Making Crystal Clear Labels and Store Signs

tilliejam62

I just purchased a pack of clear sticker paper for lnkjet printers to make signs for my old fashion, country store (to go in the front windows of the store, but I've never done this before.  Can someone guide me thru the process?  The paper came with no instructions whatsoever.

OLD COUNTRY STORE3.jpg

OLD COUNTRY STORE8 (2).jpg

OLD COUNTRY STORE4.jpg

• Like 1

Cool store! It's been ages since I've done labels/stickers. When I did I used the Print Shop (Word is similar) program.  Mine had  a drop down menu at the top under "file" that said "open" then "new" then "insert text box" then I just typed the phrase...like I said long time ago!  There were selections for brand of label/adhesive paper used so finding where it would print was already done. The same thing could probably be done with any program that types words you would just have to measure the borders of your sticker sheet and play with a piece of plain paper to see the exact location where it will finally print. 

Thank you for your input about the clear labels & signs making process & commendations on the store.  If and when I get it done satisfactorily I will post photos. These photos shown are older  pics of the store and I've done some adjustments - like where the green,  wood sign on the outside, right hand side of the store was removed and replaced with 2 flashing, battery operated lights that says, "OPEN" in red on each side of the store.  Also,  I've added 2 metal hand trucks and watermelons for sale (made from the nut - pecans) to the scene as well.

• Like 1

I tried making store window signs with the clear sticker paper. I wanted to cut the sticker paper to cover the entire window so there wouldn't be a visible seam, but I wasn't able to stick it down to the window without bubbles. I wrote about it here: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12981

Instead, I ended up buying ink jet transparency paper, meant to be used with an overhead projector. The transparency is too flimsy to be a window by itself, but I put it next to the plexiglass window with the printed side facing in, so the printing is protected by the plexiglass. You can see how that turned out here: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=14827

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emily:  Your police office door sign as well as your Blackbird Bar scene door sign are perfect.  I have never worked with sticker paper and made clear signs & labels of any kind before so I am learning by trial & error.  So far, I've selected and downloaded a black, vintage style border for both store windows and second, I will create a name for the store to go within the center of the borders for both windows.  I know I will make mistakes but when you're teaching yourself something new, "crap happens".  LOL LOL

Cynthia:

Thank you for your words of commendation.  I am trying to teach myself so I expect to make mistakes big time but I hope not too many where I use up all the sticker paper (that stuff is expensive!!!) LOL

The outside of the store is actually a two-opening 5" X 7" picture frame from a store called Tuesday Morning.  The interior of the store is a wooden box I had someone make for me  that matched the measurements of the picture frame box.  I used tiny brass hinges to attach them and to be able to open and close the box.  Both the interior & the exterior of the store are about 3 inches deep inside.  I made the watermelons from real pecans (the nut) & 2 different colors of green acrylic paints.  The lights are working lights, except the flashing, "OPEN" lights are battery operated. Only one blinking "OPEN" light of the 2 is shown as one has to be repaired. (photos to follow).

Edited by tilliejam62

I really, really surprised myself with making the store signs with the sticker paper for the very first time (and  most likely the last time  LOL), all by myself.  It's not perfect but they will do and is going in both windows of the country store. I suppose you'll have to wait on the photos showing my accomplishments cause I cannot seem to resize them small enough to post here so I will wait to post the new photos when I'm completely done with the storefront.

Edited by tilliejam62
photos were too large to post.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a bakery/candy shop....for the front store window lettering I ended up using rub on transfers from Dollar Tree. I practiced a few times on spare plastic sheets, then rubbed them onto the clear windows that came with the kit. I needed to get it right because the kit windows included the pre-printed window panes for the transom windows attached, and I didn't want to have to recreated them if I messed up the originals.

1Front1.jpg