating prints to look like oil paintings and cutting out frames, I have 26 pictures selected but might need more. 26 is a lot of frames to cut

Edited by jaxenro

I am planning this as the centerpiece over the double doors - Flaming June by Leighton - a heavy gold frame to set it off against the ivory and blue background - when the doors are added the scale will show better

nrgK1hF.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

Been playing with white metal 1/43 car kits I made the backdrop from a 1/48 scale bank I cut up and repainted

still need to even out the paint some and finish the windows the pavement is actually the back wall cut apart and laid flat

13hzuqN.jpg

Just a quick shot to show how the "paintings" will look in place gives an idea of the scale

I am trying to find a Jamestown door, or at least the top of one, to enhance the double doors I bought, without paying an arm and a leg for just the top piece so if you see a cheap one steer it my way

ZXZ8g1X.jpg

UaU0Ide.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

Probably but now that I am looking at I am not sure do I use the doors, which take up a lot of room, or just use the wainscotting and the matching strip at the top, buth painted ivory? Or gold? The doors take up a lot of room. And would you go with ivory or gold paint? I am leaning towards leaving the doors off and saving them for when I have a larger frame as I know I will do nother one of these

wainscotting (not trimmed to fit yet)

MLtxnRB.jpg

door

7TvJfQH.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

What about a painting of doors where the doors go? It might not look like a salon then....

Either way all I am modeling is a slice of a larger wall. My thinking with the doors was to show scale but they take up so much space I am really thinking of leaving them off. 

now I am just split between gold woodwork or cream ivory color

Joel, I'm enjoying the creative process and evolution of this project. Thank you for sharing it with us. Have been thinking of how I would approach it. For what it's worth, I think you are right about saving the double doors for a larger frame. The source photos show openings in the wall, not closed doors. especially not closed double doors front and center. You might consider a smaller door off to one side, although a 6-panel door seems out of keeping with the period. Maybe an opening with a tromp l'oeil view through a thick wall or into the next room?

The paintings are spaced much closer together than in the mockup. I'd put no more than 1/8th of an inch between most of them to get that jam-packed feeling.

I'd also include a sliver of flooring at the bottom of the frame to anchor the wall and give the scene some depth.

As for painting the wainscoting, have you considered staining it? A rich wood stain would not compete with the paintings and contrast nicely with a bit of wood flooring in a lighter stain, with the boards angled toward the vanishing point of the scene, or in a marble checkerboard, much as I did in my African shadow box

As I said, I am enjoying watching this project evolve. It is an elegant showcase for your beautiful paintings and will be outstanding, no matter how close you keep to the source pictures.

The paintings are spaced much closer together than in the mockup. I'd put no more than 1/8th of an inchbetween most of them to get that jam-packed feeling”

Agreed on this in the second example the frames are almost touching. I think I will skip the doors also. 

“Cream ivory, Joel.  You already have all those heavy gold frames on the pictures.”

and I like the cream on blue. I was originally thinking Wedgwood colors when I looked for a pale blue this one came out slightly darker. Darker than the paint looks wet I think maybe because I painted over a dark base

It's hard to get the camera to focus in on the overall picture, it seems the blue field just doesn't let it grab focus, so I did a couple close ups as well. Next one I will add some depth to the box this one is essentially flat. Need to get a little more paint in the deep groves

KxVcuo4.jpg

BfWkwgj.jpg

R1lmy97.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting there I have a dozen framed looks like I will need another dozen. I Will decide on the final layout when I have them all framed but mostly the larger ones at the top so they can be seen from the floor better

7jX6gpH.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaxenro said:

Getting there I have a dozen framed looks like I will need another dozen. I Will decide on the final layout when I have them all framed but mostly the larger ones at the top so they can be seen from the floor better

Nice, Joel. I like the variety of designs in the frames.

This is a great idea and can't wait to see it when it is complete. 

I would love to know what you are doing for this: I have also started treating prints to look like oil paintings. 

I have thought about the best way to do this and I would love to hear your process.

Kim