Cutting help!!

willee51

OK, my first attempt at getting into dollhouses!  With 5 grandchildren, now finishing college, I'm hopeful we'll have a great granddaughter in the future.  I've started with a dollhouse box kit, as well as attempting to make my own furniture (1:12).

Not having much accuracy with cutting thin sheet bass wood with a Xacto knife, making of less desirable "glue" joints.

QUESTION: what do you folks use to accurately cut thin sheet, etc.  I see most mini table saws either have horrible reviews or cost as much as my truck :(

Thanks for the Help!!

William, I cut basswood with my Stanley utility knife, the one with retractable blades, rather than the Xacto knife.  I also use a cork-backed steel ruler.  I also make almost all of my furniture.

Hi, William. Welcome to the forum!

Cutting:

1. Exacto knives can be a bit wobbly when cutting wood. Try a box cutter/utility knife with a NEW blade. When it starts to get dull, replace it. 
  2. Even mini table saws can chew up very thin wood.
  3. Use a cork-backed metal ruler as a guide for straight cuts.
  4. Make several shallow passes instead of trying to cut all the way through in one go.
  5. Use a friendly cutting surface, one with a little give, rather than a hard surface. Self-healing cutting mats are readily available. Corrugated cardboard will also work but will have to be discarded after several uses.
  6. Very thin woods (veneers) can sometimes be cut with scissors, depending on the grain.

Gluing:

1. Put some glue in a plastic bottle cap (or on a piece of waxed paper or foil) and dip into it with a toothpick, which can then apply the glue just where you want it. 
  2. Use as little glue as possible to avoid oozing.
  3. Not always necessary to spread glue over an entire surface -- dots of glue will work.
  4. For building construction, I use glue sparingly on wall/ceiling joints but after the glue dries, I go back and run a thin bead along the joint. It is pulled into the opening via capillary action to strengthen the bond.

There are no hard and fast rules for building. There will be other suggestions. Do what feels right for you. If you begin to feel frustrated, walk away for a while. When you return, an alternate approach may well reveal itself to you. :)  

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 1

If you have a Harbor Freight tools around your town, you might want to take a look. Although their tools are not the highest quality for professional construction, I have found them great for miniature work.

You may want to consider a band saw or scroll saw.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:32 PM, madtex1967 said:

Another tip, put a strip of painter's blue tape on the back side of the cut. It will stop the wood from splintering.

That is an excellent idea! I hadn't thought of it. 

Edited by KatFord