Windows & Doors - help a newbie please!

MaggieNF

Hi! I've wanted to rehab a dollhouse for years...and about 2 months ago I found a beautiful  gem for $20 on Facebook and I don't think I've ever bought anything quicker. Anyway, I've started the renovations, but I'm stuck as to the windows and doors. A couple of windows are missing, and the front door is gone. The windows and French doors that are there have discolored acetate. So, I'd love to put new winows and doors in altogether...but how? Some quick Googling has lead to me believe this is a risky move and very, very hard. Please tell me Google is wrong??? Help. (Tried to insert picture of same dollhouse but it's not letting me) Here's a link, if it matters any. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/K3YE1X5SscAjZfGG6

Edited by MaggieNF

Welcome Maggie :wave:

It can be done!

A company named Dura-Craft is who made the house, and they are no longer in business.

You could try to put new windows in, but they may not fit exactly. The easiest way would entail removing the trim that is holding the acetate in place. You can buy clear acetate sheets at Hobby Lobby and Miniatures.com. To remove the trim you need to use a heat source like a hot blow dry to soften the glue and a putty knife to gently lift the trim off of the house.

You may be able to put a new door in the opening. Have you measured the opening and checked for replacements yet?

• Thanks 1

Hi Maggie! You could make your own replacement windows and doors. Even cutting them from thick card would work. I use card for windows and doors as it’s cheap, available and easy to cut. 

I love the Duracraft houses. So pretty. Have fun!

• Thanks 1

Your house looks like the Newberg(by Dura-Craft), and the doors' and windows' parts were part of the kit (I have built the Dura-Craft San Franciscan and also their Cambridge), so if you're handy with a utility knife and have some sheets of 1/8" or thinner basswood(or chipboard, as Shannon suggests) and a cork-backed steel ruler and self-healing cutting mat, you are good to go.  I you decide to go with ready-made components, carefully measure your openings and check out the HBS website (miniatures.com) tosee what you can find; you may have to enlarge or fill in some of the openings.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Your house looks like the Newberg(by Dura-Craft)

The link in the first post pretty much nails it as a Linfield by Dura-Craft. :)  Nevertheless, it is a charming house. A rose by any other name, eh?

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Your house looks like the Newberg(by Dura-Craft), and the doors' and windows' parts were part of the kit (I have built the Dura-Craft San Franciscan and also their Cambridge), so if you're handy with a utility knife and have some sheets of 1/8" or thinner basswood(or chipboard, as Shannon suggests) and a cork-backed steel ruler and self-healing cutting mat, you are good to go.  I you decide to go with ready-made components, carefully measure your openings and check out the HBS website (miniatures.com) tosee what you can find; you may have to enlarge or fill in some of the openings.

I've got the utility knife, corkbacked ruler and a mat...but up until the other day I honestly don't think I'd ever heard of basswood! A friend of mine that that does phenomenal dollhouse flips mentioned she made a door out of basswood and I made a mental note to check out what that was. See, told ya - newbie. Lol

1 hour ago, shannonc60 said:

Hi Maggie! You could make your own replacement windows and doors. Even cutting them from thick card would work. I use card for windows and doors as it’s cheap, available and easy to cut. 

I love the Duracraft houses. So pretty. Have fun!

Definitely thinking that doing my own is going to be the way to go on this one. Wish me luck...not exactly the handiest girl around, haha.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MaggieNF said:

Definitely thinking that doing my own is going to be the way to go on this one. Wish me luck...not exactly the handiest girl around, haha.

Go girl! Using cardboard is cheap. Practice, and cut a template to check fit and you’ll be fine!

• Like 1