What Am I Making?

jaxenro

Going to post some in progress shots as this develops and see if you can figure out what it is. I don't have anything more than a vague idea of what I want it to look like and that I want to use mostly scraps I have already - my only purchase when it isn't too hot to run to the store will be a 1/2" square dowel

hint - it is inspired by empire style and supposed to be made in a home workshop

zT1YM34.jpg

Drew up some plans to follow - sort of

it is a regular bed in sort of American Empire style but a more rustic version. The entire thing is veneered in mahogany burl. Somehow Holly figured it out from one base piece? Anyway working on this and a pair of end tables to match all that Southwestern furniture I did

I am thinking of something to top each post like a wooden globe or urn or something. Or a metal one. Posts are about 1/2" so anything 1/2" diameter would work. 

yaTehwY.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

"Empire style" and "made in a home workshop" sort of gave it away...  Wish.com is selling packets of ornamental wooden beads, but don't give dimensions, so I don't know if any are 1/2" diameter.   Michael's and Hobby Lobby used to have packets of itty wood turnings like eggs, vases, candle holders and milk bottles that might be sanded, turned and stained to match that might make suitable finial knobs.

yes or a jewelry finding that is under 12mm or 1/2" would work - i was looking at 12mm stone beads thought that might be interesting like a swirly agate - going to see if I can find any drilled only half through

one of the back posts some final sanding to go - final oil finish after it is assembled

efc6Xs7.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

That's a daybed, not a full-on bed with headboard and footboard, isn't it? Empire beds generally had the finials only on the rear posts, the side up against the wall. The fronts were finished with end caps, although on yours that has posts, a filigree jewelry finding affixed to the top of the post should look really good. The rear finials were all manner of things: brass eagles, turnings, urns, etc. Sue Cook has two pineapple finials that are 1/2" wide, available in plaster or white metal. IMO the white metal would be easier to gild or faux paint.

In the search field to the right of Sue's catalog page, linked below, enter FN6 for the plaster version and FN7 for the white metal version. Both the same price (Five GBP but that's for a pair). I can't seem to link directly to the items themselves (the URL never changes!).

https://www.suecookminiatures.com/shop/index.php

Here's an example of an Empire bed with the finials only on the rear posts. The forum is being finicky again and not letting me insert images from URLs.

https://a.1stdibscdn.com/archivesB/upload/8379/229/p8130024.jpg

no it has a headboard and footboard so a full on bed. Just the back is a little higher - sometimes they were higher sometimes not

as for finials thy were often on the front and back, only the back, only the headboard, matching, not matching. The only rule is there isn't one

WAwRInW.jpgYTQglEb.jpgQDz85WM.jpgeUGg6g8.jpg

I was thinking something like these - green agate balls slightly smaller than the post in diameter, cheap, natural, and will add that splash of drama. I can snip the stud shorter, drill a hole in the post, and set them in. in scale that is only about 6" diameter so not too out of reach

ORPcmTd.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

you can see the start of it coming together here although it isn't glued or anything. The burl disappears under sanding but pops right out with the oil finish. After I add the feet the entire join with get an additional layer of veneer as shown in the drawing

I will try to orient the posts with the most uninteresting grain in the back. Also I found some really thin (1/16") black ebony in my scraps box so will use that to "cap" the rounded part of the sides and ends to give it a little more oomph

szTmDT9.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

for a mattress I was thinking of a really nice silk velvet - red, purple, royal blue, something bright and regal - but am open to suggestions. I don't have much but leather in my scrap box and I don't think leather would fit but if anyone has a scrap of suitable fabric they want to part with please let me know. something rich looking.

It's almost impossible to find cardboard applicator tampons now. They're all plastic. (Apologies to the men in the room!) But I've used dowels for round pillows.

1 hour ago, fov said:

It's almost impossible to find cardboard applicator tampons now.

Well, that sure dates me!   

jaxenro said: I could roll thin cardboard around a dowel to the required diameter

Or just use the dowel as a base, wrap it with cloth.

For a simple quick nothing project this thing is talking time. Each square needs to be veneered on all sides and the longest piece I can do is 8”. Hopefully I will have the base and posts done today. 

I bought the agate earrings off of eBay but they are shipping from China so I expect it will all be done before they arrive 

Recently I bought a book via eBay. Everything went fine until they sent it to Atlanta, otherwise known as the black hole of the USPS. All they needed to do was send it to North Metro, GA but of course they sent it to North Something, NC. North Carolina, in their wisdom, forwarded it to Gainesville. Unfortunately it was Gainesville, Florida, not Georgia. Gainesville sent it back to Atlanta who, wonders of wonders, sent it to North Metro, GA. They then sent it to Gainesville, GA.

I am less worried about the time from China to Atlanta than Atlanta to my house